Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: METROPCS SAMSUNG MESSAGER 2 r560 TETHERING SUCESSFUL!!! (with dun and phone settings)

Feedback Score

METROPCS SAMSUNG MESSAGER 2 r560 TETHERING SUCESSFUL!!! (with dun and phone settings)

Hey folks out there! I got a samsung messager sch-r560 and have been vigorously for a solution. Apparently all of the tech people online haven't been able to figure out a full proof solution. While I'm not 100% sure on how all of this "tethering stuff" works I have sucessfully tethered my phone to my home pc and have a steady 230.4 kbps connection established! How did I do it? Here's what you will need:
    Samsung Messager 2 sch-r560 with metro web and the DUN option enabled (duh!)
    A recent samsung phone usb cable (mine came with my phone and the one for the original samsung messager wont work.)
    A PC with internet explorer 7 and windows XP (sorry MAC users im not completely sure on the settings for whatever internet browser and which drivers for the phone would be compatible. YES I KNOW WINDOWS VISTA AND OTHER VERSIONS OF INTERNET EXPLORER PROBABLY HAS THE SAME FORMAT WHEN IT COMES TO APPLYING THE SETTINGS I'M JUST STATING WHAT I USED FOR THIS STUNT!)
    SAMSUNG NEW PC STUDIO (I don't really think you need this but you will need usb drivers for the phone so the computer can recognize the phone as a modem.
    PATIENCE AND PERSERVERANCE (If at first you don't suceed try try again!

First you must enable the DUN function on the cell phone. DUN stands for "Dialup Network" but if you're searching for this topic you probably already know that! To do this you must unlock the master lock on the actual cell phone so you can access the administrator settings on the phone. Now the code for unlocking the phone is called the "subsidy code" don't know why its called that but the code for my phone is 587846. To enter your subsidy code on your cell phone you must open the "hidden menu" on your phone by being on your main screen (with your wallpaper showing) press the menu button, the 9 button and then the # button. When you see a prompt that says "User Lock" and asks for a six digit code type in your subsidy code. Mine was 587846 but I hear that everyone's unlock code isn't the same and that there is a "subsidy code calculator" out there on the internet. Some default codes are 000000,111111, and apparently 333333 for Cricket phones but again you'll probably have to figure it out with the calculator. (My friend called MetroPCS and was lucky enough to find a representive that KNEW what they were doing and they told them their subsidy code!!)

After you FINALLY manage to unlock your phone's "master system info menu" scroll down to DUN and enable it. I have heard rumors that messing with the other settings will screw up your phone. Personally I do it all the time and nothing has happened. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK THOUGH! Don't come crying to me when your phone doesn't work anymore! After you've selected the enable option under DUN press the "C" button (clear) to leave the menu. You can come back anytime using the same method described earlier with your respective subsidy code.

Now for the "difficult stuff". Connect your phone with a usb cable to your computer. If the computer registers your phone as a mass storage device and on your phone's screen you see "PC Connection" and a picture of a memory card exit USB mass storage mode on your phone but make under your phone's "normal settings" it still has USB MASS STORAGE selected and not NO CONNECTION. If the computer registers the phone as a SAMSUNG MODEM and the CDMA TECHNOLOGIES drivers and stuff automatically install without any snags then you're ahead of the game and can skip to the next paragraph. If not and when you go under "Phones and Modems" in the control panel and go to the modems tab you see no SAMSUNG MODEM then you're gonna have to do some work. First you must get your hands on some samsung usb drivers. I used the Samsung New PC Studio that came with my sister's Samsung Freeform and it had the drivers for my phone too. I'm pretty sure the samsung website have some or you can find another post that can give you drivers. When I figure this out completely I'll try to upload the drivers I use. After you managed to find and install the drivers on your computer hopefully the computer will now read the phone as a modem after you have exited USB MASS STORAGE mode.

Now for the DUN settings on the computer. First go to Network Connections under the control panel and create a new connection. You want to select "Connect to Internet" then "Set Up my Connection Manually" then "Connect Using a Dial-up Modem" then if you have more than 1 dial-up modem select the SAMSUNG MODEM otherwise it automatically uses it then type in anything for the ISP name (I use "MetroPCS" it doesn't matter) then #777 for the phone number then in the field marked username type [email protected] for example > [email protected] (no hyphens no spaces) and then for the password simply mymetropcs and you're done (sort of).

Now open your internet explorer and under the tools menu select internet options. Go to the tab labeled connections and make sure the connection you created is the default one. You can either select the option "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" or "Always dial my default connection". Select your connection you just made and click settings. On this screen make sure the only box that is checked is the box that says "Use a proxy server for this connection" and for the proxy address type in wap.metropcs.net and for the port number type in 3128. Exit out these settings and you're almost ready!

Now I THINK this is the part that I may be wrong on and this has stumped many others. Call metro's 611 and then hang up. I'm not sure this is the reason it works on my phone but every time I've done this it seems to work! I'm NOT KIDDING!

Attempt to connect to the internet and hopefully you've established a slow but definite 5$ unlimited 230.4 kbps internet connection. Now many people get an error that the remote computer didn't respond. RESTART YOUR PHONE. If you get the 691 error that the username and password could not be verified make sure you typed in those two correctly and that you called metro 611 and hung up. If you get an error that the modem is busy make sure you aren;t doing anything on the phone i.e. on the web, having a call, sending or receiving data, etc. If you have any problems let me know and I know that I spelled out ALOT of stuff and I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

EDIT: SCRATCH THE CALLING 611 STUFF!!! I realized that WAS NOT the reason it worked. What you do is go to phones and modems in the control panel go to the modem tab and select the samsung modem and go to its properties. Go to the advanced tab and in the field that says extra initialization commands put in at+crm=1;+cmux=1;+cps=33;+cta=0 and ATTEMPT to connect. You will receive an error by doing this! After you get the erro you clear the extra initialization commands field and exit. THIS IS A VERY WEIRD METHOD BUT IT WORKS!! And also anytime you disconnect you will have to repeat this method again (inserting the stuff in the init command, connect, delete, then connect again)
    Last edited by tbpb2010; 03-09-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Metro
    Feedback Score

FAntastic News.

Quote Originally Posted by tbpb2010
    Hey folks out there! I got a samsung messager sch-r560 and have been vigorously for a solution. Apparently all of the tech people online haven't been able to figure out a full proof solution. While I'm not 100% sure on how all of this "tethering stuff" works I have sucessfully tethered my phone to my home pc and have a steady 230.4 kbps connection established! How did I do it? Here's what you will need:
    A recent samsung phone usb cable (mine came with my phone and the one for the original samsung messager wont work.)
    A PC with internet explorer 7 and windows XP (sorry MAC users im not completely sure on the settings for whatever internet browser and which drivers for the phone would be compatible. YES I KNOW WINDOWS VISTA AND OTHER VERSIONS OF INTERNET EXPLORER PROBABLY HAS THE SAME FORMAT WHEN IT COMES TO APPLYING THE SETTINGS I'M JUST STATING WHAT I USED FOR THIS STUNT!)
    SAMSUNG NEW PC STUDIO (I don't really think you need this but you will need usb drivers for the phone so the computer can recognize the phone as a modem.

First you must enable the DUN function on the cell phone. DUN stands for "Dialup Network" but if you're searching for this topic you probably already know that! To do this you must unlock the master lock on the actual cell phone so you can access the administrator settings on the phone. Now the code for unlocking the phone is called the "subsidy code" don't know why its called that but the code for my phone is 587846. To enter your subsidy code on your cell phone you must open the "hidden menu" on your phone by being on your main screen (with your wallpaper showing) press the menu button, the 9 button and then the # button. When you see a prompt that says "User Lock" and asks for a six digit code type in your subsidy code. Mine was 587846 but I hear that everyone's unlock code isn't the same and that there is a "subsidy code calculator" out there on the internet. Some default codes are 000000,111111, and apparently 333333 for Cricket phones but again you'll probably have to figure it out with the calculator. (My friend called MetroPCS and was lucky enough to find a representive that KNEW what they were doing and they told them their subsidy code!!)

After you FINALLY manage to unlock your phone's "master system info menu" scroll down to DUN and enable it. I have heard rumors that messing with the other settings will screw up your phone. Personally I do it all the time and nothing has happened. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK THOUGH! Don't come crying to me when your phone doesn't work anymore! After you've selected the enable option under DUN press the "C" button (clear) to leave the menu. You can come back anytime using the same method described earlier with your respective subsidy code.

Now for the "difficult stuff". Connect your phone with a usb cable to your computer. If the computer registers your phone as a mass storage device and on your phone's screen you see "PC Connection" and a picture of a memory card exit USB mass storage mode on your phone but make under your phone's "normal settings" it still has USB MASS STORAGE selected and not NO CONNECTION. If the computer registers the phone as a SAMSUNG MODEM and the CDMA TECHNOLOGIES drivers and stuff automatically install without any snags then you're ahead of the game and can skip to the next paragraph. If not and when you go under "Phones and Modems" in the control panel and go to the modems tab you see no SAMSUNG MODEM then you're gonna have to do some work. First you must get your hands on some samsung usb drivers. I used the Samsung New PC Studio that came with my sister's Samsung Freeform and it had the drivers for my phone too. I'm pretty sure the samsung website have some or you can find another post that can give you drivers. When I figure this out completely I'll try to upload the drivers I use. After you managed to find and install the drivers on your computer hopefully the computer will now read the phone as a modem after you have exited USB MASS STORAGE mode.

Now for the DUN settings on the computer. First go to Network Connections under the control panel and create a new connection. You want to select "Connect to Internet" then "Set Up my Connection Manually" then "Connect Using a Dial-up Modem" then if you have more than 1 dial-up modem select the SAMSUNG MODEM otherwise it automatically uses it then type in anything for the ISP name (I use "MetroPCS" it doesn't matter) then #777 for the phone number then in the field marked username type [email protected] for example > [email protected] (no hyphens no spaces) and then for the password simply mymetropcs and you're done (sort of).

Now open your internet explorer and under the tools menu select internet options. Go to the tab labeled connections and make sure the connection you created is the default one. You can either select the option "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" or "Always dial my default connection". Select your connection you just made and click settings. On this screen make sure the only box that is checked is the box that says "Use a proxy server for this connection" and for the proxy address type in wap.metropcs.net and for the port number type in 3128. Exit out these settings and you're almost ready!

Now I THINK this is the part that I may be wrong on and this has stumped many others. Call metro's 611 and then hang up. I'm not sure this is the reason it works on my phone but every time I've done this it seems to work! I'm NOT KIDDING!

Attempt to connect to the internet and hopefully you've established a slow but definite 5$ unlimited 230.4 kbps internet connection. Now many people get an error that the remote computer didn't respond. RESTART YOUR PHONE. If you get the 691 error that the username and password could not be verified make sure you typed in those two correctly and that you called metro 611 and hung up. If you get an error that the modem is busy make sure you aren;t doing anything on the phone i.e. on the web, having a call, sending or receiving data, etc. If you have any problems let me know and I know that I spelled out ALOT of stuff and I don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!
    I tried so many things, and gave up on this. Its great to hear that it is working. Will do so. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You the man!!!!

