Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Chance for Very Small Cars in the US?

Feedback Score

Any Chance for Very Small Cars in the US?

You can see these days a few small cars (like the Yaris) but still the Americans don't really like them.
    Because of the financial/oil crisis and the global warming, it seems like we do see more and more smaller cars, still the Americans look at them in a funny way, not like in Europe!
    I just got back from Europe a few days ago, Manual small cars like the Smart, the Toyota Aygo or the Suzuki Alto are really popular, this makes me ask myself why this isn't the way it is in the States. I mean it will be so much smarter from so many reasons, what do you think? are we getting there?
    Is there a chance to see in the next few years Mr Bob driving a Manual 12 feet car?
    www.TravelToForum.com
    World Travel Community

Book Flights, Hotels, Cruises

Device(s)
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In Europe they have much more relaxed emissions standards. A smart car gets much better gas mileage in the EU than the car in America. Also, to help meet emissions, more equipment is required, making these small cars more expensive for the American market. These two factors, combined with the love American people have for big cars, prevents a lot of these smaller cars from coming here.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Device(s)
    W595, XPERIA Arc
    Carrier(s)
    STC
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't have to be American, but you can buy a Fiesta or something else if you can not afford a VW or a Mini. Why don't you take a look at the Fiat 500? They have been trying to promote it in the US for a while as far as I know.

No one would call you a pizza delivery boy if you had one of these. Unlike the Alto or the Swift lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get a Mazda2 or Fiesta. The Smart car is a horrible "car" and that's why its not popular here.
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    You don't have to drive as far in Europe like we do here. You can but try taking a Yaris on a road trip across country. Can it be done? of course. would it be a comfortable drive? eh, not really. Plus, you have different laws for getting your license there and gas prices are much higher. i don't mind small cars for city driving but would need somethinglarger and more comfortable for the long haul

Feedback Score
    You are right, this is the way it is. I just think that it would make sense to change it a bit.
    Obviously I wouldn't drive from New York to La in the Yaris (But I wouldn't do that in my Camry too )

This same Yaris would make more sense in Manhattan than the Buick Lacrosse or the Ford edge or any other large car.
    The gas prices issue is true, we thought that the prices increased here, but in Europe its more or less double than here.

So unless the gas price will be doubled, there's no chance huh?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't think anyone should be traveling across the country in a Toyota, especially a Yaris for that matter. Toyota makes all of their vehicles safe enough to pass crash test standards.

The Yaris against the Camry fared the WORST in a small vs mid-size crash test. You can see the a-pillar's weakness in the IIHS offset crash, and you can see it crumble in this test.. same goes for the Camry.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Fiat F500 is coming out soon. That's a VERY small car....
    iPhone XS Max | OnePlus 6
    www.blueearlbrewing.com

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by igal View Post
    This same Yaris would make more sense in Manhattan than the Buick Lacrosse or the Ford edge or any other large car.
    I have actually been seeing a lot of Smart cars in my neighborhood Chicago.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by igal View Post
    You are right, this is the way it is. I just think that it would make sense to change it a bit.
    Obviously I wouldn't drive from New York to La in the Yaris (But I wouldn't do that in my Camry too )

The gas prices issue is true, we thought that the prices increased here, but in Europe its more or less double than here.

So unless the gas price will be doubled, there's no chance huh?
    Gas prices is one thing and mentallity another. That and culture here is so much different. Most of our roads were buitl after WW2 so we have large roads, even in cities, but in Europe, you still have cities that have ancient roads and haven't been expanded. Wouldn't really make sense to have so many large vehicles there. Was in Poland this past summer and the parking and traffic situation is really bad in major cities there.

Plus if Americans keep growing the way they do, I'm sure no more than two will fit into even midsize cars

Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Not to mention we have a large part of of the population that lives in very rural areas. Try driving one of those cars on gravel roads and they wont hold up long. Not to mention around here a trip to the grocery store is a 45min drive one way. Add to that lots of snow and salt in the winters and you can forget about one of those cars even coming close to being practical. My daily driver beater is a 2000 Neon and it barely gets the job done in the winter and the gravel roads have really run it through the ringer. Anything smaller with less ground clearance would be dead in the water.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    for kei cars coming to us is unlikely, especially with lots of road rage drivers and americans wanting bigger. ud most likely start seeing biodiesel, hybrid, flexfuel SUV/sedans instead

Device(s)
    The New Hotness
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Small cars are not for everyone.

I'm a big guy (6'1 - 220lbs) and I would never buy one of these mouse trap cars.

The smallest car I'd ever consider is something like a Acura TSX, Ford Mustang, or Toyota Corolla. I refuse to be shoehorned into some tiny econo-box.

But thats just me.
    Internet talk is cheap.

Man up, Show up, or Shut the @#$! up.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snap315 View Post

I'm a big guy (6'1 - 220lbs) and I would never buy one of these mouse trap cars.

The smallest car I'd ever consider is something like a Acura TSX, Ford Mustang, or Toyota Corolla. I refuse to be shoehorned into some tiny econo-box.

But thats just me.
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'3", about 300 lbs., and while I drive an '04 Civic right now, I can't fit into anything any smaller. Seriously, there is no way I would strap my four year old son in one. No way!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snap315 View Post

But thats just me.
    Have you ever tried to drive a tiny car? I drove a smart fortwo and fit pretty well. Not a lot of room for stuff, but the car fits most people well. I am 6'4" and like 200 pounds, so not very small. I fit better in the smart than an Acura TL, I always though a TL had a really cramped interior.

That being said, I probably would never buy one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast