Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Thread: Nokia E7

Device(s)
    x6, nokia e71, nexus one
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    sigh. what's the deal with nokia? saw the e7 and saw 4" screen and was like wowzers!! then i saw it was amoled which is terrible in sunlight. i mean terrible. and only 1200mah battery? non-removable? 4" screen and only 1200mah? wtf nokia? i mean... WTF NOKIA? mehopes the n9 has something redeeming about it. i like the keyboards alot. and i say that with confidence just looking at pictures. sigh. i got so excited today because i went back to my e71 because the nexus one is piss poor in sunlight and i just realized i don't use my phone as much anymore and making calls is a chore sometimes. i've used my e71 more today than i've used my nexus one in the last two weeks. and i used it in the sun... several times. heh.
    i really hope the clearblack does something for the amoled's poor performance in sunlight. and i really hope nokia does some tweaking with specs. honestly, even though i really don't care, a 4" screen SHOULD have a higher resolution. 3.5" should be fine with the 6x3 resolution. c'mon nokia. surprise us.
    my phone can't do what your phone can don't.
    how can you start if you forget to begin?

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Solo HSPA+
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just jump into conclusion too quickly, new amoled screens can also do well in sunlight. Engadget says it uses some kind of polarized filter or something.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_K View Post
    I agree about the hardware, but the three mini hands on reviews I read/saw (Engadget, IntoMobile and Techradar.uk) showed that Symbian's touch OS is still laggy and has issues.

Symbian on the C6 was even more brutal; in the Engadget video, the user had to swipe three times for the screen to respond. For the company's yearly big product show case, that's unforgivable. If I were in charge, people would be getting fired for that.

After the experiences many here have had with the both versions of the N97, I'm surprised so many are ready to take the leap and get one of these devices, before the full on reviews with final software hit all the tech sites.

Only lag I saw was when opening up Photos.

Device(s)
    950XL
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (cell), Fido (data)
    Feedback Score
    I want just for the better screen on my n97mini! Can't see anything during the summer! Especially driving around mounted with GPS on! But then pukemon goes and says it's crap in the sun... so I dunno.
    Microsoft Lumia 950XL Dual Sim
    Rogers talk text only, Fido 3gb/$15 tab plan

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    OK guys, great posts. My big questions are:

1. How is the web browser? Fast? Memory leak issue?
    2. How is the new Mail-for-Exchange?
    3. What office productivity software/app are included?
    4. How are the new PIM functions? Do we still need Handy Calendar?
    5. How is the keyboard (compare it with Blackberry 9700)?
    etc.

Also, what are the major differences between E7 and N8 (except the addtion of a keyboiard in E7)?

So, when will it be available?

Thanks everyone for great coverage. It reminds me the old hay days of this forum. Great job!

Any word from SymbianGuru, Jonty, BostonGirl (?) and many other old experts who left Symbian/Nokia?

Tintin
    Feedbacks:

My HoFo Feedback (100% Positive, No Neutral, No Negative)

My eBay Feedback (100% Positive, No Neutral, No Negative)

Note: I am not a professional seller. So, my feedbacks are infrequent.

Feedback Score
    NOBODY who write about it, has a final firmware N8. Nobody. The devices given to DEVELOPERS were not final public release firmware. The device that were being showcased and used for demo's were not completely stable public release firmware. If you have an N8, today, and you're not on the developer team for the Nokia N8 - it's not final public release firmware. The damn Product Manager didn't have one when I had a Q&A with him.

Oh, the video you saw by Engadget shows a Nokia device in a bad-light? Who would have thunk it?

Browser looks the same, new engine.
    Memory leaks? We're not going to see that even with a full 2 day hands-on time. Ever wonder how easy it is to get 6-hour access to a prototype device...when it's tethered to a blonde girls hip?
    I'm not syncing my account with M4E on a demo device. Nobody else is going to, and it might not even be functional as the software is pre-production.
    Microsoft and Nokia have collab'd on Office suit. Supported completely, from what I saw.

Available in SELECT markets Q4, before Dec 23rd.
    Winner of 3rd Annual HoFies Award.
    Gold Medal for 'Most helpful S60 Hofo'er'
    Bronze Medal for 'Funniest S60 Hofo'er'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks View Post
    NOBODY who write about it, has a final firmware N8. Nobody. The devices given to DEVELOPERS were not final public release firmware. The device that were being showcased and used for demo's were not completely stable public release firmware. If you have an N8, today, and you're not on the developer team for the Nokia N8 - it's not final public release firmware. The damn Product Manager didn't have one when I had a Q&A with him.

Oh, the video you saw by Engadget shows a Nokia device in a bad-light? Who would have thunk it?

Browser looks the same, new engine.
    Memory leaks? We're not going to see that even with a full 2 day hands-on time. Ever wonder how easy it is to get 6-hour access to a prototype device...when it's tethered to a blonde girls hip?
    I'm not syncing my account with M4E on a demo device. Nobody else is going to, and it might not even be functional as the software is pre-production.
    Microsoft and Nokia have collab'd on Office suit. Supported completely, from what I saw.

Available in SELECT markets Q4, before Dec 23rd.
    So this thing actually has office with full editing on it? What was the interface like? There's no chance of having onenote on a device like this, right?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liknsmak View Post
    So this thing actually has office with full editing on it? What was the interface like? There's no chance of having onenote on a device like this, right?
    E-series always has full editing version for office docs. What's OneNote?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonesh View Post
    Another MS office app similar to microsoft word except that it's more oriented to storing information with virtual notebooks/pages, supports multiple users collaborating on a page/notebook over the internet and it has pretty extensive tablet support. Its really handy for my engineering classes as I can draw diagrams in addition to typing stuff out. Obviously wouldn't expect the sharing aspect to be really usable on a mobile device right now but with screens starting to push the 4+ inch barrier, a device like this with a keyboard and a touchscreen would be pretty killer in terms of notetaking provided the interface was quick and userfriendly.

I usually take notes on paper but the day an app like that comes out for a mobile phone, I'd love to try it out.

I'm just curious as to how much more functional microsoft's app is in comparison to quickoffice.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pukemon View Post
    sigh. what's the deal with nokia? saw the e7 and saw 4" screen and was like wowzers!! then i saw it was amoled which is terrible in sunlight. i mean terrible. and only 1200mah battery? non-removable? 4" screen and only 1200mah? wtf nokia? i mean... WTF NOKIA? mehopes the n9 has something redeeming about it. i like the keyboards alot. and i say that with confidence just looking at pictures. sigh. i got so excited today because i went back to my e71 because the nexus one is piss poor in sunlight and i just realized i don't use my phone as much anymore and making calls is a chore sometimes. i've used my e71 more today than i've used my nexus one in the last two weeks. and i used it in the sun... several times. heh.
    i really hope the clearblack does something for the amoled's poor performance in sunlight. and i really hope nokia does some tweaking with specs. honestly, even though i really don't care, a 4" screen SHOULD have a higher resolution. 3.5" should be fine with the 6x3 resolution. c'mon nokia. surprise us.

You can always pick the C7 instead.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Device(s)
    x6, nokia e71, nexus one
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    supposedly super amoled screens do better in sunlight. no mention of these being super amoled. and i'm not impressed with amoled. i have anti glare screen protectors on my nexus one and it is still omg horrible in the sun. i don't think a polarized filter will do much. more than likely the filter will still make part of the screen unusable.

Device(s)
    x6, nokia e71, nexus one
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    chances are i would pick an n, e and possibly an x device.

Device(s)
    Nexus One & iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_K View Post
    Which is why I think hiring the Palm software UX guy is a big step in the right direction. Now I'm way more interested in Meego.
    I think by hiring Peter Skillman, Nokia is saying that they are serious about UX for Meego. I figure it will take anywhere from 6-12 months (maybe even longer) for his influence to be felt on the Meego designs, so we'll have to wait and see.

Outside of the actual UX and hardware design of handsets, I can only hope he brings a cohesive UX to the disaster that is OVI. I mean...does anyone really want to use OVI with Meego? Just sayin.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twofaze View Post
    seriously....
    people really pay attention to the resolution of a cell phone screen...??
    Lets see ....
    * those that work with PC/Mac's all day,
    * content providers that submit documentation (target market for E7)
    * users that view & record 720p video
    * those that read Maps while travelling, reading eBooks (format agnostic)
    * those that will use the browser - I'd say 50% of USA users, 80% EuroAsia users us the browser of their choice of smartphones at LEAST 2hr/day.
    * those older users with mad $$ to spend on devices + contracts with less than 20/20 vision ...

I'd say a resounding YES!
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I look forward to your review; currently are you still using the E71?
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks View Post
    LMAO ... so there is a use for hot-blondes during the day besides looks, butterfly smiles and whatever goes on behind closed doors, sheets, etc. LMAO dude if only they could use the effect of a hottie's built-in gyro's (hips while they strut) to power a smartphone - like Sieko Kinetic drive then us guys would have to have honey's carry our smartphones

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonesh View Post
    For shame! I'm surprised you had to ask ... but if you get the chance, ask a university student with a laptop or tablet PC to show you just how powerful this add-on to the Office Student suit does ... its amazing.

E7 design is VERY nice, and with Nokia Maps refinements and features ...many of you will be VERY VERY happy.

Looks like Nokia is learning to use their API's for internal and 3rd party apps a LOT better with S^3; which is a good sign.
    I'm VERY curious how good this keyboard will be vs 9700!!

PS: Oddsocks, no irda slot so many of your toys will need to upgrade to BT or some form of low-band FM transmission.

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast