Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: WIND is Changing Their Hardware Warranty Program

Feedback Score

WIND is Changing Their Hardware Warranty Program

In stores, starting on the 27th, if you want your 12 months of warranty you need to take it up with the manufacturer directly.

If you want to continue with an in-store immediate swap, they will replace it with a refurb, shortening your warranty down to only 90 days from swap.

Buyer Beware.

Device(s)
    iPh 4, iPh 6+, Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 :-)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido,... Wind
    Feedback Score
    Interesting stuff happening at Wind eh? Phones no longer sold near cost and now this.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    In BC there's a Sale of Goods act that states the seller takes care of warranty issues, not the manufacturer. I'm not sure if other provinces have this act too. Most retail stores tell you to go direct to the manufacturer, but if you persist and mention the Act, they usually take care of it for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by selfy View Post
    In BC there's a Sale of Goods act that states the seller takes care of warranty issues, not the manufacturer. I'm not sure if other provinces have this act too. Most retail stores tell you to go direct to the manufacturer, but if you persist and mention the Act, they usually take care of it for you.
    then I hope WIND in BC doesn't get away with this. I think anyone who's ever had to deal with a manufacturer warranty knows it's next to impossible to resolve a situation.

Feedback Score
    Hate saying this, but Wind is looking more and more like the Big 3 every day...

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I think Fido still takes care of their own repairs in BC. I took my phone to a kiosk for warranty repair and they sent it off to the repair centre. I had it back in about a week.

Here's a post on the Canadian Bar Association website that summarises the implied terms of sale when you purchase goods.

http://www.cba.org/bc/public_media/credit/257.aspx

Feedback Score
    In my opinion, this will result in many lost customers for Wind. Without some type of loaner program (even for a small fee), sending a phone off to the manufacturer will often result in the cusotmer needing to buy another phone to use in the meanwhile. If a customer has to buy a new phone because of a defective one from Wind, some of those cusotmers will sign up to a different cell phone company in spite, even if the defect is the fault of the manufacturer. Some of those same customers will even go back to Rogers, Bell, or Telus to get a discounted contract phone because they have already spent funds on the broken Wind one and won't want to front even more money on a new phone. Even after the repaired Wind phone is returned to the customer, that person will be stuck with the choice of keeping a second phone that they don't need or selling it off at a loss.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by computergeek541 View Post
    In my opinion, this will result in many lost customers for Wind. Without some type of loaner program (even for a small fee), sending a phone off to the manufacturer will often result in the cusotmer needing to buy another phone to use in the meanwhile. If a customer has to buy a new phone because of a defective one from Wind, some of those cusotmers will sign up to a different cell phone company in spite, even if the defect is the fault of the manufacturer. Some of those same customers will even go back to Rogers, Bell, or Telus to get a discounted contract phone because they have already spent funds on the broken Wind one and won't want to front even more money on a new phone. Even after the repaired Wind phone is returned to the customer, that person will be stuck with the choice of keeping a second phone that they don't need or selling it off at a loss.
    I didn't even look at it that way yet. you're probably right, not only is the process lengthy through manufacturer, but what the **** is anyone to do when their phone is away? This is a horrible position WIND will be putting their customers in. Either they force them on a lightly loved, to ensure the warranty is ended sooner, or they sell more handsets. All in all, they are leaving only one or 2 options on their consumer and that is to buy their own phone, again and again.

I think 3rd party unlocked phone whole-salers should see opportunity here and hope some increased business and revenue can be had for the slack WIND has.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iHype View Post
    In stores, starting on the 27th, if you want your 12 months of warranty you need to take it up with the manufacturer directly.

If you want to continue with an in-store immediate swap, they will replace it with a refurb, shortening your warranty down to only 90 days from swap.

Buyer Beware.
    Not that it concerns me, just out of curiosity, if someone had purchased a phone from wind before the 27th, would they have a grandfathered in-store immediate swap warranty or does their warranty switch to the one you mentioned?
    Irresistible $35
    • Unlimited Data + Tethering
    • Unlimited Canada/US Calling
    • Unlimited Global Text
    • Unlimited Canada/US MMS
    • Call Display + Voicemail

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lol, good luck making it to year 3 Wind.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by darylscool View Post
    Not that it concerns me, just out of curiosity, if someone had purchased a phone from wind before the 27th, would they have a grandfathered in-store immediate swap warranty or does their warranty switch to the one you mentioned?
    The internal statement states this is new policy and it enforces the vague one before it. It immediately affects all purchases before and after as apparently this is outlined in the warranty booklet that came with all phones. Go figure. The reps who explained how warranty worked before were all trained to think that but now wind looms like they pulled a bait and switch with our service expectations. Scary huh.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm fine with the 90 day for direct swap part, but no loaner phone if you have to send it back? That's scary. Hopefully they'll implement something to rectify that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by popk View Post
    I'm fine with the 90 day for direct swap part, but no loaner phone if you have to send it back? That's scary. Hopefully they'll implement something to rectify that.
    Really?

Up until now, because they didn't have a repair program, they would replace your BB, Huawei, Samsung, anything for another phone any time, and it was entitled to you for 1 year.

Now it's a choice. Send it back through manufacturer terms, or swap for a WIND sanctioned Refurb (which I can confirm are going to be any phone returned with-in the 2 weeks or under 30 minute policy.) And if you choose that, your warranty is cut severely, especially if you have the misfortune of having a lemon... which happens a lot with huaweis in general, which are WIND's majority handsets out there.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iHype View Post
    then I hope WIND in BC doesn't get away with this. I think anyone who's ever had to deal with a manufacturer warranty knows it's next to impossible to resolve a situation.
    I've only ever had an issue with JVC. That being said, I no longer buy any JVC products.

But I've had plenty of good experiences with manufacturer warranties. Logitech, D-Link, and Kingston come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by selfy View Post
    I think Fido still takes care of their own repairs in BC. I took my phone to a kiosk for warranty repair and they sent it off to the repair centre. I had it back in about a week.

Here's a post on the Canadian Bar Association website that summarises the implied terms of sale when you purchase goods.

http://www.cba.org/bc/public_media/credit/257.aspx
    One thing I noticed there, although a little off topic is this: "Second, the goods must be reasonably fit for their purpose...Further, this condition only applies if you explained to the seller how you planned to use the goods and also explained that you were relying on his or her skill and judgment"

I seem to recall my mother buying a computer. She told the sales rep she needed to do word processing, check her email, and surf the internet. Sometimes even all at the same time. They recommended something other than the cheapest computer they had.
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
    I've only ever had an issue with JVC. That being said, I no longer buy any JVC products.

But I've had plenty of good experiences with manufacturer warranties. Logitech, D-Link, and Kingston come to mind.
    Which Logitech, D-Link and Kingston cellphones have you had?

You'll see buddy, but because you're a cool poster with a wealth of information, I sincerely hope that you don't have to endure that crap from Samsung, LG, Nokia, or RIM. I don't even think RIM will handle your request at all, they put all ownership on the carriers iirc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast