Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HTC Hero Full Tutorial

Carrier(s)
    MetroPcs
    Feedback Score

HTC Hero Full Tutorial

How To: HTC Hero For MetroPCS - WEB/MMS/APPS/GPS

Ok first and foremost, I am in no way taking any credit for anything posted here, im just putting together the info I found and used in one easy to use step by step guide for setting up the Hero on MetroPCS . I firmly believe in giving credit to whomever contributed to anything related to this and if you feel like you need or want your name specifically on here, PM me I will gladly add your name, otherwise all credit goes to the guys who figured this out separately and collectively and the smart people with the solutions that start off as ideas..great job guys and thanks for everything..

**Disclaimer** I am in no way responsible for your phone. (blah blah blah you know the rest) Use at your own risk, although I haven't seen or heard of anything wrong or bad happening except maybe people losing sleep lol...I'm not responsible for that either.

So, without further ado, lets get to it.

Prerequisites:
    HTC Hero already MetroFlashed-(this means flashed with talk and text) if you havent already done so visit your local store and get it done.
    AndroidSDK available in the rooting link or google
    HTC DIAG drivers (HTC Sync has them) you can get this in the rooting link ..look below
    CDMA WS 2.7 or up-search the net google is your amigo
    QPST- search the net...google is your amigo
    The “does it all for you Zip file”

PART 1: Rooting and Custom Rom

Your Phone must have root access for this to work. If your already rooted, great you have a head start, if not catch up. How do you check?? If your phone has an app call “Superuser” chances are is you are rooted already, confirm by downloading a terminal app from the market and typing in “su” without the quotes and if you get a hashtag # then you are rooted. Or confirm by installing the ANDROIDSDK and starting a command prompt and launching a adb shell from the tools folder then “su” again hashtag=rooted.

If you aren't rooted, follow the instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=58329*please note this is for Android 1.5, if you are on Android 2.1 follow this guide to root http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=694572 .. In either case follow the instructions and read carefully. BTW to avoid any problems make sure your SDCARD is formatted to your phone. (if it isnt or you arent sure, backup your stuff, unmount the card from the settings/sdcard menu then chose format)..

Ok after you are rooted and booted, time for a custom rom that actually allows everything to work on MetroPCS. There are so many to choose from...OMG how do I choose. Fact of the matter is I have tried many and ONLY ONE allows everything to work. MMS is almost always the problem..Why?? I honestly have no idea except for maybe its because it is Eris based. Anyways your gonna need DamageControl v.1. It has to be version “1” the later versions dont work completely with Metro. Get it here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=644079 (they are towards the bottom of the first post and have many mirror links anyone will do, I personally went with the first link)(if you want to try the “espresso” version it should also work, but I used the regular one)

Place the ZIP on your SDCard then boot to your recovery menu and chose flash from sd and chose the damagecontrol zip file. follow the prompts then wait while it flashes your rom.

Once its done and you see “install from SDCard complete” Choose Reboot Phone..it will take longer than usual so dont worry just be patient. If it doesn't say install complete there is a problem with the zip you downloaded or if it doesn't show up, make sure your sdcard is formatted to your phone and the zip file is in the root(main) of your sdcard. Anyways go through the setup and you'll be at your home screen. Congrats now you are rooted and have a custom rom, you may proceed.

Part 2: Using CDMA WS and QPST

CDMA Workshop is only used to get your MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) code. You do so by connecting your phone in diag mode ##3424 “call”(if you don't have the Dcv1 rom already its ##3424# ) You should get a window that says DM Command Service. If it disappears, simply dial the code again. Once on that screen, connect your phone to the usb. It should install some drivers for you(check the bottom right task bar for activity) click on the bubble and watch the installed drivers for a COM port number. You need to remember this. If nothing comes up or these drivers were already installed earlier(they probably get installed along the rooting process), check your device manager in your computer and check the ports section for HTC diag and remember the COM number, remember it as it is your phone.

In CDMA WS, select your com port and then choose connect. On the bottom left it should said connected successfully, now press read and you should see it read your phone. Click on the Security tab and then under the section that says SPC/User Lock make sure its on the default setting and click read. Write this 6 digit number down, this is your MSL.

Now open QPST Configuration. Find your com port number and on the side it should say “surf” along with some numbers. If it is not there, choose add new port and make sure the box about usb/qc is unchecked. If your port is there double click and continue on. If it is still not there, try typing your port manually on the right side eg: “COM4” if your port is number 4, chances are it wont be. Once its on the list in QPST Configuration, click it to select it, then click “Start Clients” and choose “Service Programming”. You should get a pop up that shows your phone as “surf” select it and click read from phone. It will ask for your code, type in that 6 digit code.

Part 3: Setting up WEB and GPS

1.Now that you are connected to QPST and your phone's info is read, make your way to the tab that says M.IP.
    2.change the Mobile IP Behavior to “Simple Only”
    3.In the box above, you should see a couple of profiles, choose the first one and press edit.
    4.Change the NAI and Tethered NAI to “your10digit#@mymetropcs.com” put your actual number in there.
    5.the home address primary ha and secondary ha should be all “0” zeros, leave everything else as is
    6.click “ok” then Make sure active user is set to 0
    7.Move to the tab PPP Config and click on the little tab thats called “Um”
    8.Change the user ID to “your10digit#@mymetropcs.com” and do the same in the little “Am” tab
    9. Ok that takes care of this tab now move to the big tab called “GPSone”
    10. Make sure all the boxes are checked.
    11. PDE IP Address 198.17.1.0
    12. PDE Port 3425
    13. PDE Transport IP
    14.Position Calculation PDE

Now You are all done with QPST, click “Write to Phone” and ignore any errors. Disconnect your phone and Then pull up the “Voice Dialer” and say “Open Proxy Settings” it should allow you to press on what you just said. Once opened it shows Host name and port.
    1.Host name= proxy.metropcs.net
    2.Port = 3128
    Press save and then thats done...WEB/GPS is now a go

PART 4: MMS/APPS

Now that you are this far you are about 2 files from being done. First off download “Autostart” (it has a “B” in the logo)from the market. Then download the metro zip file located here http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...and-MMS/page19 on “post 273”. Place the zip in the root of your card and flash it from your recovery. Once its done, reboot your phone and wait for a SuperUser permission to come up, press “Always Allow” and after that, everything should be set and ready to go...ENJOY!!!!

Again I take no credit in anything, thank all the guys in the links and the guys that they thanked...i just documented the steps i took...
    im just trying to be UNFORGETTABLE

Device(s)
    htc touch pro 2 full internet mms and gps wm-6.5
    Carrier(s)
    metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    great walk through worked well for me thanks

Device(s)
    BlackBerry
    Carrier(s)
    Metro Pcs
    Feedback Score
    i downloaded the DamageControl v.1. and my htc woudlnt even start up Android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly did i download the wrong one cause i followed what you wrote

nevermind i had to wipe data

Device(s)
    BlackBerry
    Carrier(s)
    Metro Pcs
    Feedback Score
    Thanks man great tutorial

Feedback Score

New HTC Hero on metro

Can anyone offer any updates to the current walkthrough? I'm pretty sure i followed it correctly, but i still cant seem to get it working. I have a Hero with working talk and text only, please help i will pay via paypal.

Feedback Score
    I got some error messages after following the tutorial exactly, but my phone was not freshly flahsed and some of the settings may have been different, so instead of saying leave all other settings the same, which is not going to work for everyone, how about a list or picture of all the settings that worked for you, so the rest of us don't have to guess at it.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry
    Carrier(s)
    Metro Pcs
    Feedback Score
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hxf0d2lw57649cn this should help you out i made it so

Feedback Score
    Hey I know this is an old post but I am having a problem with the com port. When I plug the hero into the pc (windows 7 ultimate) it shows up in device manager but there is no com port. Any help with this PLEASE Thanks In advance guys!

Feedback Score
    any one got a solutions to not seeing the com port? with windows 7 just shows android device?

Device(s)
    HTC Evo [Afflicted Evo 2.3.3]
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    did you put the phone into diag mode? and do you have the correct drivers?
    Code Name: L0GiC4L 3ViL
    Quote: "Make love not war... Contribute dont leech.My insane logic gets the job done..."
    Latest Exploits:
    evo full flash (yes mms works), samsung intercept web (ask around), moto droid full flash
    Next Hijack: AFFLICTION ROM

11/4 3000th post

Feedback Score
    yes ##3424 send with rom loaded phone in diag mode, I can see the phone located in the device manager so I would assume the correct drivers are installed? When the drivers installed the first time i plugged the phone in it said nothing about a port. Also when I open device manager it just says Android usb devices, I then click to open the items in that section and it says My HTC. I really appreciate your help. If we can get this done I will be more than willing to make a contribution to you or the community if it is possible. THanks In Advance

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    and you have usb debbugging on and all that?

Feedback Score
    ok did not have debugging on, but now it does not show up in device manager at all? Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by livinlifes2shor View Post
    ok did not have debugging on, but now it does not show up in device manager at all? Thanks
    did you put it into diag after you did that?

Feedback Score
    yep, found that the diag drivers I have may not be working as I am using windows 7 64bit. I cant seem to find the drivers for my version could you help in this area? Thanks for the help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast