Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Ready to ditch home Internet?

Cellphones have given us the opportunity to ditch our antiquated "landlines". Smartphones are making inroads to how we use the Internet. Have smartphones reached the point where we can give up the home Internet connection and just rely on the smartphone? What do we do on a desktop or a laptop that we can't do on a smartphone? Store millions of pictures and tunes? Keep copies of every email and text ever sent or received? Are the data limits crippling?
    I ditched the landline, no regrets. Wondering how long it will be until I can ditch the home Internet and the desktop and laptop. They are slow to boot up and frustrating to maintain. And they take up too much space. And they are tied to the house. My phone is no longer tied to my house, why should my Internet access be?
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    One simple word; gaming. PCS data isn't fast enough, nor is it constant, to hold an online gaming session. Not to mention, you'd go through the typical 5GB data limit in about a week.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Landline-free for 5 1/2 years and no regrets. But to me, no cell phone, whether smartphone, feature phone or whatever, will ever replace the nice big screen, tabbed browser, ability to multitask, and convenience offered by a computer on a high speed cable internet connection in the comfort of home.
    Quite frankly, all I use my phones (Dare v-pak and i760 wi-fi) for internet-wise, is looking at news and weather and espn mvp.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Personally, I don't care for the latency for cellular data. It's ok in a pinch, but I don't want to rely solely on it. So, for me, I will not ditch home internet...

I have a couple of friends who have iPhones on AT&T and they decided to use the mandated data plan instead of getting Comcast for internet.

I have been landline free for a month now with no regrets, finally!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Landline absolutely. Home internet? No way. Even if I had an iPhone, I still wouldn't rely on it, and that is probably one of the best web browsing phones out there.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I still think the trend will be away from the laptop and desktop. Perhaps this is where the iPad fits in. It's those mechanical components in the computers that have to go to make everything fast and convenient to use anywhere in the house. How long does it take for your computer to boot up from a cold start? How often to you have to sit in front of a blank screen while you restart after installing a security upgrade? It's those damnable mechanical hard drives that take forever to access. Look how music has gone from the turntable to tape to CDs to the iPod. Have a bunch of iPads or clones hanging around the house, conveniently located, wifi enabled, and who needs to sit in one location surrounded by that clunky old desktop, the big old UPS, an external hard drive, mouse, keyboard and tons of wiring? As speeds improve with cellular, one might wonder why they are paying for two connections to the Internet, cell and cable, just as those with cellphones and landlines figured that the outdated landline was unnecessary. I think the adjustment from a 17" monitor 20 inches from your face to a 3.5" screen five inches from your face is not a difficult change.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I haven't had landline or home internet since April 2004 when I left California and got transferred to Virginia. I was in the military and only kept my cellphone and got a data card plan for my laptop.

Even now after leaving the military I still don't have a landline or home internet. I can use my data card plan on my desktop at home and take it with me to use in my laptop on the go.

In my area, WiMAX has been deployed and is offered by Sprint, Clear, Oceanic Cable/Road Runner so you don't have to be stuck using your internet only at home anymore.

Internet on a small screen may be fine for quick searches and stuff, but as you get older and your eyesight start to go bad, you would rather have a larger screen to look at. This is where a netbook or tablet PC/iPad would come in over just a smartphone device.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

laptops/netbooks over wifi are the future imo. 4g changes the rules as we know them now the way EVDO changed them vs 1x
    Im not seeing a lot of new improved desktops on the horizon but portables are getting better every day
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16