Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finishing the Big Red Plunge

Carrier(s)
    Alltel, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Yep I am keeping my alltel plan and getting the Incredible too. Assuming of course they don't try to force the "data" charge add on that was on the online preorder. The smartchoice should cover the data for the droid as well. Can't wait till it comes in the mail. Just not wanting to deal with a screw up in there online order system with my plan.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strunke
    Yep I am keeping my alltel plan and getting the Incredible too. Assuming of course they don't try to force the "data" charge add on that was on the online preorder. The smartchoice should cover the data for the droid as well. Can't wait till it comes in the mail. Just not wanting to deal with a screw up in there online order system with my plan.
    You should be fine if the price of the plan at checkout was the same.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by budone
    With Alltel we could tether using our Voice minutes, which in effect allowed us to tether after 7pm without using minutes.

I rarely used it unless the hotels wifi stunk.

Getting a new Verizon phone eliminates MOU (Minutes of Use) for tethering.

The Verizon TOS states if tethering without paying for it ($30/month) with a limit of 5GB, one is breaking the rules that are in place.

That is the biggest change when getting a Verizon phone.
    OK... let me see if I'm right then:

Assuming that I don't hit the 5GB cap (which I won't), tethering would be a TOS violation, but not an impossibility? Technically tethering was also a violation of the Alltel TOS, if I remember right.

Like I said, I hardly ever use it, and on the rare occasion that I do it's for a couple of hours just for email and light web browsing (like this forum for example). I don't do YouTube or other bandwidth heavy things.
    Last edited by answerman; 04-22-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: clarification
    The Answerman - owner of the HTC Droid Incredible!!! And yes, we have achieved ROOT and NAND unlock!!!

For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    You are right. With Alltel supposedly we were violating the TOS, though nothing has ever been said.

But with Verizon measuring MB's it IS a violation. and if you want to tether it is $30/month for 5GB. We are not given 5GB to use before the violation.

Device(s)
    S. Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless/Alltel Plan
    Feedback Score
    For those of you on SmartChooice you should be allowed to keep your existing plan, order a Verizon Smartphone and not have to pay yet another $30 more for the data. I am not sure how it will look in billing since the Verizon data feature needs to be provisioned on the phone some how, but your bill should not change. If the rep you talk to will not do this for you, ask for someone that will.

Promotions for early upgrades for Alltel customers have been out there for awhile but not made publically to the customer until recently. I have had CS trying to get me to upgrade out of my Hint that was not supposed to be upgradable till Dec. since March.

Tethering with an Android is possible through some apps that pass data on to your computer making it seem to Verizon like the phone is using data. With Verzion data packs you can not tether like you can with Alltel data packs going through modem mod. However using a tethering app on the Incredible is by no means discouraged by Verizon customer service, they have told me they won't provide support to help me get it working but there wasn't really a problem with it.

My Alltel Hint still tethers fine on the occasion I need it, through the VZ access application of all things. I only ever tether 50-200 mb a month at EVDO.0 speeds and nothing has ever been charged or mentioned since I have Connect Pack 1. Right now since I am the only data user and not on a SmartChooice plan, the extra $20 a month is still a little much. I plan on holding out on getting out an Android as long as possible. The combination of my Hint and an iTouch is doing just fine since I am in WIFI coverage 90% of the time, and when I am a passenger in a car I can tether.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    OK, now I feel like I'm really admitting that I've been assimilated. However, after 5 hours of playing with my new phone, I have to say this:

The HTC Incredible is freakin' incredible. Seriously. Nothing like it. Sorry to put this admittedly OT post here, but I still like you Alltel guys better than the Verizon family I got "shotgun married" into.

Oh, and I still have my SmartChoice 500 plan, after all the fretting about that. No extra VZW charges. Life is good.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Answerman, mine comes today.

You mentioned in your 2nd post texting changes. I thought it would be what we had prior. Just that how data is measured is different.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Answerman, mine comes today.

You mentioned in your 2nd post texting changes. I thought it would be what we had prior. Just that how data is measured is different.
    According to the packing slip, and my online VZW account, nothing's changed. I guess we'll see on the next bill, but for now it's just the SmartChoice 500 with the second phone/data device. $89.99 +$20 (second phone) +$20 (second data device) = $129.99.

Carrier(s)
    Alltel, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; ADR6300 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

So what do you think of the battery life? I bought a 1500mah touch pro 2 battery to see if I could squeeze some juice out of the slim profile. Regular battery is just 1300 so....thought about seido 1750 mah but read at batteryboss.org that its actually is just slightly less then the tp2 Oem 1500.......

Carrier(s)
    Alltel, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; ADR6300 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Oops accidental double post...
    Last edited by strunke; 05-01-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strunke

So what do you think of the battery life? I bought a 1500mah touch pro 2 battery to see if I could squeeze some juice out of the slim profile. Regular battery is just 1300 so....thought about seido 1750 mah but read at batteryboss.org that its actually is just slightly less then the tp2 Oem 1500.......
    I personally have not seen an issue, unless I am doing alot on the phone. And even then, it has not been bad.

Carrier(s)
    Alltel, VZW
    Feedback Score
    I personally have not seen an issue, unless I am doing alot on the phone. And even then, it has not been bad.
    Yeah I'm a little bit of a heavy user. Pandora/iheartradio, email, web, etc. Even using the FM radio here and there and I leave the GPS on. I've also been playing and exploring with it however. Don't use the wifi or BT often though...

Device(s)
    Droid 1Ghz 2.1 BBv1.0
    Carrier(s)
    VZW-Agent
    Feedback Score
    The contract is not ending, they are just pushing up the upgrade date. Ive seen a few people come in and try to cancel there service only to find out the ETF is still there but their upgrade date is now open.

Device(s)
    Droid 1Ghz 2.1 BBv1.0
    Carrier(s)
    VZW-Agent
    Feedback Score
    btw have you figured out how to TV out?

Carrier(s)
    Alltel, VZW
    Feedback Score
    No not yet, requires a special cord....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast