Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked iPhone Purchases Actually Locked?

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Unlocked iPhone Purchases Actually Locked?

On launch day I was with my buddy and we both bought 2 unlocked iPhone 4's. Both of us received 2 micro sims with them, and on the receipt the sims show the ICCID as "11111111111111" instead of the actual sim #.

Anyway, buddy went back today with the 2nd unlocked iphone to exchange it and use it as a hup for his wife. At the apple store one of the employees looked at his receipt and said "hey, these are locked iphones you purchased, not unlocked, you can tell by the sim being scanned as '1111111111111'. Watch, try putting this sim card for telus in". They tried the telus sim and it didnt work. He was able to exchange the 2nd iP4 that wasn't opened yet with another unlocked (don't know why they simply couldn't assign it in the system as an unlocked one and had to physically replace it). He has to get the original packaging of the 1st iP4 that he's actually using and go there to replace it.

Anyone come across this at all? Anyone able to try a different sim? I've got a few sims I want to test on mine (same situation) but none of them are micro sims.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rol, Belgers
    Feedback Score
    I bought a unlocked iPhone 4 and I was wondering about that too if it was truely unlocked... So i trimmed down my o2wireless card to a microsim and popped in it my iPhone and it works fine.

Looked at my receipt and the Mobile Number and BAN is 1111111111. Also says No Contract Sim and my ICCID and IMEI is filled. I did get a Rogers Microsim when I got my Phone. The rep and I went on My Rogers to swap the cards as of course my original sim was a full size sim.

Apple store. Get it? I'm an iPhone for god sakes.
    Feedback Score
    On my receipts it shows the ICCID as '000000000000000'.

The Apple store employee was more worried that they were on the same receipt. Anyways, he wasn't totally sure, so we tried his micro sim from Telus in my phone and it simply didn't work. Even after all sorts of carrier settings being reset.

When we tried my Rogers micro sim in his iPhone, it worked. Hence proving mine was locked and his wasn't.

I'm still not entirely sure how he knew it was locked, but he was saying they shouldn't be on the same receipt.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I thought I read that the phone and the SIM need to on separate bills. If they are on the same bill it triggers a lock...doesn't make a lot of sense, but I am pretty sure I read it in one of the thread here.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rol, Belgers
    Feedback Score
    Maybe mine is unlocked due to the fact it says on my receipt "No Contract Sim".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CiD View Post
    Are phone and sim on the same receipt?

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to have to look at my receipt when i get home. That's pretty stupid if I bought a full price iPhone that is supposed to be unlocked and something as simple as the SIM being on the same bill as the iPhone locking it to said provider. I'm going to be pissed if that's the case, otherwise I would have locked myself in with Fido again for another 3 years.

Can I actually go to the Apple store and have them try a Bell/Telus SIM in my phone to see if it's locked or not?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xero9 View Post
    I'm going to have to look at my receipt when i get home. That's pretty stupid if I bought a full price iPhone that is supposed to be unlocked and something as simple as the SIM being on the same bill as the iPhone locking it to said provider. I'm going to be pissed if that's the case, otherwise I would have locked myself in with Fido again for another 3 years.

Can I actually go to the Apple store and have them try a Bell/Telus SIM in my phone to see if it's locked or not?
    What Apple store did you purchase from originally?

I'm sure if you went they'd help you test it to see if it was unlocked or not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rol, Belgers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone 4 View Post
    Are phone and sim on the same receipt?
    Yes they are...

Feedback Score
    Snap!

CiD is right, on the new receipt they're together, but it says "No contract Sim".

On my other receipts it says "Rogers - Micro SIM iPhone 4".

Effing bastards!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CiD View Post
    I wouldn't read that into it. No contract could just as well mean no contract sim, but could still mean carrier locked. (As an aside, WTF would anyone knowingly pay basically full price for a contract free but locked phone?)

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rol, Belgers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xero9 View Post

You probably can... The other way would be if you have a friend that has a iPhone with a different carrier and you swap the simcards. Or do the cut another providers simcard to a micro one method if you have one...

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Rol, Belgers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    I wouldn't read that into it. No contract could just as well mean no contract sim, but could still mean carrier locked. (As an aside, WTF would anyone knowingly pay basically full price for a contract free but locked phone?)
    But mine is unlocked... I tested it with a US carrier simcard (O2 Wireless/Locus) and it works fine.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is all extremely annoying. What if someone hadn't run into this and many of us bought unlocked iPhones that are really locked? Friday when we were at square one there was many people purchasing.. can only imagine how many bought unlocked and may have locked units without realizing.

Feedback Score
    I'll post pic of new and old receipt. One sec.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast