Thread: Java/j2me/midp installer?

Device(s)
    Samsung t401g
    Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score

Java/j2me/midp installer?

I've got a Samsung fone that's pretty locked down, I can kind of backdoor it and download jar's from webmail and install them but it still eats up airtime.

It's got a sd card and bluetooth that I can put jars onto the fone, but it wont let me do anything with them once they're there. The icon for the files is a question mark, like the .jar association has been removed.

So.. I guess what I'm asking is if there is an app I can install on the fone that can install other jars or trigger the java installer, or an app that can fix the association for the jar files.. Or just something that will allow me to install jar files from the sd card.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Device(s)
    Nokia E71x
    Feedback Score
    I never found a way around this with my old Samsung (A737) on AT&T and believe me, I looked. Carriers want you to pay for their data service, so they lock their phones down and make it impossible to install apps without downloading them from the internet (at least not without a great deal of knowledge about programming and the nature of the phone's security). Very annoying...

Device(s)
    Samsung t401g
    Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Well, I've done a little digging, it appears to me that the installer is part of the java system itself and is able to be called through a java function. So theoretically it should be pretty simple to code a small little app that calls the installer function on a jar file. Which is what I believe the built in web browser does when it downloads a jar from the internet.

I'm not a programmer by any means, but tossing together a file chooser and a function call together and compiling it with j2me from sun shouldn't be too hard. Lemme look into it more. I could be way off base. But if not, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Both a .jar and a .jad file are necessary

In addition to the .jar files, you need a corresponding .jad file, which is basically a description of the .jar file. When you install an app over the internet, the link is to the .jad file, and within it is the location of the .jar file.

It is worth a try and put a .jad file (with the correct location of the .jar file inside - it is a simple text file) on the memory card and try to open that one...

Device(s)
    Samsung t401g
    Carrier(s)
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I've tried a jad file too.. It's like the built in file browser just doesn't have an association to .jad or .jar files. There's no option to open those files and the icon for them is just a big ?

I do know that I can email just the .jar file to a certain service and then download it from the fone's web browser and it will install, but that takes some serious minutes to do and really sucks on prepaid.

Device(s)
    samsung sch r560
    Carrier(s)
    CRICKET MO
    Feedback Score

Chicago your phone?

i see you have as your avatar the 45o from samsung... i think the system for games and apps is brew- i got a 560 and ive been working a way out to backdoor games into brew- you have unicdma and qpst? take a look inside the games and apps and seeif there is an apploader and look around to see if it is BREW based- which has been built to eliminate free games and apps on phones.

SYLO