Page 1 of 296 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 4439

Thread: LTE Markets/Rollout Official Discussion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    N e w Y o r k
    Posts
    1,074
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon's LTE implementation : 10+10, 15+15, 20+20 ?

    Verizon Wireless has stated that when they deploy their LTE network they will do so with a 10 MHz + 10 MHz (uplink/downlink) implementation. In areas of the nation where they possess more spectrum, will they deploy the technology with more bandwith?

    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/a...hp?a=187&p=230

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    BTA027
    Posts
    16,793
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    0
    Even where they have multiple SMH bands, they can't do 20+20, because the LSMH A-block and B-block holdings are not adjacent to the USMH C-block holdings. They can deploy 2 carriers at 10+10 each (*), but that's not the same as 20+20.

    (*) only in markets where they hold the full 46 MHz, there's very few of those

    PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,438
    Device(s)
    Droid RAZR
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I forgot which band vzw has, I do know that Verizon payed around 6 billion to get that spectrum and only they have it. Its in the fcc website I believe. They currently are testing 4g in 26 markets. Dont have the specific info tho, but it is lte.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by klzemx3
    I forgot which band vzw has, I do know that Verizon payed around 6 billion to get that spectrum and only they have it. Its in the fcc website I believe. They currently are testing 4g in 26 markets. Dont have the specific info tho, but it is lte.
    That's not true, only Sprint doesn't have the 700 band, T Mobile, Cricket and Metro use it now and att in the future. What happened to Boston and Seattle, the test markets, going live last year?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,323
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's the 700mhz C band, it was divided into regional licenses which Verizon bought all of for the lower 48 and Hawaii (but did not in Alaska.)

    As for the test markets, from what I read, last year they had maybe a dozen cell sites in each city, enough so they could determine peak speeds, see how speeds hold up while the aircard is in motion, deep in buildings, etc. etc., and then got multiple cards to see how speeds held up under load. Was it a live network? I think the point is moot since there were no LTE devices on the market -- even the ones Verizon was using were apparently prototypes.

    To have 25-30 markets done by the end of the year, I would assume they'd start by finishing up the markets they already started. If they aren't done now, I would think they would be by the time LTE devices are actually available for purchase.

    Here's hoping they roll it out fast -- I am looking forward to 60mbps peaks, that'll outrun the fastest landline I could purchase (20mbps from Qwest.)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    There's a live LTE in the world that has to be using something. Maybe they want to show WiMax up by doing all the markets at the same time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    600
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubspoon
    There's a live LTE in the world that has to be using something. Maybe they want to show WiMax up by doing all the markets at the same time.
    There's ambition and there's reality. I guarantee you that VZW won't have 25-30 up by year's end. Still, no matter how many markets they manage to get up and running by year's end, assuming they get any up and running at all, the question becomes how well built out those markets will be.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,560
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubspoon
    That's not true, only Sprint doesn't have the 700 band, T Mobile, Cricket and Metro use it now and att in the future. What happened to Boston and Seattle, the test markets, going live last year?
    TMObile, cricket, and metro use it now (700 mhz spectrum)? Seriously, you need to put down the Sprint fan boy/VZW hate all crack pipe. Of course you'll probably come back with something like 'I am a wireless consultant for AIG' which would speak volumes about the quality of your posts and AIG.

    If you have no clue about the answer, then do not post! And yes, Boston and Seattle are current test markets--have been since 4th quarter 2009.

    There is too much minutiae in the OP post to make any real intelligent response until the layout plans are revealed. You can probably do some research and make a 95% educated guess, but I'd wait for the implementation.
    No longer a VZW employee, but still a good information source.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    CanAM:
    With all that money you save monthly with your Sprint plan, you should be able to order Hooked On Phonics - remember, the phone number to order this is 1-800-ABCDEFG.
    _______________________________________________
    Loving my iPad retina display

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,560
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubspoon
    There's a live LTE in the world that has to be using something. Maybe they want to show WiMax up by doing all the markets at the same time.
    Considering the fact that Sprint is the only US carrier going WiMax while the rest of the world goes LTE, I am not entirely sure why you think (in an arrogant manner) that people even care about wimax.

    What you are seeing here is the evolution of another cdma vs gsm argument evolve right before your eyes. LTE vs wimax. Well, wimax is going to lose out. I am quite confident there is not a single verizon executive who lost more than 15 minutes sleep over wimax. Why? Sprint is losing customers, no growth/revenue, they decided they only want your cash by handling day to day network operations to someone else, fill in blank.

    Sprint believes they can take a steaming pile of dog crap, slap a bmw logo on it, and pawn themselves off as the now network. Well, they're not. Enjoy your crap sandwich.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,179
    Feedback Score
    0
    LTE is going to be rolled out a bit differently from EVDO. I know part of their plan is to have all major airports covered by years end. In Indianapolis that will basically only mean the SW side of the city. They also have plans to do Lafayette (Purdue University) in Indiana by years end.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    N e w Y o r k
    Posts
    1,074
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    I know that 700 MHz is the best possible frequency to deploy a wireless 4G network due to its range of signal, however, will Verizon have to position the cell sites in close proximity to one another (e.g. a 1900 MHz network) to ensure capacity?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    3,870
    Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubspoon
    That's not true, only Sprint doesn't have the 700 band, T Mobile, Cricket and Metro use it now and att in the future.
    What you're referring to is 1700 Mhz AWS spectrum, Dub.
    Thrill me...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Butthead007
    TMObile, cricket, and metro use it now (700 mhz spectrum)? Seriously, you need to put down the Sprint fan boy/VZW hate all crack pipe. Of course you'll probably come back with something like 'I am a wireless consultant for AIG' which would speak volumes about the quality of your posts and AIG.

    If you have no clue about the answer, then do not post! And yes, Boston and Seattle are current test markets--have been since 4th quarter 2009.

    There is too much minutiae in the OP post to make any real intelligent response until the layout plans are revealed. You can probably do some research and make a 95% educated guess, but I'd wait for the implementation.
    I had the spectrum wrong, as Evan702 pointed out, but do know the carriers mentioned did buy some of it. Believe what you will but just because Europe is going LTE doesn't make it better or right just like the CDMA vs. GSM argument that, my friend, is arrogance. Your post after this screams arrogance but it still belies the fact that WiMax has a significant lead that's growing and as Network 10 stated, they'll need more towers because of the frequency but at least they'll get great coverage in building, that are close to towers.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    405
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Network 10
    I know that 700 MHz is the best possible frequency to deploy a wireless 4G network due to its range of signal, however, will Verizon have to position the cell sites in close proximity to one another (e.g. a 1900 MHz network) to ensure capacity?
    Even now, not all of Verizon's towers do 3G, only the 1900MHz ones (and the 850MHz ones where theres a large gap in coverage). I imagine they'll do something similar, where they put up enough to have blanket coverage, but not every tower. And of course if they need to add capacity in the future (likely, but not for 5-10 years) they can just update more towers.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Chi
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    EVO LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Network 10
    I know that 700 MHz is the best possible frequency to deploy a wireless 4G network due to its range of signal, however, will Verizon have to position the cell sites in close proximity to one another (e.g. a 1900 MHz network) to ensure capacity?
    They would need more towers and update current to ones for it to be close coverage to what they have now but then again who knows?

Page 1 of 296 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AT&T 3G Rollout - Latest markets launching II
    By CaptShadow in forum AT&T Network Expansion and Upgrades
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 02-12-2016, 12:39 AM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 02:53 PM
  4. Official Even More / Even More + Plans Discussion
    By justin.tyler in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 1213
    Last Post: 11-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks