Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Overclocking the N900

Device(s)
    Lumia 800, Iphone 4
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks
    You'll be missing all the official PR1.2 patches. The community kernels are A LOT better, I highly recommend you switch to one.
    Well example the power kernel with different configurations i have tried seem to get my device to reboot time after time.
    Compared to kernel made by Lehto where i ran 1ghz for 3 months with no problem at all.

Feedback Score
    Suit yourself. Lehto's kernel has a hardcoded increased clock speed. That's all. You don't get temperature readings, you don't get DSP access, nor do you get to adjust voltage.

The reason your device is rebooting, is because the tables have lowered voltage, and it's starving your processor at certain times. You need to increase the values at specific clock speeds.

But what do I know, go ahead and use whichever kernel you'd prefer.
    Winner of 3rd Annual HoFies Award.
    Gold Medal for 'Most helpful S60 Hofo'er'
    Bronze Medal for 'Funniest S60 Hofo'er'

Device(s)
    Lumia 800, Iphone 4
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks
    Suit yourself. Lehto's kernel has a hardcoded increased clock speed. That's all. You don't get temperature readings, you don't get DSP access, nor do you get to adjust voltage.

The reason your device is rebooting, is because the tables have lowered voltage, and it's starving your processor at certain times. You need to increase the values at specific clock speeds.

But what do I know, go ahead and use whichever kernel you'd prefer.
    Damn with you people.
    I'll give the power kernel another try.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Question

Quote Originally Posted by YoDude
    No bother... You don't need to use USB and can do it right on the phone once the files are downloaded. Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

For future reference I pulled together what has been working for me.
    This is in no way an encoragement... just a dang reference.

The included fiasco image has been modified from the ones available so that it does not change the information found in the "about" page.

* Max 800MHz (Anything more than this will create overheating concerns.)

* Steps down to 125MHz at idle (Does wonders for the battery life.)

* Includes instructions to flash from the phone. (No cable or additional software required)

* Includes instructions to return to a "normal" state. (again, right from the phone its own dang self.)

* Does not include any other changes. (This is important as it seems everyone is a building a custom kernel these days. As momma always said; "Custom kernels is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get.")
    Will this work with 1.2? Will it revert the About page?

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ts View Post
    Will this work with 1.2? Will it revert the About page?
    Yes, it does work fine. And it will change the about page.
    Last edited by FORDOC; 05-29-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added about page

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FORDOC View Post
    Yes, it does work fine. And it will change the about page.
    I will not use that method - what is the best way to overclock with 1.2? What is the safest clock speed that most people are running 250/850?

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-1
    Carrier(s)
    At&T
    Feedback Score

Link

Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks View Post
    Basically, when you request a task to be completed, if there is a specific amount of load, you will cycle up if necessary until the task is completed. So when you open an application, the processor will step through each frequency, check the load and continue until there is an acceptable load based on the frequency (as I understand it, but I'm no silicon engineer).

You need to adjust your upscaling and load "niceness" values. This will affect your battery life, if there's a 10% load, you don't need to jump between frequencies, but if there is a 90% load, you can jump to a higher clock speed to complete the task, and then cycle back down to a lower one when completed.

If you want to start playing with the governing daemons and setting these values on-the-fly, start with the community kernels at TMO and step you way up to compiling your own.

Which section of TMO covers kernels?

Device(s)
    Nokia E72-2 White
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ts View Post
    I will not use that method - what is the best way to overclock with 1.2? What is the safest clock speed that most people are running 250/850?
    May I ask why you would not use this method?

Also, changing the kernel voids the warranty but what if you install back the stock kernel.. will they know that anything happened?

Okay, well I overclocked with YoDudes method. & wow its amazingly fast.
    Last edited by pNoyr3D; 05-29-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    Current
    Nokia E72-2 White

Memories (Newest - Oldest)
    Nokia N900 (returned) / Nokia E72-2 Black (retired) / T-Mobile G1 (dead) / Nokia E71-2 (traded) / BB Curve 8310 Crimson (traded) / Nokia N82 (traded) / iPhone 2G 4GB (sold) / BB Curve 8310 Crimson (sold) / Sidekick LX Blue (stolen) Brown (traded) / T-Mobile Wing (traded) / Nokia 6680 (retired) / Nokia 7260 (retired) / Nokia 7610 (retired) / Motorola v66i (retired)

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JAbad28
    Tumblr: http://goldeni.tumblr.com

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pNoyr3D View Post
    May I ask why you would not use this method?

Also, changing the kernel voids the warranty but what if you install back the stock kernel.. will they know that anything happened?

Okay, well I overclocked with YoDudes method. & wow its amazingly fast.
    I believe with PR1.2 there are more options, some might be better. Right now I am running 250MHz-900MHz, battery life is better than before and it is quicker.

Feedback Score
    PR1.2 doesn't bring more options. I already explained it in my post. The kernels you guys are using have hard patched limits and as the clock frequency increases, it requires higher voltage and pulls it. The community kernels are completely adjustable on-the-fly. If you legitimately do not understand why this is beneficial or what is being talked about - you should not be overclocking your device.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5