9 23.08%
  • nahh, 9/11 isn't islam, but I just think its in poor taste

7 17.95%
  • im ok with it, though i think its in a bit of poor taste

8 20.51%
  • I see no problem at all with it, build away

15 38.46%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Guys Think About the Mosque Proposed Near Ground Zero?

Device(s)
    6110, HWideos
    Carrier(s)
    singtel(sg), telkomsel(id), maxis(my)
    Feedback Score

What Do You Guys Think About the Mosque Proposed Near Ground Zero?

ok, I'd like to hear how you guys feel about this...

I myself am kindof on the fence about it.... in one sense, it isnt Islam that is responsible for the 9/11 attacks, just the same as it isnt christianity responsible for the bombings of abortion doctors...

but I also see how some people could find it inappropriate. Sensitivity perhaps should take precedent before religious tolerance in this case. I suppose i would liken it to oh, not having a german food restaurant next to the auschwitz museum grounds.

personally, I think we should build an atheist center there instead- perhaps explain how religions have variously been used for justification of all sorts of terrible acts- and that devoid of it- we could reduce at least one motivational factor in these sorts of acts.
    76% of statistics are based on 59% false information, and 28% outright lies. 34% of statistics are purposely misleading, and 88% are fabricated due to missed deadlines and faith-based agendas.
    I am a green libertarian, i want to move to new vermontshire
    http://zfacts.com/
    http://wikileaks.org

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Well, I think that since we had to stop saying "Merry Christmas" because Muslims found it "insensitive" or whatever (and that's just one example of many) that they of all people should understand why this is in poor taste.

Flame away
    Please dont lie, cheat, or steal. The Government doesnt like competition.....

Device(s)
    Current: White I9100
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's just like putting a building full of racist white people in a predominantly black town... wait a minute

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    seems like the poll questions are a little loaded...I think it's a giant middle-finger towards America for them to even *want* to do this.

Device(s)
    6110, HWideos
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
    seems like the poll questions are a little loaded...I think it's a giant middle-finger towards America for them to even *want* to do this.
    Thats initially how it struck me, but Im thinking now that moderate muslims want to put this mosque in the vicinity in an attempt to teach people that islam condemns this and that people shouldnt come to NY and see only the destruction brought by one sect of islam- but that they should at the same time be able to see a mosque and real muslims who arent militants.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chemikaldreem View Post
    Thats initially how it struck me, but Im thinking now that moderate muslims want to put this mosque in the vicinity in an attempt to teach people that islam condemns this and that people shouldnt come to NY and see only the destruction brought by one sect of islam- but that they should at the same time be able to see a mosque and real muslims who arent militants.
    Their original plan was to have the mosque open on September 11, 2011. Why open it on that day? It's like they want to mock 9/11. Furthermore, if they wanted to really help heal everyone in the area, they would respect the wishes of the many people in the area and victims families who find it in bad taste. They have a right to build it, but it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I would really want to know exactly where all this money is coming from as well.

For a group of people that are sensitive about EVERYTHING, you would think they could understand why this is a bad idea.

Device(s)
    HTC Aria
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (current)
    Feedback Score
    Much ado about not a whole heck of alot.

First of all, the mosque is *already* there. They just want to expand it.

Second of all, blocking this makes us like the REAL enemy, the hypocrites of Islam, the terrorists. Less violent? Maybe. But no less intolerant.

And, finally, I'm PROUD of our commitment to the religious freedom clause of the 1st Amendment. Do you understand what welcoming this means to those murderous morons trying to kill us?

There are all kinds of negative ways this effort could be taken. Most of them are win-win for the terrorists, even if those ways turn out to be the truth. We have no reason to emulate Switzerland banning all minarets. Or France denying women their choice to remain under the burqha.

We are not them. Let's stop trying to be like them. We're FAR better than that.
    -+-
    RØß
    O/Siris
    ~+~
    A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be.
    Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
    but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792

Copyright Law isn't just about filesharing.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0siris View Post

Second of all, blocking this makes us like the REAL enemy, the hypocrites of Islam, the terrorists. Less violent? Maybe. But no less intolerant.

And, finally, I'm PROUD of our commitment to the religious freedom clause of the 1st Amendment. Do you understand what welcoming this means to those murderous morons trying to kill us?

There are all kinds of negative ways this effort could be taken. Most of them are win-win for the terrorists, even if those ways turn out to be the truth. We have no reason to emulate Switzerland banning all minarets. Or France denying women their choice to remain under the burqha.

I 100% agree with everything in this post.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    just to keep things interesting, there's a guy I enjoy listening to on occasion, Pat Condell, something of an "angry atheist," you might say. He's an entertainer, first and foremost, but I think he brings up some good points. Here's his Video Blog on this topic:

On Islam in general:

Now, he'll rail about the dangers of fundamentalist Christianity as much as Islam, but again, I think he makes good points. And I'm a born-again believer...go figure, when you're right, you're right. Of course I don't agree with everything he says, but I do more often than not.

Device(s)
    6110, HWideos
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0siris View Post

agreed- destroy fundamentalists propaganda ammunition. by allowing the mosque, we marginalize the sect responsible for 9/11 and deflate their 'holy war' argument and expose it for what it is- an angry political movement

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T mo
    Feedback Score
    me personally whos very liberal i thought it was a bad taste, because of the attention they will get and bad publicity. I dont believe they want to build it to say **** America. I'm glad they are allowed to build the mosque because from any other country we are the best when it comes to the freedom of speech and protecting peoples religous belief.
    Past Phones
    Motorola: V400, V330, T722
    Samsung: D528, SGH-R225, SGH-R225, SGH-R225
    Sony Ericson: S710a, W600i, T68i
    Nokia: 6270, 6101
    Treo: 650
    T mobile Dash-X2
    Iphone 2g 8GB X3

Device(s)
    HTC Aria
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (current)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nas6034 View Post
    me personally whos very liberal i thought it was a bad taste, because of the attention they will get and bad publicity. I dont believe they want to build it to say **** America. I'm glad they are allowed to build the mosque because from any other country we are the best when it comes to the freedom of speech and protecting peoples religous belief.
    You may be interested to know that I agree that such an expansion of their mosque is bad taste. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that their intention was not malicious or incendiary. Still, they have to know the bad feelings it would generate, and they should respect those feelings. Respect, however, doesn't necessarily mean don't do it. Just for one example, they could renovate the inside and not touch the exterior facade of the building (if that's feasible). There are ways to do this. None of those ways will please either the "No mosque, no way" crowd, nor the "It's our right, so there!" crowd. I'm good with that.

Device(s)
    6110, HWideos
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    looks like obama has weighed in on the side of absolute freedom of religion....
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/am...058404426.html

after rethinking this issue, i have to ask, who are we to say what people can and cannot do on private property? As long as things are done according to local zoning regulations, then this argument has no place even happening. I would have to ask those against the mosque what grounds they use in objecting to it... We cannot, as a nation, begin to decide who or what we deem tasteful before allowing private property owners to do as they will on their own property, (within zoning regulations of course)

The hypocrisy of some of the people opposing the mosque is astounding. self-proclaimed defenders of free will and anti-government crusaders are calling for, of all things, government intervention in the rights of private property owners... If this sort of government intervention is palatable to them, then why not disallowing democratic party offices in republican strongholds? Perhaps pro-abortion democratic offices could be also considered distasteful or offensive to the point of not allowing them to be built...

Stopping private property owners because we dont like them is a very dangerous road to go down...

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Here's the thing with that, though. I'm not (though I know others are), calling for government intervention on this. I just think it's the ultimate hypocrisy for a religion that gets so easily offended, and to which we so easily acquiesce, to demand such a huge concession from us. For example, the US military originally called their operation in Afghanistan, "Operation Infinite Justice" ...but since "infinite justice" can only come from Allah, Muslims got all pissed off about it, so we changed it to "Operation Enduring Freedom." They'll riot about a cartoon depicting Muhammad, but they can't be bothered to care what the victims of 9/11 and their families think about the issue--they're going to put it there just because they "can"....my argument is basically that just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should" The purpose of what they're trying to do sounds noble, build bridges, and foster a cross-culture dialogue, and I can't imagine a scenario where the $100 Million, 13-story Cordoba House needs to be around the block from ground zero, which, to many people, is near sacrosanct. It's going to hurt their mission to relocate the place? They don't mind imposing their views and sensitivities on us, but Imam Rauf is either so out of touch with the climate of the community that he either a) doesn't understand the pain it's causing a lot of people, especially the victims and their families, or b) he does realize it, but just doesn't care.

Device(s)
    Current: White I9100
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    How far away should the mosque be before it's "OK"? Since 9/11, racists and other Christians have been protesting at mosques all around the country. People only want freedom of religion if it benefits Christianity.

I'm glad they're building the mosque and glad that Obama is in favor of it. We're now seeing that the true colors of the many mirror those of the few that they've tried so hard to separate from.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast