Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Northern Ontario coverage

Device(s)
    LG P690
    Carrier(s)
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score

Northern Ontario coverage

I will be travelling from Toronto to Thunder Bay soon. I plan on taking Highway 17. I would like to know from coverage is really like from Sault St Marie to Thunder Bay. Is it still a huge dead zone, or has it improved in recent years?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    SE X10
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    rogers signed a big agreement with tbay tel up there, so it is going to nicely covered, however I don't believe it's active yet as their website still shows no coverage until you hit thunderbay.
    xbox live gamertag: Mighty Boink

Add me and come get pwned

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I drove from Sault St Marie to Thunder Bay on Highway 17, just last month... 9 hours of nothing. Bring some music or an entertaining friend. Maybe once every couple of hours I got a blip of a signal enough to pop up on my Google Maps, but forget about zooming in or out to get an idea which town I'm driving by. I counted 6 cell towers as I drove up, but they were pretty much all Bell (I guessed Bell because I only saw Bell service vans, no Rogers ones).
    If you're going past Thunder Bay (still on 17), about 20 minutes out, you'll drop signal again and stay off until UPSALA, then off again until Ignace.. then off again until Dryden, then off, then Kenora.

Now when I say there is signal.. I'm not talking about 3G, it's 2G (EDGE), except Thunder Bay where there is 3G, but like I said, 20 minutes out and it drops again.

I was using an iPhone 3GS when I went up there.

My collection- BB: 8100, 8220, 8830, 8800, 8900, 9300, 9630. LG: GR500, TE365, TU720. MT: K1, XT910. NK: n97 mini, 6101. SE: c510, w810, w580, w380, s710. SGH: D807, P207, GT-i9100, GT-i317.

Past phones- Apple: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4. BB: 8130, 8310, 8700, 9000, 9530, 9550, 9700, 9800. HTC: Dream G1, Magic G2. LG: CU500. MT: v3c, v3i, v220, v360, v551. NK: 5300, 6061, 6068, n95-4. SE: t630, w350, w760, x10, z520. SGH: A516, J706, GT-i9000m.

Device(s)
    Nokia N85
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Agreed with kintamanate. I took a bus to Edmonton (worst decision ever, I flew back) in the summer of '09 (or '08, can't remember) and there was a massive dead zone in Northern Ontario along that route. Probably for about 8 hours I never had a signal, not even 2G.

Feedback Score
    I regularly go up to TB for work and the Rogers coverage is abysmal. No 3G and when you get out of the TB area, you lose signal altogether. I am glad to hear that Rogers worked out an agreement with TBay Tel. I am going to Google that now to learn the details. The stretch of highway between TB and SSM is dead as far as Rogers goes until whatever agreement made comes into force. Good luck!

Device(s)
    SE X10
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    tbaytel's coverage look pretty solid

http://www.tbaytel.net/residential/m...coverage.shtml

Device(s)
    LG P690
    Carrier(s)
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated!

Feedback Score
    I just moved back to Toronto last month after living in Thunder Bay for five years. Been on Rogers since day 1, and I can tell you there is not a lick of coverage as soon as you leave the city. I too heard about the deal with TbayTel, but it was, as far as I could tell not active back in June.

Device(s)
    LG P690
    Carrier(s)
    Speak Out Canada
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I heard that Rogers signed with TbayTel, and that area would allow Rogers customers to roam on TbayTel's HSPA coverage. Once that happens, do you think Rogers 2G phones would work along that stretch as well?

Device(s)
    HTC 1x
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I heard that a tower is going up by Pays Plat. It should be 3G to provide internet to the first nation.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdrumming View Post
    I will be travelling from Toronto to Thunder Bay soon. I plan on taking Highway 17. I would like to know from coverage is really like from Sault St Marie to Thunder Bay. Is it still a huge dead zone, or has it improved in recent years?

Thanks!
    rogers.com/coverage

Device(s)
    Samsung T201G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    I used to travel that stretch at least twice a year -- get a satphone. Iridium is the best of the satphones (as service is available 24-7) and is available in Canada. Forget Globalstar -- you are lucky if you can use it for an hour a day that far north (they use satellite windows rather than have full coverage). That stretch between Kenora and Winnipeg also did not have any cell towers within it (it has been a few years since I have been up there, though).

Device(s)
    LG G6 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sault ste. Marie coverage has always ended by Hayden, and I suspect TBayTel's coverage starts 'close' to ThunderBay. Last time I spoke to people at TBayTel, they expect 3g coverage in TBay this fall, but nothing much else for some time.
    http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
    According to gsmworld:

Canada - Coverage and Network Information
    TBayTel
    No coverage map is available for this networkNo coverage map is available for this network
    Network Information
    Operator: TBayTel
    Network: TBayTel
    Technology: GSM 850/1900
    Services

No services have been declared for this network.
    Roaming Partners

TBayTel has not declared any active roaming agreements with other network operators to the GSM Association.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    So the question then will be... how much? Reciprocal roaming (i.e. no extra cost), or per-minute roaming?
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamdrumming View Post
    Yes, I heard that Rogers signed with TbayTel, and that area would allow Rogers customers to roam on TbayTel's HSPA coverage. Once that happens, do you think Rogers 2G phones would work along that stretch as well?
    There will be no enhancement to the current GSM coverage. You will need an HSPA phone in order to access the new 3G network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast