Page 60 of 83 FirstFirst ... 10 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Michigan?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    LTE at the Harbor Beach site is now live. It launched with a single 2x5 850 carrier.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Enet has been successfully activated on the Rogers City, MI water tank site! Good riddance to those Frontier T1's!!
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    Enet has been successfully activated on the Rogers City, MI water tank site! Good riddance to those Frontier T1's!!
    Nice!

TWX, it has been a while since I have been up to the RC/Alpena area and was wondering if AT&T has deployed UMTS on B2 anywhere up there? I have never seen UMTS on 1900 anywhere east of Gaylord and was wondering if you have spotted it on any of the sites up there? I know on the sites down here, there is a noticeable difference with the higher order modulation when close to a site. Speeds are usually double when on B2 compared to B5.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Nice!

TWX, it has been a while since I have been up to the RC/Alpena area and was wondering if AT&T has deployed UMTS on B2 anywhere up there? I have never seen UMTS on 1900 anywhere east of Gaylord and was wondering if you have spotted it on any of the sites up there? I know on the sites down here, there is a noticeable difference with the higher order modulation when close to a site. Speeds are usually double when on B2 compared to B5.
    The five sites in and around Alpena have B2, but that is all there is east of I-69 until you get to Mackinaw City.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    The five sites in and around Alpena have B2, but that is all there is east of I-69 until you get to Mackinaw City.
    Really? I have never seen B2 UMTS in Alpena, although it has been several months since I have been up there and checked. I figured all the sites that cover the larger towns along US 23 like Cheboygan, RC, Tawas, and Oscoda would have it deployed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Really? I have never seen B2 UMTS in Alpena, although it has been several months since I have been up there and checked. I figured all the sites that cover the larger towns along US 23 like Cheboygan, RC, Tawas, and Oscoda would have it deployed.
    All of those sites got LTE, so no second carrier on UMTS. Growth is on LTE only.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 10+10GB, Sprint Free for a year
    Feedback Score
    Have they deployed B4 around Charlevoix, MI? It was annoying when they had B5 only, and the original AT&T LTE phones up through the SGS 3 couldn't pick up LTE, as they are only B4/17, and they had not deployed their B4 spectrum yet. The single 5x5 deployment on B5 get pretty slammed pretty easily too.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Have they deployed B4 around Charlevoix, MI? It was annoying when they had B5 only, and the original AT&T LTE phones up through the SGS 3 couldn't pick up LTE, as they are only B4/17, and they had not deployed their B4 spectrum yet. The single 5x5 deployment on B5 get pretty slammed pretty easily too.
    I would say yes. I was up north of Petoskey earlier this year and picked up this configuration: Attachment 143182

On a side note, AT&T now has 10x10 B12 spectrum acquired from Agri-Valley that it can start deploying at anytime in northwest MI.
    Last edited by 10mm; 07-22-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I would say yes. I was up north of Petoskey earlier this year and picked up this configuration: Attachment 143182

On a side note, AT&T now has 10x10 B12 spectrum acquired from Agri-Valley that it can start deploying at anytime in northwest MI.
    Nice. I didn't realize that they were doing B12 at all. That wouldn't help the SGS3 though, since it's B17/B4. B5 is fine for the newer phones, and it should be a lot less congested with B4, and maybe eventually B2 LTE running as well.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Nice. I didn't realize that they were doing B12 at all. That wouldn't help the SGS3 though, since it's B17/B4. B5 is fine for the newer phones, and it should be a lot less congested with B4, and maybe eventually B2 LTE running as well.

Technically, B17 is a subset of B12 so the older phones will still display B17 and newer phones or devices running Marshmallow will display B12. They are running MFBI (Multi-Frequency Band Indicator) technology on all their Macro sites which will allow devices to display either B12 or 17, depending on the device of course. Basically, either band is running on the same spectrum(except in areas where they still only have 5 MHz). If you put an AT&T SIM in a VZ branded iPhone 6S for example, it will display B12. Not sure if your GS3 will aggregate B4+5 or not.

My brother in law confirmed seeing B2 LTE in Service Mode on a site around Traverse City. That's the only area in northern Michigan I have heard where they have deployed LTE on PCS. Hope to see more

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Technically, B17 is a subset of B12 so the older phones will still display B17 and newer phones or devices running Marshmallow will display B12. They are running MFBI (Multi-Frequency Band Indicator) technology on all their Macro sites which will allow devices to display either B12 or 17, depending on the device of course. Basically, either band is running on the same spectrum(except in areas where they still only have 5 MHz). If you put an AT&T SIM in a VZ branded iPhone 6S for example, it will display B12. Not sure if your GS3 will aggregate B4+5 or not.

My brother in law confirmed seeing B2 LTE in Service Mode on a site around Traverse City. That's the only area in northern Michigan I have heard where they have deployed LTE on PCS. Hope to see more
    But if it's Lower A don't the older phones lack the hardware to access it at all? They have B17, but not B12, the only difference being the Lower A block. The GS3 doesn't have CA or B5 LTE at all. It has B4/17 LTE and B2/5 HSPA+, but no LTE on B2/5. My SGS 7 will do CA, and has every band AT&T currently has in use including B29 and B30 (I found that in Times Square, time to use B5 for more rural areas).

They own a TON of PCS up there, so I hope that start becoming an important part of their LTE network. Considering that few devices use HSPA+ anymore, I would think that a majority of the PCS spectrum could be re-farmed to add capacity and a band to "park" devices on and leave B5 for fringe reception.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    But if it's Lower A don't the older phones lack the hardware to access it at all? They have B17, but not B12, the only difference being the Lower A block. The GS3 doesn't have CA or B5 LTE at all. It has B4/17 LTE and B2/5 HSPA+, but no LTE on B2/5. My SGS 7 will do CA, and has every band AT&T currently has in use including B29 and B30 (I found that in Times Square, time to use B5 for more rural areas).

They own a TON of PCS up there, so I hope that start becoming an important part of their LTE network. Considering that few devices use HSPA+ anymore, I would think that a majority of the PCS spectrum could be re-farmed to add capacity and a band to "park" devices on and leave B5 for fringe reception.
    The 700 spectrum in Northwest lower Michigan that AT&T acquired from Agri-Valley is actually 700 b and c which would be supported on older devices, and identified as B17. New devices as well as older ones that received the Marshmallow update will identify it as B12. Same frequencies.

AT&T is definitely PCS rich in Michigan. They may be deploying B4 in the northern areas instead of B2 due to spectrum requirements.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The 700 spectrum in Northwest lower Michigan that AT&T acquired from Agri-Valley is actually 700 b and c which would be supported on older devices, and identified as B17. New devices as well as older ones that received the Marshmallow update will identify it as B12. Same frequencies.

AT&T is definitely PCS rich in Michigan. They may be deploying B4 in the northern areas instead of B2 due to spectrum requirements.
    Oh nice, it's B17! I thought you were referring to the Lower A by saying B12, but I know technically B12 is a superset of B17.

B4 is a total freebie, as they never used B4 for HSPA+ like T-Mobile did, so it's a greenfield deployment. That's why I can't figure out why it wasn't done on day 1 when they carved out some B5 for low-band LTE where they didn't at the time have B17. B2 is a re-farm, although at this point, the vast majority of their data usage is on LTE, so I would think that they could afford to re-farm some spectrum. They're must more spectrum rich up there than in other areas, but at this point, why not?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB, iPad Pro 12.9"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 20GB RNA, w/ $20 unlimited connected Car / ZTE Mobley
    Feedback Score
    I was just all over "up north" Michigan a few weeks ago and I was pretty impressed with the coverage.
    • Wilderness State Park (west of Mackinaw) had great coverage and great speeds pretty much whereever I was.
    • Drummond Island, Michigan - Great coverage (AT&T seems to be the best there) with pretty good speed and when I didn't have coverage I generally (often?) could pick up the Canadian towers (it's really close to Canada if you look at the maps) and that's on my Mobile Share plan for free (call Retention if you don't have it).
    • Grayling - Incredibly spotty once you leave town. Hartwick State Park was awful (0 coverage) in most spots. On the floor of my tent I had "no service", put it on top of my tent (5 feet high?) and I had 1-2 bars with semi-okay speed, I had delays when I was tethering but beatable. I "found" coverage there by leaving my phone volume on and when it beeped from texts/etc. I knew I had coverage.
    • Pictured Rocks - okay coverage, speeds could have been faster.
    • Middle of the UP (eastern half between Pictured Rocks and Drummond) - Lots and lots of dead spots. My complaint is when I had a few bars and it said I had data I couldn't do anything (data wise), this happened often in this are and around Pictured Rocks.

That said, I'm sure I hit a lot of dead spots and didn't even notice.

The maps app on my iPhone struggled when making a detour and there wasn't service (but it recovered nicely once I got back onto it's route).
    Last edited by GaryLaPointe; 07-24-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Device(s)
    SGS 7, Moto G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wait... how does one get free Canadian data roaming?!?

Page 60 of 83 FirstFirst ... 10 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast