Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's better to work for? T-Mobile or AT&T? (both want me :O)

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Who's better to work for? T-Mobile or AT&T? (both want me :O)

Hello! First time poster here...I couldn't find an exact answer by searching the forums, maybe some of you could give me input on this.

I interviewed for T-Mobile last Friday for a new store which will be opening in California. On Monday they called and said they'd like a 2nd interview, but I'd need to fill out their HireRight background check first-- so I got the email and filled it out. The results are pending at the moment. They said starting pay is $11.25 + no cap on commission.

Then I had an interview on Monday with AT&T. The manager said he'd like to get the hiring done ASAP, and only had one other candidate to interview after me. I got an email later that day from HireRight for the background check. I fill that out, and got a phone call today from the recruiter telling me they'd like to take me on as my background check passed. She tells me that the starting salary is about $20-24k + $10-$15k in commission (doesn't mention if there's a cap on commission). Then she tells me I'll be getting a request for a drug screening which I'll need to complete by Friday. She has also sent out the hiring package, which should arrive tomorrow.

My question is...if T-Mobile decides they would like to hire me, should I go with them or AT&T? I was thinking that since the T-Mobile store is brand new, it might be better since they might not have set store quotas yet. But I wasn't sure if I should go with AT&T since they're losing their exclusive iPhone contract this year.

Both stores are located in very good neighborhoods, so I couldn't rule one out based on location. Does anyone have any input? Any help would be very much appreciated. I don't want to be too confident saying T-Mobile is definitely going to want me, but just in case it happens I would like to be prepared to make a decision.

Thanks so much!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I worked for AT&T for 3 years and currently have worked at T-Mobile for almost 6 months...

Benefits of AT&T:
    --Free phone (Company owned phone however)
    --More professional i.e. business cards w/ name & cell #, get to pick which kind of uniform you would like to wear(lots of different colors/types of shirts to choose from)
    --Free bluetooth
    --Better discount on accessories
    --A set amount of PTO hours is given to you each year(T-Mobile gives you a certain amount each pay period which sucks)

Cons of AT&T:
    --Alot of expectations are set after your three month probation period: Goals are ridiculous and payout isn't worth it--commission has been lowered every year since 2006.
    --Because of the union, you have to do EVERYTHING by the book. Be on time by the minute, approve your timecard each week, read CPNI to each customer etc etc
    --No EXCEPTIONS for missing work...you will get written up anytime you call out of work or you are running late...no situation overrides that unless you have FMLA.

Benefits of T-Mobile:
    --Great health benefits WITHOUT Union help and you can sign up for them as soon as you are hired
    --Commission is great, you can easily break $1,000 in commission each month in a store that has little traffic
    --Quotas are assigned however are not enforced as they are with AT&T.
    --T-Mobile will not fire you for not hitting quotas
    --Schedule is flexible...seniority does not apply, you can make requests to your manager with no problem.
    --You will not get written up for occasionally being tardy or calling out of work. If it becomes a habit, then you may have a problem.
    --Atmosphere is very laidback, no pressure, you don't have to feel like your job is in jeopardy each time you help a customer depending on what phone you lead with.

Cons of T-Mobile:
    --They don't give business cards with your name
    --Uniforms are corny lol
    --Accumulating PTO sucks...
    --Marketing is horrible...so you generally have to explain to customers the new phones and plans because most of them don't know.
    --T-Mobile comes out with something they feel we should try every other month to help improve our sales techniques...it's annoying.
    --HUGE discount on cell phone plan...$20 a month for 2000mins/myfavs/unl web&text.

IMO, T-Mobile is a lot less stressful than working at AT&T was...the hourly rate at AT&T is better however commission is better at T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I've only worked for t-mobile and Verizonand by far T-Mobilehas been the better experience. It's a completely laid back atomsphere, great benefits low stress and my pay isn't bad compared to what the other carriers offer. if you can sell you will be fine. I'm in a tier 3 store, half way through this month I'm looking at about 1800 in commission so far. I usually am around 2500. if ya work hard you can make the $

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thank you so, so very much for your input! I've just received my hiring packet from AT&T today and did the drug test (still waiting for HireRight to clear background check), but once that's cleared, my recruiter is going to set me up for training.

T-Mobile said they'd like for HireRight to clear the background check first before they set up my 2nd interview, so hopefully that will happen sooner than later. Initially I really wanted to work for T-Mobile much more than I did AT&T...but since AT&T made me an offer first, I didn't know how to feel.

