Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alltel to AT&T happens this week?

Feedback Score

Alltel to AT&T happens this week?

While traveling in NW Iowa, I called 611 with a problem yesterday, 4/25, and tech support told me that it may be due to the Alltel to AT&T switch. Supposedly, approval was given late last week and the transition begins this week, 4/26. He specifically mentioned ND, SD and WY.

I've searched high and low today trying to find anything current on the divestiture. The only mention is of the ATN change.

Anyone heard anything?

Device(s)
    Pixel 2XL, iPhone X, iPad Pro, Samsung S9, OnePlus3
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know the FCC has to approve it yet. Nothings going to happen till that goes through. Keep your eye on hofo you'll probably see the news here first

Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel converted)
    Feedback Score
    There could be some internal prep work going on, separating those markets from VZW-owned Alltel resources. That can with done without waiting for FCC approval, since it is fact that those markets have to be divested.

Feedback Score
    The FCC has not approved it yet, they've approved ATN which finished their purchase today and has announced... they're keeping the Alltel name under a long-term licensing arrangement.

Device(s)
    ATNI Alltel: HTC, Telular Box, V262
    Carrier(s)
    ATT, Alltel (ATNI), Verizon, Globalstar
    Feedback Score
    Mid May.....

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shango6
    Mid May.....
    I am curious why you are thinking Mid May.

Device(s)
    RAZR2 V8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It'll be mid-May... of 2011

Feedback Score
    Charles, I really think it'll happen soon. The FCC has already set a precedent and dismissed all the racist nonsense of CAPCC/NABOB/Vicki Iseman/Telephone USA/Joseph Stroud/The Whole City Of Chicago.

The remaining issues that seem to be holding this side up slightly vs ATN are the Oglala Sioux Tribe and Sprint, at least from the public record that seems to be it. They can go away fairly quickly. Like, any day now wouldn't shock me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if ATT will start work immediately on switching the network over. It's time MT had some more gsm love

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I live in SW MN where Verizon towers are going to AT&T.
    Let's see here....
    Current Verizon customers will become AT&T customers.
    Current Alltel customers will become Verizon customers.

So everybody rotate one spot

I live in a fringe area where we are as far west in the state that AT&T will sell service. Crappy EDGE service, but I live with it so I can use the newest iPhone. (Was using a 1st get iPhone on T-Mobile before).

My hope is when Verizon towers go to AT&T, that finally all of SW MN will get 3G. Or am I hoping for too much

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Droid: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

ATT just about has to. They can't take customers that are used to 3g speeds and pull them back to obsolete technology and think everything is gonna be cool.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyNotMinot
    While traveling in NW Iowa, I called 611 with a problem yesterday, 4/25, and tech support told me that it may be due to the Alltel to AT&T switch. Supposedly, approval was given late last week and the transition begins this week, 4/26. He specifically mentioned ND, SD and WY.

I've searched high and low today trying to find anything current on the divestiture. The only mention is of the ATN change.

Anyone heard anything?
    The issue wasnt network related. The trust split out internal billing & customer service systems to seperate ATNI markets and AT&T markets. This was required because ATNI took ownership of their markets on 4/26.

If FCC approval is received by between now and a particular date in "mid-may" then the AT&T portion of the transaction will close on that day. If approval is not received by that day then a new day will be set and we get everything ready one more time.

Feedback Score
    cclay,
    Thanks for the info. Makes sense. Living in the heart of VZW territory with the coming move to AT&T, and reduced coverage, makes me nervous.

Good luck with the transition.
    WhyNot

Carrier(s)
    AT&T former Alltel Blue (WWC)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyNotMinot
    cclay,
    Thanks for the info. Makes sense. Living in the heart of VZW territory with the coming move to AT&T, and reduced coverage, makes me nervous.

Good luck with the transition.
    WhyNot
    This is my 4th merger/acquisition and 3rd network technolgy change. Things have improved each time. I am not going to lose any sleep over it and I would encourage you not to either.

Feedback Score
    WhyNot, don't believe the "reduced coverage" that's being spread by Qualcomm CDMA fanboys. There's so much more to coverage than network technology. AT&T has also committed to using UMTS, not GSM. UMTS has as good of or better range as Qualcomm CDMA. Telstra in Australia replaced their rural CDMA network with a UMTS network and for most people the coverage is improved

AT&T is also not nearly as bad as their reputation would suggest. I've traveled the same parts of Utah, Nevada, California, Oregon, and Idaho with my CellularOne phone (which roamed on AT&T) and my Alltel phone (which normally roamed on Verizon) and I can tell you that I cannot think of one place in those states that I've been where Verizon's network is better than AT&T's. Not one. I can think of a few notable spots, though, where AT&T's is better (both are excellent most places) - Stevinson, CA and Turner, OR both have far better AT&T coverage than Verizon. Also parts of I-15 in Northern Cali/Southern Oregon. Most places, both are perfect. Those few, very rural, areas though... AT&T wins. And that's with GSM (Cellular One doesn't allow roaming on UMTS)

In short, don't be afraid of technology. UMTS is a great technology and a huge step up speed and performance wise from the Qualcomm CDMA Alltel customers are used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast