View Poll Results: What do you think about the G2 slider mechanism?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it

25 53.19%
  • I don't like it

14 29.79%
  • I don't care

8 17.02%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you like the G2's keyboard mechanism?

Device(s)
    Main Use: iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In fact, I won't get it. This is a discussion forum, though, so I'm discussing this major flaw in a device which, by the way, is the sole reason why I am not getting it. Prior to launch, people were postulating that the hinge wouldn't be as flimsy as the photos might lead one to believe. Now that it has launched and the hinge is in fact defective, people are saying "don't buy one." Well, duh! That's the whole point of this thread!! When I am in the market for a new device, I search the forums for any reviews/feedback about it first. I think it's more productive to have a discussion about a major design flaw such as this than to just ignore it and not post. If somebody out there sees this and saves themselves the trouble, then it was worth posting. Sorry if threads like these make you regret dropping several hundred dollars on a phone with a faulty hinge, but that's the risk you take as an early adopter.
    CURRENT ITEMS FOR SALE:

My feedback thread

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Topas View Post
    In fact, I won't get it. This is a discussion forum, though, so I'm discussing this major flaw in a device which, by the way, is the sole reason why I am not getting it. Prior to launch, people were postulating that the hinge wouldn't be as flimsy as the photos might lead one to believe. Now that it has launched and the hinge is in fact defective, people are saying "don't buy one." Well, duh! That's the whole point of this thread!! When I am in the market for a new device, I search the forums for any reviews/feedback about it first. I think it's more productive to have a discussion about a major design flaw such as this than to just ignore it and not post. If somebody out there sees this and saves themselves the trouble, then it was worth posting. Sorry if threads like these make you regret dropping several hundred dollars on a phone with a faulty hinge, but that's the risk you take as an early adopter.
    because the concensus is that the hinge is not defective and is only an issue if you hold the phone upside down. It looks like you don't even own the phone and are using forums as your guage and even in those forums the majority of people have said the hinge is NOT a problem. Are you going to keep insisting it's a reason to not buy the phone despite the ovewhelming majority of owners saying it is not a problem?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It is a valid reason not to buy the phone. Many other sliders don't have this problem.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I guess, but I got mine this morning and don't see any problem with it. I would have preferred a normal slider because I am used to them but I see nothing wrong with the hinge on the G2. It's not loose at all. Have you gone to the store and tried it out? I think this is a bunch of noise about nothing. I can't see many people passing on this phone because of the hinge.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    everyone i've showed the phone too seems to like the hinge and it's design, so i do not see it harming sales at all.
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    HTC Desirez/G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sir Topas, I completely agree with you. I fell in love with the G2 when I first saw it, but I was a bit skeptical about the hinge mechanism. After scouring the net and xda-dev, I've come to the conclusion that some units' hinges are defective because not all of them exhibit this "screen dropping" problem. The video from Engadget's post is a perfect example of what I would call a defective unit. I've seen other videos where the screen portion doesn't even budge when held upside-down. This has to be a manufacturing defect.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks dubz2st.

I guess the bottom line is to each his own. The defect may not bother some people, but there certainly are people who will pass on this device because of the defect, thereby hurting sales. I believe in sending messages to manufacturers that say "bringing defective merchandise to market is not acceptable" by refusing to drop several hundred dollars on it and buying something else. There is always the next best thing around the corner!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When the hinges start to separate, I'll say it was a "faulty" design.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Motorola W490
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This reminds me of the issue that the G1 had, remember the screen becoming a bit loose after a few days use?...It wasnt broken though. I am not having any issues with me device, I am very satisfied.

Device(s)
    HTC Desirez/G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I mean, don't get me wrong, I love HTC. I think they are the top quality, #1 smartphone manufacturer out there. And I still love the G2 too, but I'm just waiting this one out for the time being to see where it goes. This is the phone of my dreams, and I was a little sad to see some people having this problem.

Device(s)
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Cool Buy a candy bar phone if you worry about hinges that break

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Topas View Post
    How so? Doesn't it look like those flimsy metal pieces could break off? The mechanism should be internal like it is on the TP2 IMO.
    Talk after you've held one in your hands. Had mine for a couple of days now, and yes it does hang when upside down. If you are going to be spending a lot of time using your phone upside down, I'd pass. Otherwise get this phone it's great. The hinge mechanism is as sturdy as the G1 and opens easily even with one hand. Ever since hinges were added to cell phones, they have been likely to break. The G2 is no different. I have never had a hinge fail on me yet, and with reasonable care, I expect the same with the G2.
    Unplugged Since 1999

Feedback Score
    My G2 is fine. No issues with the hinge. The loose hinge issue doesn't seem to be across the board. It's more of a case-by-case scenario.

If you like the phone and the only thing keeping you from getting one is the hinge issue, I suggest picking one up at a T-Mobile store, and checking the hinge right there. You can have the salesperson go through a few boxes and find you a phone with a good hinge.

Really, putting the hinge deal aside, it's a fantastic phone. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by staying away from the device due to a problem that could be easily solved...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hammondnav View Post
    My G2 is fine. No issues with the hinge. The loose hinge issue doesn't seem to be across the board. It's more of a case-by-case scenario.

If you like the phone and the only thing keeping you from getting one is the hinge issue, I suggest picking one up at a T-Mobile store, and checking the hinge right there. You can have the salesperson go through a few boxes and find you a phone with a good hinge.

Really, putting the hinge deal aside, it's a fantastic phone. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by staying away from the device due to a problem that could be easily solved...
    When you say "no issues with the hinge," what does that mean? Does it mean you have a spring-loaded hinge?

My hinge stays up, but only because there's a little more friction than in the looser ones. If I shake it gently in the open position, the screen eventually comes down. This is not nearly the same thing as a spring-loaded hinge like the G1, which would never fall no matter how hard I shook it.

Furthermore, I think my G2 hinge is getting a little looser as time goes on.

Personally I don't mind at all--I love the phone--but I think it's misleading to say that some are "fine" and others aren't. Unless a new batch of spring-loaded ones just came out, they're all very similar, some are just a little stickier than others. People expecting a snappy elastic hinge are going to be disappointed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 VZW
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I just played with one at a T-Mo store, and granted it's been abused I'm sure by anyone and everyone walking into the store... buuuut... Still does not inspire too much confidence... I was thinking of getting one, but I'm not so sure...

Even after 14 day window for T-Mo's return policy, are you able to return a G2 if it develops a loose hinge mechanism after the 14 days?

> Clearnet PCS: Nokia 6188 (1999)

-> Bell : Nokia 6185 -> Motorola ST7867W (99-01)

--> AT&T: Nokia 6360 -> Nokia 6200 - (01-04)

---> Verizon: LG VX6000 -> Motorola E815 - (04-07)

----> Cingular/AT&T: Samsung Blackjack -> 8525 -> RAZR V3xx -> iPhone (RIP) -> iPhone 3GS - (Jan 07-Dec 09)

-----> T-Mobile: iPhone 3GS (unlock) -> Nexus One -> 9700 - (Dec 09-Jun 10 )

------> AT&T: iPhone 4 -> iPhone 3GS - (Jun '10-Mar '11)

-------> Verizon: iPhone4 - (Mar '11-TBD)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're not able to return anything after the return period... you can get an exchange.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast