Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ... 15 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Michigan?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Does anyone know the status of AT&T's Extended Range GSM sites in the Upper Peninsula? I'm wondering if these will be shut down as part of the general 2G shutdown or if they will continue to operate?
    I'm pretty sure these will be shut down with the general 2G shutdown. AT&T most likely already has WCDMA going on those sites and is ready to eliminate the old tech. Maybe BMW can chime in.
    Last edited by TWX; 12-12-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    Your results may vary. Network performance differs per user location.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    All 2G sites are being shut down in early January, to include everything in the UP. However, there are no more 2G-only sites in the UP. All of them have UMTS/HSPA+ at a minimum, if not LTE, so losing 2G should have only a minimal impact, perhaps none at all.
    I do not represent any company or other entity. Anything I post in these forums or write on this site are my thoughts and opinions only. I make every attempt to be 100% accurate, but I am human and do make mistakes from time to time.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
    All 2G sites are being shut down in early January, to include everything in the UP. However, there are no more 2G-only sites in the UP. All of them have UMTS/HSPA+ at a minimum, if not LTE, so losing 2G should have only a minimal impact, perhaps none at all.
    With this being said, wasn't this "extended range" GSM pretty much dead since the Analog shutdown? I don't see how current devices could communicate with the cells towers at 35-120 Kilometers.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max (Intel), iPhone 6S, Galaxy S9, iPad 9.7, iPad Mini 3, Netgear Nighthawk Hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    With this being said, wasn't this "extended range" GSM pretty much dead since the Analog shutdown? I don't see how current devices could communicate with the cells towers at 35-120 Kilometers.
    I honestly am unsure if the extended range feature is active on any sites anymore. I really doubt it. It didn't work all that well when it was active because you still had to deal with poor RF conditions at those distances. The only thing the extended range features did was allow for more Timing Advance to be utilized, it didn't help RF at all.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I honestly am unsure if the extended range feature is active on any sites anymore. I really doubt it. It didn't work all that well when it was active because you still had to deal with poor RF conditions at those distances. The only thing the extended range features did was allow for more Timing Advance to be utilized, it didn't help RF at all.
    Well, it did allow me to phone and text home from Isle Royale (with just a bit of effort). It seemed to be a popular feature because the available channels were frequently all busy.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB, iPad Pro 12.9"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 20GB RNA, w/ $20 unlimited connected Car / ZTE Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Except for the people who didn't exchange their phones yet....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryLaPointe View Post
    Except for the people who didn't exchange their phones yet....
    True, but they have been told for months it was happening (targeted texts and mailings), so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when it does.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB, iPad Pro 12.9"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 20GB RNA, w/ $20 unlimited connected Car / ZTE Mobley
    Feedback Score
    True, but they have been told for months it was happening (targeted texts and mailings), so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when it does.
    I'll check back later to see how that worked out

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryLaPointe View Post
    I'll check back later to see how that worked out
    Based on the current traffic on the GSM network, I doubt anyone is even going to notice when it is shut off.

Realistically, it will impact a very, very small number of devices and customers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, FirstNet
    Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention it earlier, but the last GSM-only site left in the state received UMTS last week. The site is located on the south side of Higgins Lake.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention it earlier, but the last GSM-only site left in the state received UMTS last week. The site is located on the south side of Higgins Lake.
    Nice, finally!
    Hopefully nationwide, there's not more than a handful left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Wow nice. GSM was excellent in it's time but won't be missed by many when it's gone. Personally, I would like to see AT&T start building LTE/VoLTE only sites in the areas where there are coverage gaps. No need to add a layer of UMTS imho. I actually have had my phone locked on LTE only with no data or voice issues in my travels. Seems to be saving on the battery a bit.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Nice, finally!
    Hopefully nationwide, there's not more than a handful left.

Not according to some forum members. Half the network is GSM

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    😄

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    The site covering Caseville is now running 2 LTE carriers.15 MHz B2 and 5x5 B5. The site to the east at State Park and Conkey roads is now running LTE.

Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ... 15 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast