Thread: Huawei U8100, Not All Market Apps. Visible

Feedback Score

Huawei U8100, Not All Market Apps. Visible

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend just got the Huawei U8100. It's a nice little phone but some of apps in the market don't show up on it (for example 'Quick Settings'). I've searched around and this seems to be a known issue that supposedly has been resolved. See:
    http://android-developers.blogspot.c...ty-issues.html

Except it's still happening on her phone. Is anyone having the same problem? Anyone know a fix?

Thanks

Device(s)
    Android Dev Phone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Not all apps support all phones. For example, there are many games and media apps (not to mention the Flash 10.1 plugin) that only works on ARMv7 phones.

You would have to ask the individual app developers why their apps aren't showing up for your phone.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j0no View Post
    Not all apps support all phones. For example, there are many games and media apps (not to mention the Flash 10.1 plugin) that only works on ARMv7 phones.

You would have to ask the individual app developers why their apps aren't showing up for your phone.
    Android Market filters simply do not work. I had a long discussion with Chris Tate, a member of the Android team at Google, about this very issue. For example, when I first put Coverage Mapper in the Market, I set it to only show up on devices with GSM-based radios. However, this caused it to not show up on some devices with GSM-based radios, and it didn't prevent it from showing up on some CDMA-based devices on Verizon. What I ended up doing was removing all my filters, so it would show up for all devices. It causes some issues (such as reviews along the lines of "sux doesnt support cdma"), but at least it's available for everyone.

Manufacturers (or rather, whomever creates the ROM for your device) have to specify a list of supported features on the device. One of these features could be "android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" (for hardware multitouch support). If an application says it requires multitouch, and a device does not tell the Market app it supports that feature (regardless of whether it does), it will not see the app.

It seems it's the manufacturers that are dropping the ball here, but it's even worse with all the custom ROMs out there (although I know CyanogenMod is very good in this regard).
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the insight, Canadiancow.

I don't suppose there is an easy way around this problem. Right now the best way I can think of is to download apps to my phone, then extract the .apk with adb and transfer it over to her phone.

I read somewhere that google has to add each new device's "fingerprint" to their database before you are able to see protected apps on Marketplace. Since the U8100 is a fairly new phone, I wonder if it's not yet being recognized by Marketplace.

Carrier(s)
    wind
    Feedback Score
    I've complained about this before.

It's not just the CPU, but the low QVGA screen res. There is a way to root the thing, to make it fake a higher resolution, so more apps become visible. But I haven't tried it, I don't want to risk bricking mine.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomecki View Post
    I read somewhere that google has to add each new device's "fingerprint" to their database before you are able to see protected apps on Marketplace. Since the U8100 is a fairly new phone, I wonder if it's not yet being recognized by Marketplace.
    I've only heard about that fingerprint on hofo. That definitely doesn't mean it's not a fact, but I'm fairly involved with Android, so I would have expected to hear about it elsewhere if it were causing these issues. It was never even mentioned when I was discussing my problems with the Android team, so I have my doubts that it's actually an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by roman1290 View Post
    I've complained about this before.

It's not just the CPU, but the low QVGA screen res. There is a way to root the thing, to make it fake a higher resolution, so more apps become visible. But I haven't tried it, I don't want to risk bricking mine.
    Once your device is rooted, it's actually quite simple to make it fake anything you want (you just have to drop a few XML files in /etc/permissions). However, this can cause problems. While some developers may have said they need a touchscreen, when they really don't, there will be a lot of apps that say they need GPS, that really need GPS. If you (accidentally or intentionally) modify your phone to make it announce it has a feature that it really doesn't, you could experience app crashes in any apps that need the feature.

Feedback Score
    I managed to pull the .apk off my phone and install it on hers using Onymous App Installer, which is visible on Marketplace (AppsInstaller is not). 'Quick Settings' seems to work fine. I haven't tried any other apps.

Anybody know a way to download .apk files directly from the marketplace? Not having to use a second phone would help a lot of other U8100 owners get the apps they want.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomecki View Post
    Anybody know a way to download .apk files directly from the marketplace? Not having to use a second phone would help a lot of other U8100 owners get the apps they want.
    It's not really possible. You need some kind of client that supports the Market protocols.

Feedback Score
    There is a way to get around the marketplace "filters". You can either install a custom rom, or you can follow this guide (I've used this before with my 8100)

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-...sing-appbrain/

For those that know how to root/flash firmwares, here's what I'm using with my u8100 (It works fine, just make sure to create a recovery image so that you can restore it back to what you have now)

http://android.modaco.com/content/t-...4-for-testing/

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tip. Never thought that installing WeatherEye on u8100 could be such a hassle.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    While I'm a little knowledgeable about Rooting and the whole process with Android. I didn't think I would have to go through all this to get functionality out of the device but, it should have been expected for a low end device.... even though it kinda burns that it has 2.1 and still can't get access to certain apps. Next time though, going with a well known device that won't be restriced, Desire Z, here I come.
    Phone History

Device(s)
    HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility on unlimited data
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qdhd99 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Never thought that installing WeatherEye on u8100 could be such a hassle.
    yeah same problem here, believe it or not, I have to use my bell htc touch, boot into android, download the apps onto the sdcard and then put that sdcard into the U8000 to install, VERY STUPID ...

Feedback Score
    Wish we did not have to do it (Google is largely to be blamed), but for a $140 Andriod phone, it worth the extra efforts. Even for those high-end phones, AppBrian is well worth of being looked into - you could search apps and install them directly (faster) from AppBrain's website.

Feedback Score
    Just FYI, there is a comment on the following page (by Asolomia, search for "copy-protected") that points out that the U8100 firmware is not "authorized" by Google:
    http://www.windmobile.ca/community/W...i-u8100/?cp=10

For whatever that's worth.