I talked to a friend that works with AT&T currently and she said that since AT&T offers more than just mobile services, it's difficult to meet/exceed the quotas for the line services they also offer such as internet and landlines.

Thank you again! This has really given me a good prospective of how these two companies differ. Let's just hope T-Mobile gets back to me before I start training at AT&T! I would feel so embarrassed if I left the company in my first week if T-Mobile were late to respond.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If T-Mobile has already done the hireright process they will more than likely hire you granted nothing outrageous happens in the second interview. The company's policy is doing two interviews for each person they hire. I was told by two managers that they only do the HireRight process if they feel you're going to be hired.

Device(s)
    Nokia Twist
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I worked for AT&T for 5 years up until I quit last year, and it was overall a good experience. I was a good rep, and made very good money, but quit to explore other oppurtunities.
    Cons:
    1. The Union is a joke, I will never work another Union job. The Union promotes laziness, and gives bad reps a since of entitlement.

2. Promotions are far and few between. They hire from outside the company for most management positions. Also, I was offered a asst. management spot, but I would of taken a pay cut. WTF!

3. You are very "micro-managed". You will have a manager over your shoulder all day, and following you with a clipboard, making sure you do the sales process.

4. Too many products to offer now, with all the home products. It is hard to stay focused on everything.

Pros:
    1. If you are a very good sells rep, in a busy location, you can make very good money. We had two people in my store that made over 100k last year. But, if you work at a slow store(mall kiosk) you will starve and die.

2. Free phone and service, good benefits, and they match on 401k.

3. The hourly pay really adds up over the long haul. I made about $15/hr when I quit, which was pretty nice during slow periods of the year. That keeps your paychecks more consistent, unlike more commission based jobs where you have very good months, and very bad months.

Feedback Score
    Cory where is your store located? LOL. My store ranks as one of the busiest stores in the nation and I don't see pay like that. Not since 2 commission structures ago.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Orlando sir. I'm in a Tier 3 store too if you really want to crap yourself. I bust my *** each and every day to get that commission.

Device(s)
    T-mobile 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah with commission it really is all about selling what makes you the most money. Features and Post paid. Getting the multiplier did help as well. One of the reps I work with usually sells more new lines but her commission check is always lower because she does a lot of flexpay and prepaid. I get a lot of postpaid and get paid more money. You have to work and hussle for it, but in the end your commission check is always a lot higher.

Feedback Score
    I left tmobile on good terms after 4 years and recently joined att. The person you interviewed from tmobile is lieing to you there is a cap there. trust me i hit 300 percent of my quota and only got paid at 200 percent. You will never have enough staffing to cover your store while you bust your ***. ATT takes care of their managers. I actually make more than i did at tmobile and i had one of the top 10 stores in my region every month in and out. GO TO ATT....TMOBILE IS IN A FINANCIAL TROUBLE AND CUT COMMISSION AGAIN THIS MONTH FOR EMPLOYEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Cutting commission? AT&T cuts commission every year as their profits increase. Umm I know 80% of management received a paycut this year. The reps commission improved and we already had a good commission structure. I don't know where you're getting your information from bro...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Regardless -- you'll still make more working for AT&T, but you put up with a lot more. T-Mobile pay is less but you'll keep your peace of mind.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IFBrock
    Regardless -- you'll still make more working for AT&T, but you put up with a lot more. T-Mobile pay is less but you'll keep your peace of mind.
    Honestly I think that it could be debated ad nausem who has the better pay, some people will always say one company over another. I personally believe that if someone is a great rep, they'll know how to work which ever company that they work for commission structure in a way that they'll always pull in great money.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by corys00
    Honestly I think that it could be debated ad nausem who has the better pay, some people will always say one company over another. I personally believe that if someone is a great rep, they'll know how to work which ever company that they work for commission structure in a way that they'll always pull in great money.
    Well yes -- commission plays a big part of it (and location plays a big part in that) -- but when you boil it down to plain salary... glassdoor shows an at&t rep will make more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by corys00
    Orlando sir. I'm in a Tier 3 store too if you really want to crap yourself. I bust my *** each and every day to get that commission.
    Although this is unlikely, it is definitely possible. Cory must be in a store that does a lot of upgrades (store "tiers" are only based only on acts) to smart phones and get riduculous ARPU. Hey, if he can get $35 ARPU with all of his customers, I will love to have him transfer to my store =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast