Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Uptime for Verizon Mobile Broadband versus AT&T DSL

Feedback Score
    Get AT&T DSL or UVERSE Internet, you can also bundle phone and TV for it to be cheaper, it's a dedicated connection and won't fluctuate like Verizon can if too many user's are on the tower. My VZW speed's are very sporadic and most of the time terrible now. Uverse I get 22/2.8 constantly and it's unlimited and doesn't go out.

Wireless just isn't reliable enough to be used as a modem.

BTW T-Mobile's HSPA+ isn't 4G. It's fast but for real, just because it's wireless doesn't mean it's more reliable. A DSL/Cable connection will be way more reliable in many cases than any wireless broadband card.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by locust43 View Post
    Get AT&T DSL or UVERSE Internet, you can also bundle phone and TV for it to be cheaper
    I called AT&T in early September to have U-verse digital TV installed here. They scheduled an appointment for early October. So that's a 35 to 40 day wait for installation.

I went with Verizon's air card for internet access because I need the mobility.

By the way, I don't think there's a discount on U-verse internet access even though you have U-verse TV. The discount applies to U-verse TV if you bundle it with landline phone service, for example. But I couldn't find a discount for U-verse internet in the brochure they sent me.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm really not that excited about U-verse anymore since I found out it's not fiber to the home, just fiber to the node. If Verizon FIOS tv were available in my city, I wouldn't look twice at AT&T U-verse, since FIOS brings fiber all the way to the home.

But I guess U-verse is a better option than Charter Cable for tv, so I selected U-verse. Maybe I should have gone with Dish Network??

By the way, I think my up-time with Verizon Mobile Broadband was better in Columbia, Missouri (100 miles to the west) than it has been here in St. Louis. I moved to St. Louis in early August, but had Verizon Mobile Broadband for a month in Columbia before the move.

I actually have gone about 45 minutes now on 2 separate occasions without internet access since I've been using Verizon Mobile Broadband in St. Louis for the past 6 weeks. 45 minutes times 2 is 90 minutes in 6 weeks.

The longest outage I experienced in 4 weeks in Columbia was 20 seconds. I guess the big metro area of St. Louis taxes the Verizon towers more than the 100,000 people who live in Columbia.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    That's an uptime of about 99.85 percent, assuming there were no other outages that I wasn't aware of during those 6 weeks. The outages happened at inopportune times. The first 45-minute outage happened at about 6 PM Central Time, and I'm not sure I remember what time the second outage happened, but I think it was around 7 PM Central. At the time I was using Windows XP, so I could see the Verizon Access Manager software reporting one to zero bars for Verizon Mobile Broadband. Now I'm back to using Linux exclusively on my desktop. Gosh, Linux is so much better than Microsoft Windows.

The Toshiba laptop is using Windows 7, and I can't install Ubuntu on the laptop for now. I may be forced to do a command line install of Ubuntu on the laptop since the graphic install isn't working.

I've also had one dropped phone call on Page Plus / Verizon in the 6 weeks I've been in St. Louis. In a year of Page Plus / Verizon phone service in Columbia, I never had a dropped call.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I live close to Bayless High School. And from my house, I can see the upper one-third of a cell phone tower that's located on the Bayless campus. But I guess that's an AT&T tower??? Anyone familiar with that cell tower? Is Verizon also using that tower? How could they with the kind of performance I related above?
    Last edited by Built_Well; 09-20-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Charter Cable has become surprisingly better in STL recently, and they now have the 29.95/mo for 7mb/s guaranteed for 2 years. I actually can't remember having a single internet outage with them in the past year and half. U-Verse is nice, but quite a bit more expensive.

CoMo is decent for VZW service because a substantial portion of the Mizzou students use AT&T (for the iPhone) or Sprint/T-Mobile (because they are cheap), and their network isn't really used. In STL, I don't know if VZW just decided to give up (because it is an AT&T stronghold) or what, but the network has always been terrible. If you really want a mobile service for internet, switch to AT&T; 100% guaranteed you will get better service with them in STL than with VZW (especially since they have just rolled out another layer of capacity).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    Charter Cable has become surprisingly better in STL recently, and they now have the 29.95/mo for 7mb/s guaranteed for 2 years. I actually can't remember having a single internet outage with them in the past year and half. U-Verse is nice, but quite a bit more expensive.

CoMo is decent for VZW service because a substantial portion of the Mizzou students use AT&T (for the iPhone) or Sprint/T-Mobile (because they are cheap), and their network isn't really used. In STL, I don't know if VZW just decided to give up (because it is an AT&T stronghold) or what, but the network has always been terrible. If you really want a mobile service for internet, switch to AT&T; 100% guaranteed you will get better service with them in STL than with VZW (especially since they have just rolled out another layer of capacity).
    I actually think Verizon has a stronger 3G network in the city, specifically around Wash U and SLU. Throughout West County, however, Verizon is not as great as at&t. My $.02...
    AT&T HSPA+_____________________________________________ ____________AT&T LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Built_Well View Post
    I'm really not that excited about U-verse anymore since I found out it's not fiber to the home, just fiber to the node. If Verizon FIOS tv were available in my city, I wouldn't look twice at AT&T U-verse, since FIOS brings fiber all the way to the home.

But I guess U-verse is a better option than Charter Cable for tv, so I selected U-verse. Maybe I should have gone with Dish Network??

By the way, I think my up-time with Verizon Mobile Broadband was better in Columbia, Missouri (100 miles to the west) than it has been here in St. Louis. I moved to St. Louis in early August, but had Verizon Mobile Broadband for a month in Columbia before the move.

I actually have gone about 45 minutes now on 2 separate occasions without internet access since I've been using Verizon Mobile Broadband in St. Louis for the past 6 weeks. 45 minutes times 2 is 90 minutes in 6 weeks.

The longest outage I experienced in 4 weeks in Columbia was 20 seconds. I guess the big metro area of St. Louis taxes the Verizon towers more than the 100,000 people who live in Columbia.
    Your area is getting 4G and will be live in November. That may be why you are having problems.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    at&t, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
    I actually think Verizon has a stronger 3G network in the city, specifically around Wash U and SLU. Throughout West County, however, Verizon is not as great as at&t. My $.02...
    110% guaranteed AT&T's network is stronger around WashU. I don't know about SLU, but I have first hand experience with WashU. In addition to the towers that serve the general campus, AT&T built TWO new towers on campus (on South 40 and near Francis Field) in one summer alone.

Only advantage VZW had at the time was that AT&T wasn't apart of the university's DAS. VZW was, and thus got cell service in the DUC parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude View Post
    Your area is getting 4G and will be live in November. That may be why you are having problems.
    That is good, nay, great news! I'm glad VZW is finally deciding to care about the STL market!!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    110% guaranteed AT&T's network is stronger around WashU. I don't know about SLU, but I have first hand experience with WashU. In addition to the towers that serve the general campus, AT&T built TWO new towers on campus (on South 40 and near Francis Field) in one summer alone.

Only advantage VZW had at the time was that AT&T wasn't apart of the university's DAS. VZW was, and thus got cell service in the DUC parking garage.
    Around SLU, Verizon is tops. The Busch Student Center has long been a problem for at&t. Around Wash U, I mostly saw good at&t service, but once-in-awhile 3G would stall along the Delmar Loop.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellKrazeDude
    Thanks, I hope that is the case, because I was helping a customer during the first 45-minute loss of service.

Anyone know if LTE 4G will have a 5-gig cap like 3G? Or is it all still hush-hush?
    Last edited by Built_Well; 09-21-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've just been reading a little about LTE. Gosh, sounds exciting. 5 to 12 Mbps
    with latency as low as 30 ms. Probably a tiered pricing structure from Verizon.
    Sounds good, maybe I can save money. On most days I don't go over 30 Megabtyes of transfer, which is much less than the 160 Megs per day to reach the 5-Gig monthly cap.

The rumored launch day is November 15. That's well past my 30-day EVDO guarantee period which ends in late October. Maybe they'll let me upgrade to LTE and start the 2 year contract from Nov. 15. Sheesh, this LTE must be something if Sprint is considering moving to LTE after just rolling out WiMax.

But what's the uptime like {chuckle}. The press releases never mention uptime.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    From IntoMobile.com :

"In Sweden, recent tests performed by IDG on TeliaSonera’s network show that LTE delivers real world results of average downloads around 33.4 Mbps on the download and 12.7 Mbps on the upload. What’s limiting Verizon is beyond me, but knowing how much they care about network quality, going so far as to say they’ve pumped $100 billion into their network since the start of this century, it’s not going to be long before they double or even triple what they’re planning on offering come this holiday season."

Zoinks, Comcast's 100 Mbps hard wire better watch out!

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I think what is limiting Veizon is they want to underpromise and overdeliver -- they did reportedly get peak speeds of about 50mbps during their tests, but they know some sites will be heavily loaded so they don't want people to complain when those sites "only" deliver 5 or 10mbps to them. It's like with EVDO, Verizon claims 600kbps-1.4mbps while some people do get 2mbps or more.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for your wonderful comments and insights. They're all very much appreciated.

You know I'm beginning to think my old Novatel USB 727 modem (the "air card" that I used with GroupAccess) is a better modem than my newer Novatel USB 760 that Verizon sent me.

I was getting a good number of dropped packets when I first plugged in my USB 760 in the back of my desktop. I think the dropped packets were a result of the 760's antenna being obstructed by the mouse cable and keyboard cable plugs that were both directly to the left of the 760, perhaps obstructing its antenna.

The USB 760 has such a small form factor that the antenna was being blocked by those two cables. The small form factor is an advantage and disadvantage. My older USB 727 is a bit bigger but its pull-out square antenna wasn't blocked at all by the two cables which were further away from the pull-out square antenna.

I solved the lost packet problem by simply moving the 760 to a different USB port on the back of the computer, away from any obstructions.

On a slightly different note, I wonder if the pull-out square antenna of the older 727 is an intrinsically better-performing antenna than the internal dual antenna of the 760?

Another thing I've noticed since replacing the 727 with the 760 on my desktop is I'm occasionally having to reload Google Mail two or more times, because on the first or second loading, the web browser will return a totally blank page. That began happening right after I replaced the 727 with the 760. It doesn't happen everytime, but once every 4 or 5 times that I check my Google mail, I have to reload at least once because I'll get at totally blank white page. How might the 760 be contributing to this? Is it a result of the 760 being too fast or too slow, or something else?

I never had this minor problem with the 727 and it started on the first day I installed the 760.

Any other advantages and disadvantages you can think of for the 727 and 760?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast