Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: the idiocy of "there's an app for that..."

Device(s)
    x6, nokia e71, nexus one
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    yes, i have a very big problem with "obnoxious" apple users. i have a friend that recently got an itouch. before he purchased he called me several times just to ask if my e71 could do this or that. it royally pissed me off. he was comparing a touchscreen w/acc-meter to my e71. that's a no-no. besides anything related to those 2 features, my phone could do everything he asked and for free. there was one particulary useless app that he kept bragging about and i kept pointing out how useless it was but he said i couldn't use it. who gives a ****? and then when he got the itouch, he kept wanting to use this app that turned your phone into a level. considering that we're both in the elevator trade, precision is paramount. if he tried to use that professionally in front of the wrong person, he might have some issues.

the reason alot of s60 users don't show off is because a)been there done that b)been there done that and c)a lot of us don't care. i'm happy for the most part. nobody has made the perfect device yet. the iphone caters to the "me, me, me" crowd. i'm sure the younger people are eating it up. but at the end of the day, i need a workhorse. i don't need flashy apps and ui's, i don't want to shop for useless apps all the time, i don't want to baby my phone more than i do now, i don't want charge everyday/more than once a day, i want to make phone calls in more places with less dropped calls and i don't have to hack my phone to get "more" features. i'm even willing to bet alot of symbian users wouldn't mind if nokia went straight up linux. they could divide one lineup with an s60 style interface and the other linux variation straight up open and full throttle according to open source requirements. but that's just my opinion.

anyways, in this forum, we sometimes compare apples to oranges, i.e. the iphone to my e71, but usually the users stay away from features you can't compare. which is good. i actually like some of the discussion/flamewars. it's good for business and discussion of course. but then again, some of it is taken out context WHERE it shouldn't be, or the iphone users try to pull "in your face" crap. i agree though. the iphone is a wannabe high end phone. with apple stamped on it. they executed their marketing very well. so well, it's drives alot of us up the wall. the only thing i can appreciate about the iphone is it sets the standard high in a couple areas. other than that, to me it's a crappy multimedia device with a phone attached to it. i guess i should correct that statement because it will definitely be taken out of context. it's a decent device for what it is, but there are too many drones/dumbpeople attached to it. thus, relegating it to the bottom of the junk pile for me and many others. i'm still waiting for an android/symbian device with the right features to call my name. i'd much rather have an N series or multimedia phone from nokia, but the e71 better fit my needs for my current uses. i'd crap my pants if they made an e71 successor with slightly larger screen (3 inches), two speakers, accelerometer and 3.5mm jack. i'd be willing to take the bigger form factor if it's not slide too. wishful thinking, but i'm sure alot of peeps share my sentiments and wishes.
    my phone can't do what your phone can don't.
    how can you start if you forget to begin?

Device(s)
    Palm Pixi
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by illmatic416
    'm not saying all Apple users are d-bags, but there's this aura of pretentiousness that probably has been generated by their fanboys. Apple products in general are average to above average, most of the value is in the great marketing they have to hype their products.

I don't remember who said it but someone described apple as "A beautiful garden with 30ft walls with armed guards walking around up top."

What gets me is that when Apple has something to announce, its like the world has to stop for Mr.Jobs so he can speak, like he is god or whoever. I just still to this day don't get what all the hype is about.
    "Más fuath leat mise, loitfidh mé thú. Más maith leat mise, loitfidh mé ar do shon" - Mac Séamais

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NxJ
    I don't remember who said it but someone described apple as "A beautiful garden with 30ft walls with armed guards walking around up top."

What gets me is that when Apple has something to announce, its like the world has to stop for Mr.Jobs so he can speak, like he is god or whoever. I just still to this day don't get what all the hype is about.

I think this sounds pretty close

Device(s)
    Palm Pixi
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodakawa
    I think this sounds pretty close

Lol yeah thats it. Well i was close at least...

Device(s)
    Nokia 808 PureView
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pukemon
    would you please 'splain to us what writeable data paging is? i rarely have problems mulittasking as is, so how would that make for a faster more complete experience? a faster more complete experience for me would be a more organized and efficient UI. definitely more organized. the UI is definitely old and dusty, but most s60 users are familiar with it and 90% of the time you set it and you're done. most setting changes for me are changing to gms only to conserve battery or forced to because i'm out of 3g coverage area.

I don't have any idea what it means I am just happy about the fact that they have set improving multitasking as a priority. S60 can already multitask with ease so any improvement on that would be amazing

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think Apple and AT&T have cozied up so much I think the "A" in AT&T stands for "Apple". I remember how "visual voicemail" was added to the system to support the iPhone and I realized that probably no other device maker could have that much clout. And the iPhone was so AT&T centric that it seemed to go against the very benefits of being GSM. Why don't they unlock them so when you travel abroad you can just "sim swap" like every other device. Why can't you just buy them unlocked from Apple?

I have no hate for the iPhone. I know people who have it and love it and I am happy for them. My needs and use cases are much different than most of my peers so I am just glad that s60 meets them for now.

Device(s)
    Moto Milestone (Telus), Nokia N82
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uxi
    lol, You know I have an iPhone 3G, too, right? Apple could get the same zoom responsiveness from using the rocker. The fundamental issue is if you want to be able to do this one-handed or not, and if you prefer physical keys or using a touchscreen.

When browsing with my N97, I don't need to adjust my grip, especially one handed. I can flick scroll with my thumb in portrait and I can use the Dpad in landscape all one-handed. Maybe you have tiny hands?

Thank you for the permission, captain obvious. I don't bother using pinch zoom on my iphone, except in maps, where it's required. Ovi Maps totally ***** all over the Google Maps on my iPhone (and the symbian app), with it's zooming, btw. Hell, Ovi Maps zooming gives my in-dash a run for it's money.

Drool worthy is the metric for a good mechanism? Let all the boy band followers know that and we'll have real issues.

Only a complete toolbag would have an issue with the N97's spacebar. The phone has a few issues, but it's sparebar placement is not one of them. Doesn't sound like you've handled one in 2 or 3 firmwares, in any case.
    Ovi Maps **** over Google Maps, except Ovi Maps was designed for turn by turn navigation. Navigon and Tom Tom can compete just as well with Ovi Maps. And that's really targetted against Garmin Mobile XT and other similar products. Furthermore, the Google Maps on the iPhone with its digital compass is a killer. Everyone knows this. Even Android users are jealous.

And honestly, turn by turn is great, but so is the convenience of Google MAps. I have Garmin Mobile XT, and a killer Garmin device. It does lane change assist, BT, FM traffic, 3D buildings etc etc. I just got it a few months ago. Quite honestly even when I was on my N82, it's a lot easier to google map, pull up the address, look at the map a bit to figure out the neighborhood, and then key into a GPS. Ovi doesn't even compare.

And now, Google Maps on Android **** over your entire N97. It also puts the nail in the coffin for Ovi. You wanna play One Up? It's not too hard to ONE UP the N97.

Like I said, your love for Symbian and fanboiism has clouded your judgement. I tossed my iPod. I tossed my 3GS. I'm not saying they're bad. They're just not for me. I've gone through a AT&T Fuze (Touch Pro), and I'm on the Milestone now. If you think the space bar of the N97 is fine, then you're simply sacrificing. The fact is, there's 20x other hardware keyboards that DEMOLISH the N97's. And 3 row? Come on. The point is you are settling. That's fine. You can settle and be OK with the N97, but realize there's better out there. But to call someone a tool for having a problem with something that Nokia itself admits sucks balls, then you're just delusional.

Like I said, drool worthy is no measure for a good device. You're the one who's putting words in people's mouths. Strawman argument when you can't really argue?

I'm not saying you can't volume rock + zoom at the same time with one hand. You can. It's not the most comfortable. You do it with your left hand I assume? When your thumb crosses over to touch the main screen, your index finger isn't primed to zoom. So you usually do one or the other anyway. Not simultaneously. Sure the transition doesn't take long, but so what? The fact is that pinch zoom is the in. It's convenient, and millions of people appreciate it. It has a purpose. If you don't like the new Windows 7, don't tell people to install XP. If you don't like the new pinch zoom, don't tell people to fall back on hardware volume rocker.... Especially when touchscreen devices can be used with 99.9% of your interaction on screen now, you don't really need a SIDE button just to zoom. But that's my preference. For you to dismiss pinch zoom is just utterly naive.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When trialing the N97 mini it took 5 days to get used to the keyboard. Anyone can adapt and type at a reasonable rate. It's not settling, it's adjusting, just like you do with any new keyboard on any new device. Once your brain makes the adjustment there's no issue other than the poor tactile feedback but the tactile feedback was better than DROID/Milestone. The spacebar placement is a non-issue.

Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonesh
    When trialing the N97 mini it took 5 days to get used to the keyboard. Anyone can adapt and type at a reasonable rate. It's not settling, it's adjusting, just like you do with any new keyboard on any new device. Once your brain makes the adjustment there's no issue other than the poor tactile feedback but the tactile feedback was better than DROID/Milestone. The spacebar placement is a non-issue.
    I completely agree, i mean if you are right handed its actual perfect place for spacebar. Like i have said 100 times over these are just user opinions and thats about it.
    Know The Truth and the Truth will set u free.
    John 8:32

Winner of the 3rd Annual Hofies Awards in the catergories of

"Friendliest s60 Hofo'er"-Gold Medal
    "Most helpful S60 Hofo'er" - Silver Medal
    "Most Interesting S60 Blog From a Member"-Silver Medal

FreeBlaxx!!

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I personally left Nokia due to its lack of software support in North America. THe problem is programmers will go where they can make the most money, and when you see the market shares of android, apple and rim, its easy to see where all the apps are.

You guys may think that alot of these widgets and programs are useless, but the truth is there are many quality programs that can provide alot of value for customers.

Device(s)
    x6, nokia e71, nexus one
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng
    I personally left Nokia due to its lack of software support in North America. THe problem is programmers will go where they can make the most money, and when you see the market shares of android, apple and rim, its easy to see where all the apps are.

You guys may think that alot of these widgets and programs are useless, but the truth is there are many quality programs that can provide alot of value for customers.
    lack of software support support? hardly. there's money to made with the instant gratification junkies.

Device(s)
    Palm Pre with Mugen 2800mAh battery
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I think all those f*cking apps are retarded too. You can't call a bookmark an app! It is just a quick script that opens your web browser to a certain page. So stupid, and a waste of memory. And by the time you have 16 gagillion freakin apps on the damn phone, it takes longer to scroll thru them all to find the damn app you are looking for to bring you to google!

And yeah, these apps are making people lazy as sh*t and probably causing some job losses. When telemarketers call me, if I hear a pause of silence before the person talks I will outright say, "Why did the machine call me? Your company cannot afford to pay you to actually dial my number? Are they that cheap? I dont want their business then!" and I hang up!

But at least no app can take over my job! I am a plumber, no matter how many computer apps are taking reservations or whatever, no computer can pipe in a toilet, or hook up a 20 ton A/C unit. People will always have to sh*t, eat, have heat, medical gas piping and equipment, etc...

But screwing the economy with apps and this and that still affects every job out there. The person behind the desk can't afford to fix their leaky faucet/toilet or get their A/C unit fixed... Causes trades a decrease in jobs as well. And eventually it all makes a big cycle, and a recession is triggered
    When the going gets tough, **** it!

Device(s)
    Palm Pre with Mugen 2800mAh battery
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NxJ

O and don't forget how terrible their mac commercials are...

"PC sucks... GET A MAC!" Terrible. I will never buy a mac because of that. They don't explain how their product is good, but just put down the other guy... Wow, just like a politician. If macs were the last computers on earth, I would use pen and paper, and play board games.

Why don't they tell me about the features of a mac? I have yet to see a mac commercial that shows the OS and shows features. Microsoft always says things about their media centre, the new layout (sort of) of 7... If you can't tell me what's good about your product, but instead say the other guy is crap and to buy yours, it is garbage. Politicians say "Liberals are gay... Vote conservative!" F*CK THAT!

And all politicians do it too. If one party does NOT do that, I vote for them.
    otherwise, I don't vote! :P lol

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    lol yeah they're commercials stink. The parodies on the net are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonesh

Seriously. Every review says the same thing 3-5 days to acclimate to the positioning, at which point it's a more natural position for the thumb. A 4-row with a small spacebar on each end would be better than trying to ape a desktop/laptop keyboard with centered spacebar.

I tried out a Droid when it came out and that keyboard sucks hard with zero tactile response. N97 doesn't have the best (though it did seem to get better once "broken in."

Quote Originally Posted by dmo
    And honestly, turn by turn is great, but so is the convenience of Google MAps. I have Garmin Mobile XT, and a killer Garmin device. It does lane change assist, BT, FM traffic, 3D buildings etc etc.
    It's all mostly academic to me. I use an in-dash for 99% of my car navigation and don't really need it on foot. I can remember where I park, etc just fine.

And now, Google Maps on Android **** over your entire N97. It also puts the nail in the coffin for Ovi. You wanna play One Up? It's not too hard to ONE UP the N97.
    ROFL. Yeah, all the android phones suck at convergence. I had high hopes on Droid but it's a bag of fail in that regard.

Like I said, your love for Symbian and fanboiism has clouded your judgement. I tossed my iPod. I tossed my 3GS. I'm not saying they're bad. They're just not for me. I've gone through a AT&T Fuze (Touch Pro), and I'm on the Milestone now. If you think the space bar of the N97 is fine, then you're simply sacrificing.
    I thought you were serious for a half second before you rag on the N97 keyboard and then say you're using a Milestone. bwahahahahaha.

My last phone wasn't Nokia or Symbian and the next one probably won't be either. I have no dog in this fight. The moment a better convergence device than the N97 comes along, I'll go to it. Hopefully it will have xenon flash and 64-128GB and still take microSD (SDXC!).

The fact is, there's 20x other hardware keyboards that DEMOLISH the N97's. And 3 row? Come on. The point is you are settling. That's fine. You can settle and be OK with the N97, but realize there's better out there.
    lol, oh the ironing is strong with this one.

But to call someone a tool for having a problem with something that Nokia itself admits sucks balls, then you're just delusional.
    Call it like I see it.

Like I said, drool worthy is no measure for a good device. You're the one who's putting words in people's mouths. Strawman argument when you can't really argue?
    You're the one who brought up drool-worthy, not me. lmk when you learn how to follow a conversation. kthxbye.

I'm not saying you can't volume rock + zoom at the same time with one hand. You can. It's not the most comfortable. You do it with your left hand I assume? When your thumb crosses over to touch the main screen, your index finger isn't primed to zoom. So you usually do one or the other anyway. Not simultaneously. Sure the transition doesn't take long, but so what? The fact is that pinch zoom is the in. It's convenient, and millions of people appreciate it. It has a purpose. If you don't like the new Windows 7, don't tell people to install XP. If you don't like the new pinch zoom, don't tell people to fall back on hardware volume rocker.... Especially when touchscreen devices can be used with 99.9% of your interaction on screen now, you don't really need a SIDE button just to zoom. But that's my preference. For you to dismiss pinch zoom is just utterly naive.
    Win 7 is better than XP, Custer needs to realize that's an arrow in his head, and there are better methods than pinch zoom. Your argument is laughably void of logic and you keep falling into a popularity fallacy. Just because "millions of people appreciate it" doesn't argue it's merits, merely it's popularity, which as we should all know is a fickle thing. The "in thing" lol well... if that's important to you, you're probably one of the latte sipping toolbags I already mock anyway.
    ---
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

Quote Originally Posted by sjhong
    The 3.5 inch touch screen, the 32Gb internal memory and the qwerty keyboard are features I can no longer live without.

Device(s)
    Nokia N86
    Carrier(s)
    Orange-UK
    Feedback Score
    anyone figure out how to copy & paste properly and everywhere on Nokia phones? no? I thought not.

I have to admit the apps are pretty good. I have an iPod touch, the times it is connected to Wifi its nice to get pop-up reminders when my eBay watched item is ending, facebook messages pop-up. train timetable app is convenient.

Sure I can set a calendar reminder, the Facebook thing is not such a big one since I get email to my phone anyway. Generally yeh a lot of things can be done through the browser, but it is nice. Im just not willing to pay through the roof for the luxury of an iPhone so ill stick with my Nokia.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast