Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Fully Flash an HTC Droid Eris to Metro PCS (Tutorial v2.0)

Feedback Score

HOW TO: Fully Flash an HTC Droid Eris to Metro PCS (Tutorial v2.0)

From my research on HoFo, I was able to flash my Droid Eris. There are many whom I wish to thank for getting this far. First and foremost is howardforums and all who contribute to making it such an indispensable resource. Among whom, a special thanks goes out to rikrok25 for showing me how to provision data access for apps and aiding in the second revision of the guide and the 3ViL one himself for helping me with edits. Credits also goes out to brandonharrison, whiterabbitorg, token419, gijoey1980, To0, Insaincain, tracfonejunkie, pkopalek form androidforums.com for his post http://androidforums.com/all-things-...root-reqd.html, and all the authors of the wonderful software we use in this endeavor. And a final thank you goes out to HTC and Google for giving us the droids we're looking for.

DISCLAIMER
    The standard disclaimers apply. I am not responsible for any damage done to your phone by the use of this guide. Nor am I responsible for your sanity or the sanity or your dog should you decide to implement the procedures outlined in this guide. Use it at your own risk!

What you need
    • The Phone
    • A Computer Running Windows
    • A USB to micro USB data cable
    • A microSD or microSDHC card
    • Android SDK
    • QPST (I'm running 2.7 build 323 but other version may work just as well)
    • Any Cut by Jeff Hamilton
    • APN Backup & Restore by Ritesh Sahu
    • Autostart (Root) by blank.online.eu
    • u2nl by Christian Reitwießner
    • autostart.sh from whiterabbitorg's site whiterabbit.org
    • A Metro PCS MSL Generator. whiterabbitorg has kindly hosted one I've written on his website: http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/

Prerequisites
    The first prerequisite is to have service on the phone. The Droid Eris is officially supported so get it MetroFlashed and make sure talk and text are working properly (This will also add your phone's MEID to the Metro PCS database). The next requirement is that your phone must be rooted. Go to this link for directions on rooting: http://www.thefuzz4.net/home/Android...urHTCEris.aspx

Special Notes
    If you intend to complete the entire guide, Part III requires a ROM with a kernel that supports IP tables. One ROM that has worked for me is Grdlocks Official 2.1 Rom with root from http://www.thefuzz4.net/home/Android...locksRoms.aspx. Not all ROMs have the same level of IP table support and may cause problems setting up MMS with the APN Backup & Restore method outlined in Part II.

PART I - WEB

We are going to start with getting the web up and running. Most of this section of the guide is adapted from brandonharrison's guide on flashing the HTC Hero for Cricket posted here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1630517.

Provisioning The Phone For Web
    1) Download and install the latest version of the Android SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

2) Connect your phone to your computer and then dial ##3424 [Call Button] on the phone to get into diagnostic mode (A DM Command service screen should appear on the phone). You computer should now detect your phone as HTC Diagnostic Interface COM Port. You can see that mine shows up as COM21. Take note of the COM port number as you will need it in the next step.

3) Run QPST Configuration and look for the COM port that was added for the HTC Diagnostic Interface in step 2. Mine would be COM21 in this example. If you don't see it, use the Add New Port button to add it in.

4) Before we start messing with the phones NV settings. We want to do an NV backup first. In QPST Configuration, From the top menu, select Start Clients > SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD. Next, click on the Backup tab. In Backup, Select the phones port and file name you want to save to. Enter 000000 for the SPC and then click Start to create the backup. Click Exit once the backup completes.

5) In QPST Configuration, From the top menu, select Start Clients > SERVICE PROGRAMMING. Select your phone in the Phone Selection menu (it should be the only selection if no other phone is connected) and hit OK. Next, click Read from phone. Enter 000000 for the SPC when asked for the Service Programming Code.

6) Click on the MIP tab. From there, change the following:
    Mobile IP Behavior: Mob + Sim f/back (Simple IP only would probably also work)
    Active User: 0

7) Double click the User Profile 0 in the list box to edit it. In the Mobile IP Profile dialog box, change the following:
    NAI: 10DigitPhone#@mymetropcs.com
    Tethered NAI: 10DigitPhone#@mymetropcs.com
    Home address: 0.0.0.0
    Primary HA address: 0.0.0.0
    Secondary HA address: 0.0.0.0
    Click OK

8) Click on the PPP Config tab. You will now need to calculate your MSL code based on the Metro PCS algorithm (i.e. As if your phone was a Metro PCS branded phone). You can use my MSL generator hosted by whiterabbitorg at http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/ or software such as CDMA Workshop 3.5. Next, click the Um button and change the following. Be sure to use the MSL code you just generated where I have 6DigitMSLCode:
    Tethered NAI: 10DigitPhone#@mymetropcs.com
    User ID: 10DigitPhone#@mymetropcs.com
    Password: 6DigitMSLCode
    Primary DNS: [leave blank or delete any values]
    Secondary DNS: [leave blank or delete any values]

9) Click the AN button and change the following. Again, be sure to use the MSL code you just generated in the Step 8 where I have 6DigitMSLCode:
    User ID: 10DigitPhone#@mymetropcs.com
    Password: 6DigitMSLCode

10) Click Write to Phone. Make notes of any errors for troubleshooting but you can probably ignore them. Close out QPST once writing is complete.

11) These last few steps are optional if you can complete the entire guide. In which case, you can skip to Part II. Otherwise, go back to the phone & install Any Cut from the Android Market Place via WiFi. Run Any Cut and chose New shortcut > Activity > Proxy settings. Any Cut will create a Proxy settings shortcut on your home screen.

12) Run the Proxy Settings you just created and enter the following:
    Hostname: proxy.metropcs.net
    Port: 3128
    Click Save

13) Run the Android Internet Browser and enjoy the Web.

PART II - MMS

If you search hard enough, bits & pieces of how to do MMS on the Droid Eris have been floating about on HoFo for some time now--I just put it together as a coherent whole. Anyhow, here is Part II of the turorial covering MMS.

Provisioning The Phone For MMS
    1) Download and install APN Backup & Restore via WiFi from the Android Market Place.

2) Insert the microSD card into your phone. Run APN Backup & Restore and do a backup by clicking the Backup APNs button. When you are asked to give the backup file a name, go ahead and name it something sensible such as originalAPNs.xml.

3) Connect your phone to your computer and select Disk Drive mode. This will expose the microSD card inside the phone to your computer (you can see mine shows up as G: ). Copy the attached file metropcsAPNs.xml to the ApnBackupRestore folder. Disconnect your phone from the computer.

4) Re-run APN Backup & Restore. This time you are going to first click Delete APNs (be careful NOT to click Delete Backup Files) and click Yes to confirm. Next, click Restore APNs and select the metropcsAPNs.xml file you just copied over to the microSD card in step 3. Click OK to confirm and Yes to check for duplicates.

5) Restart your phone and send away

PART III - APPS

This is Part III and final section of the guide covering the provisioning of data access for apps without the need for WiFi.

Provisioning Data Access For Apps
    1) Go to http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/ and download the ZIP file containing the precompiled binary of u2nl and autostart.sh (it's the link labeled precompiled arm binary). Unzip the download and locate the files u2nl and autostart.sh for the eris (in the main folder and autostart\htcheroeris\metropcs subfolder of the unzipped file, respectively).

2) With the microSD card into your phone, connect your phone to your computer and select Disk Drive mode. copy both u2nl and autostart.sh to the root of your SD card. Once finished, disconnect the phone from your computer.

3) On the phone, enable USB debugging by going to Settings > Applications > Development. This will help reduce the chances that Superuser request will lock up the phone. You can turn USB debugging off after you've completed the guide.

4) Using WiFi, download and install Autostart (Root) by blank.online.eu from the Android Market Place. Once Autostart finishes installing, exit the Android Market Place and turn off WiFi.

5) Connect your phone to your computer and select HTC Sync mode. On the computer, open up a DOS command prompt window. You can do this by going to Start > Run and then typing in cmd [ENTER].

6) You are now going to start an adb shell to copy the files you downloaded in Step 1 to the phone as well as changing some permissions. There are many ways to accomplish this same task: from the adb shell, a terminal emulator on the phone, or a combination there of. This is only my suggested way as it has worked for me without issue. During the process outlined bellow, the phone may ask you to allow for Superuser Permissions when you issue the su command. If it does ask, click Allow on the phone. In the command prompt windows type the following:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /data
    mkdir opt
    chmod 0755 /data/opt
    chmod 0755 /system/bin
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cp /sdcard/autostart.sh /data/opt/autostart.sh
    cp /sdcard/u2nl /system/bin/u2nl
    chmod 0755 /data/opt/autostart.sh
    chmod 0755 /system/bin/u2nl
    reboot

7) Once the phone reboots, Superuser Permissions will ask if you want to allow Autostart to run at system startup. Click Always Allow.

Congratulations!!! You did it!!!

If you found this guide useful please contribute back to the HoFo community by helping others or posting a guide of your own.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by drunkenmojo; 07-14-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Updated to reflect Metro PCS password change implemented on 7/7/2010.
    Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than trolls in the deep subforums.

Feedback Score
    FAQ

What is this guide for?
    The guide helps anyone with a moderate understanding of cellphone modding provision the HTC Droid Eris on Metro PCS for web, MMS, and apps. Because the phone's factory settings are design to only work with Verizon Wireless, many of the features are broken after the switch to Metro PCS through their MetroFlash program which only supports talking and texting.

Will it work for other Android phones?

Probably not... at least not without some modification. Most of the differences happen in the way NV fields are edited (i.e. Part I with respect to this guide) but the MMS and App provisioning will probably be similar. And please, use a ROM designed for your phone unless you know exactly what your doing.

What is rooting and do I really need to root my phone for this to work?

Rooting allows you to run and do things as Root (i.e. the Administrative account) with all the privileges and dangers that this entangles. ROOTING IS REQUIRED to complete the guide. Note that rooting your phone voids any warranties but so does the MetroFlash.

What apps work?

Most apps that can function through, or can be told to use, Metro PCS's proxy on ports 3128 and/or secure port 443 will work. Notable apps that work include email, gmail, Google Maps, Google Navigator, Google Translate, Syncing with your Google account, Youtube, Andoid Market Place (catalog browsing works but downloads still requires WiFi), and HTC Weather widget. Of the apps that don't work over the Metro PCS network, just about everything works correctly when using WiFi.

How long does it usually take?

Not counting the rooting process, it might take you between 1-3 hours the first time but only about an hour after you've got the process down.

Why do I keep getting an SU Request screen that hangs?

You probably forgot to enable USB debugging (see Part III step 3). If you already did this and are still getting this problem after issuing an su command from an ADB shell, try using a terminal emulator from the phone instead or vice versa. You can also try clearing out the Superuser Permissions by going to Settings > Applications > Manage applications, locating Superuser Permissions and clicking Clear data and Clear cache.

Why do I get a permission denied error when I try to copy over the u2nl or autostart files?
    Make sure chmod 0755 commands for the /data/opt and /system/bin folders executed properly. You can also try refreshing the file system per the 2nd mount command or exiting and restarting the ADB shell.

Why doesn't Autostart run automatically?

If you have WiFi enabled when you reboot the phone for the first time after installing Autostart, this may prevent Autostart from loading. Turn off WiFi, rebooting again, and be sure to choose Always Allow when you get the SU Request.

What happens if I do a hard reset?

The NV settings are usually left intact by the reset. To verify this, try making a call and seeing if you still have voice service. Alternatively, open QPST and seeing if the settings have changed. Once the NV settings are verified, you can either restore from a full backup or you can start from Part I step 11 and continue from there. I recommend you do a full backup once you get the settings how you like. If you installed a recovery partition to the phone, see the following link on how to do a full backup and restore: http://www.thefuzz4.net/home/Android...otedPhone.aspx

Where can I find other rooted ROMs for the Droid Eris?

http://www.thefuzz4.net/home/Android...sRootRoms.aspx

What Metro PCS plan should I get for the Droid Eris?

The I40 is a great choice. You can use all the features of the I40 and still get email and navigation without having to sign up for these add-ons. Also, syncing with the Google cloud backs up your contacts, making MetoBACKUP redundant. The I45 will only add international texting, Screen-it, and short codes. The I50 doesn't add anything you didn't already have with the I45.

Will this guide allow me to activate my phone without paying to get it MetroFlashed?

No. That is, unless the MEID is already in the Metro PCS database.
    Last edited by drunkenmojo; 06-29-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    Q and A

Q: Can you complete the guide without QPST?
    A: Yes, but you will have to either skip or find another way to do an NV backup. The fields you need to edit with QPST can also be done through the Eris's EPST menu (i.e. ##778 [Call Button]). Please note that I will in no way provide QPST or links to said software. Any PMs for such request will be deleted and ignored.

Q: I think the attachment is corrupt can you repost it?
    A: The attachment is fine. It's probably your browser or browser configuration treating the small ZIP file as a text instead of binary file. Try a different browser or download agent. Be sure to unzip it and use the metropcsAPNs.xml file contained within with APN Backup & Restore.

Q: Can I get internet working without Any Cut
    Yes. On some ROMs, including Grdlocks Official 2.1 Rom with root, you can use the Voice Dialer and say "Open Proxy Settings" to access the proxy settings. In fact, if you are able to complete Part III successfully, the Any Cut portion (Part I Steps 11-13) isn't even required for web or app data access.

Q: Why does data access for a particular app not work?
    A: It's possible that the app is using a port that's blocked by the Metro PCS proxy. If the app is flexible enough such that you can redirect it to proxy port 3128 or 443, it will probably work. The WiFi connection does not require a proxy and will most likely allow your app to work correctly. While I have not confirmed this myself, others have stated they have had luck with some apps such as Android Market downloads working on EVDO when it fails on a 1x connection.

Q: Does GPS really work?
    A: Yes. Google Navigator with turn by turn spoken directions works if you complete the entire guide successfully. The best part is it's complete FREE--you don't even need to have the MetroNav add-on. Note that Google Navigator requires an active data connection to continuously update mapping information so you have to be in an area where Metro PCS has data coverage. I have not tried it myself but other navigation software may require you change the gpsONE settings per rikrok25's post.

Q: My MMS is not working, can you help me?
    A: Which part of your MMS is not working? Sending? Receiving? Both? You have to specify what's not working, what ROM you are using, how much of the guide you have completed successfully, what market you're in, and what kind of a connection you have (i.e. EVDO or 1x) for others to help you properly. Also, please try to post in this thread so that others can learn from your questions.

Q: Can you help me with my particular Android devices (e.g. Motorola Droid, HTC Incredible, HTC EVO, HTC Hero)?
    A: I can try but this thread is for the HTC Droid Eris. If one exist, please post in the appropriate thread and ask the guide creator for your particular device first. Let's try to keep this thread clean for Eris related questions. A Motorola Droid guide started by missing2 for MetroPCS can be found here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-on-Moto-Droid

Q: Can you tell me what settings I should use for my particular carrier (e.g. Cricket, US Cellular)?
    A: Please search or ask for these settings in that particular carrier's forum.

Q: Will you be creating other guides?
    A: Yes. If time permits and I can get a hold of a phone I'm interested in.

Q: How can I thank you?
    A: If you want to, a simple and short PM or post is enough. However, I would prefer to see you help others of contribute back to the HoFo community. I, as well as many others, do this on my spare time so please understand that I cannot always provide immediate help.
    Last edited by drunkenmojo; 06-29-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo [Afflicted Evo 2.3.3]
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Great job on the right up. users please read over very carefully and i encourage you to wait on the faq before filling the thread with useless questions..
    Code Name: L0GiC4L 3ViL
    Quote: "Make love not war... Contribute dont leech.My insane logic gets the job done..."
    Latest Exploits:
    evo full flash (yes mms works), samsung intercept web (ask around), moto droid full flash
    Next Hijack: AFFLICTION ROM

11/4 3000th post

Feedback Score
    dont forget how to get apps working on metro w/o wifi at http://androidforums.com/all-things-...root-reqd.html i done this and it DOES work.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat105 View Post
    dont forget how to get apps working on metro w/o wifi at http://androidforums.com/all-things-...root-reqd.html i done this and it DOES work.
    whodat...thats what part 3 is...
    im just trying to be UNFORGETTABLE

Carrier(s)
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    Also GPS is a go!!!!...used QPST to edit gpsONE...the typical metro settings worked fine

PDE IP Address: 198.17.1.0
    PDE Port number: 3425
    PDE Transport: IP
    Position calculation: PDE

and all boxes on the left checked...click write then restart...make sure location is on in menu>settings>location setting (and where it says use wireless networks and use gps satellites) and you shoud be good to go

Feedback Score
    oops sorry overlooked it was late lol

Feedback Score
    I wanted to ditch my iPhone and go to Metro, and found out these phones could be used so I bought one on craigslist. I was unaware of being able to do this myself at the time and got someone at a local shop to "fully flash" my phone over to Metro. He loaded up a ROM that is ok, but I would like to try out another ROM.
    How much of this do you have to redo do if you flash on a new ROM?

Feedback Score
    could someone recommend htc hero rom that would work with this walkthrough?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turmoil86 View Post
    could someone recommend htc hero rom that would work with this walkthrough?
    anyone should work. i personally like damage control but others like freshhh

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jessebwallace View Post
    I wanted to ditch my iPhone and go to Metro, and found out these phones could be used so I bought one on craigslist. I was unaware of being able to do this myself at the time and got someone at a local shop to "fully flash" my phone over to Metro. He loaded up a ROM that is ok, but I would like to try out another ROM.
    How much of this do you have to redo do if you flash on a new ROM?
    In addtion to this question, I'd like to piggyback on the post above this one, and ask if there is a better, more compatible ROM for the ERIS for people that follow this guide? I'm currently on Evil Eris, but there are some things I don't like, and I'd like something closer to the stock.

Feedback Score
    drunkenmojo,
    You did a fantastice job!

Hello, everyone. I'm a new kid in a block.
    I tried to flash the first eris, and got an error when I tried to restore metropcsAPNs.xml. It says,

Restore failed: Error Parsing xml Error parsing document. (position:line -1, column -1) caused by: org.apache. harmony.xml. ExpartParser$ParseException: At line 1, column 2: not well-formed (invalid token)

Anybody experienced this?

Carrier(s)
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jessebwallace View Post
    In addtion to this question, I'd like to piggyback on the post above this one, and ask if there is a better, more compatible ROM for the ERIS for people that follow this guide? I'm currently on Evil Eris, but there are some things I don't like, and I'd like something closer to the stock.
    GRDLOCKS official 2.1 with root

its stable, fast and as stock as you can get

Feedback Score
    Can i follow this guide and flash my hero with HTC eris ROM?

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast