Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alltel to AT&T happens this week?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256gig (me), iPhone 7 32gig (wife)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cclay25
    This is my 4th merger/acquisition and 3rd network technology change. Things have improved each time.
    Computer (and phone) power has continued to improve, and costs have continued to fall. Some technologies have fallen by the wayside, though; what happened to TDMA and GAIT? (I don't expect an answer ... that borders on flame bait, but isn't, no more so than discussing a CP/M computer would be.)

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markie11

AT&T is also not nearly as bad as their reputation would suggest.
    At the time of my posting this there is 4 threads close to the top on the first page of the ATT forum. They are all complaints of dropped calls, slow data speeds, can't send sms etc.. And I didn't even go beyond the first page.

ATT is getting better but they definitely have issue's with their network, I have a lot of friends and family in KY and AL (which are typically ATT areas) that are on ATT. Guess what, they just about all complain about the lack of 3G coverage, poor voice quality and dropped calls. A good share of them in the last year have switched to VZW and they are very happy with it and say the difference is phenomenal.

Now I am not blaming the GSM technology I just think that ATT has been lazy or don't care enough about fixing their problems. The countries overseas have great networks but I have read that they deployed much better.
    I am not a CDMA fanboy and I am going to give ATT a try when they switch over in MT, but I am not liking the reports lately of them locking down Android phones and blocking different services from accessing 3G. My VZW android phones are fully functional with very little carrier bloatware on them so we shall see

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markie11
    WhyNot, don't believe the "reduced coverage" that's being spread by Qualcomm CDMA fanboys. There's so much more to coverage than network technology. AT&T has also committed to using UMTS, not GSM. UMTS has as good of or better range as Qualcomm CDMA. Telstra in Australia replaced their rural CDMA network with a UMTS network and for most people the coverage is improved

AT&T is also not nearly as bad as their reputation would suggest. I've traveled the same parts of Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, and Idaho with my CellularOne phone (which roamed on AT&T) and my Alltel phone (which normally roamed on Verizon) and I can tell you that I cannot think of one place in those states that I've been where Verizon's network is better than AT&T's. Not one. I can think of a few notable spots, though, where AT&T's is better (both are excellent most places) - Stevinson, CA and Turner, OR both have far better AT&T coverage than Verizon. Also parts of I-15 in Northern Cali/Southern Oregon. Most places, both are perfect. Those few, very rural, areas though... AT&T wins. And that's with GSM (Cellular One doesn't allow roaming on UMTS)

In short, don't be afraid of technology. UMTS is a great technology and a huge step up speed and performance wise from the Qualcomm CDMA Alltel customers are used to.
    The technologies are not that much different... Qualcomm also had a key role in UMTS. The problem here is that AT&T is lazy like Adobe is lazy.

They just aren't rolling it out, they'd rather keep their fat profits.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Like I said it depends where you are. I have friends in Stevinson, CA. All through Stevinson there is perfect AT&T 3G coverage. Verizon is spotty and useless in-building. Same at my friends' place in Turner, OR.

At a friend's house in Pasadena, CA, however, neither AT&T or Verizon is any good. Only Sprint and T-Mobile work well. That goes totally against normal "thinking"

Do not worry about your coverage because of issues people in other areas have had with AT&T. Honestly, I am expecting equal or greater to the current Alltel coverage, I'd be absolutely shocked if it was anything less.

Device(s)
    Casio Rock
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Still on SID 1348 Alltel

1348 Alltel Communications, LLC (CMA480-Michigan 9 - Cass) National Assignment US 800

source ifast.org
    Squires
    FCC Radio Operator, KK1G
    NARTE Telecommunications Technician, (NCT)
    Commercial Radiotelephone Operator w/ ship radar (FCC)
    GMDSS Radio Operator / Maintainer (FCC)
    Canadian Radio Operator, VE3UPK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2