Thread: Does a new phone really need the new SIM?

Feedback Score

Does a new phone really need the new SIM?

Last year AT&T replaced the SIM card in my Treo because of mysterious network connect failures, so I've got a "recent" SIM.

This week I got a new Captivate, as an upgrade, and it came with a new SIM that pretty much looks just like the old SIM to me. I haven't decided whether to keep the Captivate yet and I'm wondering if using the new SIM card will somehow bewitch my account. For instance, I'm on the old "pay as you go" data plan. Will the new SIM card try to force a change to that? Will it screw up my service if I send back the Captivate and go back to the old phone, i.e. needing activation and reactivation and more chances for AT&T to screw something up?

Or can I just ignore the new SIM card and not take any risks?

Device(s)
    A lot of them
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I never have changed my sim cards, until I go to micro sim for an iphone.
    BlackBerry Pin: 7be6f3d8 New BBM App on iPhone 5S YAY!

Feedback Score
    All SIM cards are not the same, but an awful lot are. As they get newer "generations" they sometimes step up with more memory, so a newer SIM may allow more SMS messages or more phone numbers to be stored in it. And some older ones allowed 2G data only, while the new ones all allow 3G even if the phone doesn't support it yet.

I've also kept to my "old" SIM card with a new phone--but my "old" card was replaced last year by the carrier when they couldn't figure out any other reason that my old phone wasn't working with new network equipment. I think that was BS, but they are after all paper cards these days, paper doesn't last forever.

If it works for you, are you're SURE it is working properly...save the new SIM in case the old one fails. No big deal.