Feedback Score

EDIT: SCRATCH THE CALLING 611 STUFF!!! I realized that WAS NOT the reason it worked. What you do is go to phones and modems in the control panel go to the modem tab and select the samsung modem and go to its properties. Go to the advanced tab and in the field that says extra initialization commands put in at+crm=1;+cmux=1;+cps=33;+cta=0 and ATTEMPT to connect. You will receive an error by doing this! After you get the erro you clear the extra initialization commands field and exit. THIS IS A VERY WEIRD METHOD BUT IT WORKS!! And also anytime you disconnect you will have to repeat this method again (inserting the stuff in the init command, connect, delete, then connect again)

For anyone struggling to find the drivers for the Samsung Messager 2 sch-r560 I copied the ones from my system folder and uploaded them online. Here's the link: http://www.filehat.com/en/file/10093...ivers-zip.html You got to download this file, unzip it and move the files to this file directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and then attempt to install your samsung phone again. Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Hey the driver link doesn't work.

Also, I always get 691 after numerous retries. I'm on $40/month plan, do I have to add some extra feature to use DUN?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    ok i finally got tether connected after putting in some modem strings, but that's it, no data or whatsoever, tried everything, totally puzzled.

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Good to see some new blood posting up some tut's

Good Job
    HITMAN OF THE METRO MAFIA

Feedback Score
    Just hit "Done" on the phone when it says "Connect to PC" and exit USM mode.

To disable it, go to:
    Menu -> Settings -> Phone Settings -> PC Connection -> No Connection.
    That'll turn off the phone's "Mass Storage Device" identification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lessmeat
    Hey the driver link doesn't work.

Also, I always get 691 after numerous retries. I'm on $40/month plan, do I have to add some extra feature to use DUN?

Thanks
    Whoops! I realized that the files i posted weren't all of the files needed apparently and i know some folks out threre are frusterated... so ill try to figure out exactly what are needed and will reply as soon as possible! (cuz i know how it feels when that error message pops up teasing the life and sanity out of u! )

Feedback Score
    ok i finally got tether connected after putting in some modem strings, but that's it, no data or whatsoever, tried everything, totally puzzled.
    did u try deleting the string after u got the error message "modem failed to intialize?" then try to connect again?

Carrier(s)
    Metro
    Feedback Score
    Don't rip on me, but I could not get it working.

Carrier(s)
    Metro
    Feedback Score
    A couple hours after trying to use the phone to tether, I tried to use it for metroweb on the handset. For the first time ever, I kept getting a response of "can not resolve host." Metroweb only started working again after I pulled the battery, and shut the phone off completely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Class
    A couple hours after trying to use the phone to tether, I tried to use it for metroweb on the handset. For the first time ever, I kept getting a response of "can not resolve host." Metroweb only started working again after I pulled the battery, and shut the phone off completely.

exactly the same here. tried everything imaginable. disappointed

Feedback Score
    exactly the same here. tried everything imaginable. disappointed
    Yeah, that happens sometimes, all u really need to do is just reset the phone but what exactly is preventing u from establishing a connection? Is is an error message, not able to find the drivers? Plz post details and I'll try 2 remedy the issue...

Feedback Score

Need some help?

I didi everything word for word.I keep getting error 692 when i attempt to
    connect.Please ,thank you.

Feedback Score
    @teched095

You did the following steps in this order? (of course after enabling DUN and installing the modem)

1.)Typed in at+crm=1;+cmux=1;+cps=33;+cta=0 into the extra init commands field under Phone and Modem Options > Properties of the SAMSUNG MODEM.

2.)ATTEMPTED to connect with your "MetroPCS" connection and received the error message 628, and sometimes 692 (the error message u r getting)

3.)Deleted the at+crm=1;+cmux=1;+cps=33;+cta=0 already in the extra init commands field under Phone and Modem Options > Properties of the SAMSUNG MODEM.

4.)Then connected again to the "MetroPCS" connection. This time after it says "Verifying Username and Password" it says "Registering your computer on the Network" and establishes the connection.

SIDE NOTE: I may not be able to reply daily but I will guarentee that I will be able to check in within a week and post comments so srry if I take a while to reply. (Just like anyone else I got a busy life and I can't always have access to a computer)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast