Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any Chance for Very Small Cars in the US?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Toyota Corolla is no better than these tin cans.. a Toyota is built to withstand requirements and not much else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GKCAQCcdEA

The Camry got an Acceptable which is pathetic considering the other car is a YARIS.. notice how the A-Pillar on the Camry is also starting to give. The Yaris does the same in the frontal offset test. It's a sign that the cabin could be compromised at a higher speed or against a bigger car (the Camry, some 400 or so pounds heavier)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_MQC...eature=related

Even the Honda Fit did better against the behemoth Accord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaBuy...eature=related
    Bye!

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snap315 View Post
    Small cars are not for everyone.

I'm a big guy (6'1 - 220lbs) and I would never buy one of these mouse trap cars.

The smallest car I'd ever consider is something like a Acura TSX, Ford Mustang, or Toyota Corolla. I refuse to be shoehorned into some tiny econo-box.

But thats just me.
    6'3" and 175ish and i wouldn't mind it. was in Poland a few years back and traveled in a two door yaris with my cousin who was same hieght and other cousin who is 5'10" and no issues. plus luggage and all. currently have a 91 sidekick as a beater and fine. although the M comes out when it's time to go further than around town or to the train station. gearing is terrible for highway

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    well cars like kia soul look small but theyre roomy inside. but also safety is an issue in smaller cars for ppl thats why if small cars where to become the thing in US it should start somewhat of being forced to get them soo more cars are small cuz we all know an suv hitting a small car isnt good. thats why things like these have to be somewat forced. or at least sold soo cheap that ppl would rather buy it over other bigger cars

Device(s)
    The New Hotness
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jokicha View Post
    well cars like kia soul look small but theyre roomy inside. but also safety is an issue in smaller cars for ppl thats why if small cars where to become the thing in US it should start somewhat of being forced to get them soo more cars are small cuz we all know an suv hitting a small car isnt good. thats why things like these have to be somewat forced. or at least sold soo cheap that ppl would rather buy it over other bigger cars
    Well that might work in Europe but not here in the United States!

We have this little thing called the Constitution which prevents tyranical things lilike that from happening. No one would be "forced" to give up their legally owned property (vehicles) to force everyone to drive a tiny car. If you can't make a tiny car safe enough to drive with other vehicles on the road, then it should not be sold.

And I remember the last time I drove a small car. It was horrible in every sense. There was a significant lack of room and even worse, it transmitted every little bump on the road it hit. Driving the car at the flow of traffic speed (which is about 65-70MPH) produced a near deafening noise because of the poor sound insulation and vibrations from the road.

I'm not rich enough to have multiple vehicles so the ONE I own has to be able to do everything I need. That means it can get me to work or get me to the whichever other destination I choose (from NYC to Las Vegas if necessary).
    Internet talk is cheap.

Man up, Show up, or Shut the @#$! up.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snap315 View Post
    Well that might work in Europe but not here in the United States!

We have this little thing called the Constitution which prevents tyranical things lilike that from happening. No one would be "forced" to give up their legally owned property (vehicles) to force everyone to drive a tiny car. If you can't make a tiny car safe enough to drive with other vehicles on the road, then it should not be sold.

And I remember the last time I drove a small car. It was horrible in every sense. There was a significant lack of room and even worse, it transmitted every little bump on the road it hit. Driving the car at the flow of traffic speed (which is about 65-70MPH) produced a near deafening noise because of the poor sound insulation and vibrations from the road.

I'm not rich enough to have multiple vehicles so the ONE I own has to be able to do everything I need. That means it can get me to work or get me to the whichever other destination I choose (from NYC to Las Vegas if necessary).
    While they can't just tell you like that, there are ways to push people to smaller cars in terms of tax on gas. when was the last time you drove a small car? most of the ones now, while still slow, are much nicer than they were a while back. I've done cross country drives in a 96 Sentra and with what they have now, there's no really issue.

anyways, the issue isn't really about small cars in the end, it's about fuel economy while getting all the toys. You can downsize all the engines in midsize sedans, which are pretty fuel effecient as it is. personally, i'd just go with a diesel engined car. yes gas is pricier at the pump but if you break the cost down to cents per mile, it's a large difference plus you get a lot of usable power downlow, no worries about batteries, and a more reliable engine.

Device(s)
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post
    While they can't just tell you like that, there are ways to push people to smaller cars in terms of tax on gas. when was the last time you drove a small car? most of the ones now, while still slow, are much nicer than they were a while back. I've done cross country drives in a 96 Sentra and with what they have now, there's no really issue.

anyways, the issue isn't really about small cars in the end, it's about fuel economy while getting all the toys. You can downsize all the engines in midsize sedans, which are pretty fuel effecient as it is. personally, i'd just go with a diesel engined car. yes gas is pricier at the pump but if you break the cost down to cents per mile, it's a large difference plus you get a lot of usable power downlow, no worries about batteries, and a more reliable engine.
    I have driven a BMW 335d, it was a lot more fun than I expected for a diesel.
    Seems like it is cool to have these in your sig?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrsn1 View Post
    I have driven a BMW 335d, it was a lot more fun than I expected for a diesel.
    wish i could afford one. would defintely get it, with a long warranty of course

Device(s)
    Motorola Atrix HD Maxx / iPhone 5 (backup)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post
    wish i could afford one. would defintely get it, with a long warranty of course
    I am driving an out-of-warranty 545i now, thankfully I found a local shop that does good work.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrsn1 View Post
    I am driving an out-of-warranty 545i now, thankfully I found a local shop that does good work.
    nice, that's the way to go really. Always wanted to see how the 545i compared to the M45 on some nice back roads.

Feedback Score
    Guys the Acura TSX is a huge car in Europe (they call it Honda Accord), while it is quite small here.
    I actually expected exactly what most of you said

I believe that if the gas prices will go up by %200-300, things will change. I prefer to drive a big car as well outside the city. I just can't understand why you need a hammer h3, a Lexus ls or even a Camry to drive in Manhattan or downtown Chicago.
    www.TravelToForum.com
    World Travel Community

Book Flights, Hotels, Cruises

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by igal View Post
    I just can't understand why you need a hammer h3, a Lexus ls or even a Camry to drive in Manhattan or downtown Chicago.
    depends on the people. some buy it to show their position in life and others buy an all-around car. Camry is fine for downtown driving, esp if you have a family

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Camry is garbage. A Mazda 3 is suited to driving "downtown" and so is a Mazda6 all while being far better than their Toyota counterparts.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Torch 9850
    Carrier(s)
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rihana8788 View Post
    Trends keep on changing from time to time. The trends of cars will also change one day. Small cars will exactly run on the roads of America.
    That depends on where you live, small cars dont work well in the midwest, especially with the heavy snows and dirt roads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2