Thread: Total Internet vs. webConnect Data... why is webConnect $20/mo more?

Device(s)
    LG Rumor
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Total Internet vs. webConnect Data... why is webConnect $20/mo more?

The data party's over...

Comparing plans, it looks like Total Internet is a complete win over webConnect data. TI is listed as "unlimited", it has a voice option (if you need it), *and* it's $20/mo cheaper. What's the advantage of webConnect Data that I'd pay more per month for?

My main reason for asking is that I'm on a FlexPay 300 + Total Internet plan and I was periodically using a data card, but mostly tethering my TM-506 if needed. I would have gotten data-only TI originally (mid-2008) but I failed the credit check due to lack of credit (I assume). At the time I had one credit card (8+ years and never late), a well-paying job I'd had since 2003, and *no debt*. ****ers. Anyway, now that TMO has blocked data cards without a webConnect plan, I may need to mix things up a bit.

I assume that by now with 18 months of good-standing on FlexPay (and a second credit card since then) I can convert to postpaid data-only Total Internet and retain my ability to use data cards when I need to. Or my TM-506.

Or not? Suggestions?

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    cheat ppl to pay more!
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbw
    What's the advantage of webConnect Data that I'd pay more per month for?

My main reason
    You answered your own question in your post. You asked why does T-Mobile charge more for webconnect, and then you said, T-Mobile only allows data cards on webconnect...there's your answer.

As for flexpay, they apparently are able to convert flexpay to postpay now. But if you qualify and if they give you the same plan you have now, it won't affect whether you can use a data card. Data cards will still be blocked on post paid Total Internet.

Device(s)
    LG Rumor
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Ok, so basically Total Internet (both standalone $39.99 and the $19.99 add-on) is only for phones, while the webConnect plans are only for data cards...?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbw
    Ok, so basically Total Internet (both standalone $39.99 and the $19.99 add-on) is only for phones, while the webConnect plans are only for data cards...?
    Yes, that's basically it. You can check on this more in the Data Card/USB modem subforum, but it's my understand that T-Mobile blocks pretty much all data cards unless it's on a webconnect plan. People were getting by with some generic 3G cards initially, but then T-Mobile blocked their IMEI numbers.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    why not get a HSPA 7.2 device and tether it, you'll get the same result as you would with a USB stick and also are able to pay the lower rate.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50