Device(s)
    dell streak
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

my 1+ month of experience with the streak

this post is sort of a review for the streak but also to see if anyone else who has similar experiences with the streak. after reading my post, if anyone has similar issues with the streak, please share.

after purchasing the streak since day 1 of the u.s. release, this is what I have experienced:

1. when there is an incoming call, if my hand is anywhere near the top section of the phone (by the ear piece/front facing camera), after the initial 1 to 2 rings the screen on the phone goes black, and it takes a while before the screen shows anything again. if try to use the power key, the screen will lite up, but will not respond to any touches other then the 3 buttons at the bottom of the phone (the home key, option key, and the return key)

2. the blue tooth panasonic dell sold with the phone for 0.99 cents is truly a 0.99 cent quality. all my friends has stated when using this particular blue tooth unit, they can hardly hear me

3. when making phone calls with the standard wire ear piece that came with the phone, unless the surrounding area is quiet, it's very hard to hear what the other party is saying. it's even worst when calling another streak user... (definitely not a driving friendly unit...)

4. sometimes calling someone on sprint network, the phone would show it's calling, but no ringing tone.

5. google maps on speaker while using turn by turn voice direction, about 30% to 50% of the time it's hard to make out what the program is saying....

6. trying to drive, while having a conversation on the phone with the speaker on, really have to put the phone's microphone hole very near the mouth in order for the other person to hear me (this really defeats the hands free concept....)

itch to 3g is

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    im planning to get one... is anyone having same issue?

Device(s)
    dell streak
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    continuing on with the ear piece issue:
    I tried out a high end stereo ear piece today. the quality was decent. assuming most of the high end quality ear pieces are decent, then I would guess it's the ear piece that came with the streak that's giving me all the issues on being unable to hear much during phone calls.

sluggishness:
    sometimes, the streak would respond a bit sluggish. This usually happens when I have the internet browser on for a while. I don't know if it's an OS issue or it's the hardware issue. my coworker thinks it's the OS issue...

camera:
    after using a nokia n97 for a while, the streak's 5 mp camera just wasn't good enough....

carrying cases:
    dell offers 2 carrying cases for the phone, but neither look any good. otterbox.com has one for sale, it looks nice, but it doesn't have a belt clip and it doesn't protect the screen in anyway or form. Some chinese guy from Hong Kong sells custom made case (tailored to your wants) on ebay, but it's $40.00 + shipping.

batteries:
    there is a 3rd party company that sells batteries for the dell. (mugen-power I think?) the streak uses a size 1530 battery, the company has 2 batteries for the streak, a size 1800 (this is the same size as the 1530, so it will fit in the battery bay just fine) and a size 4800 battery (this thing is huge, doubled the thickness of the streak, does come with it's own cover. other then the thickness, there are no know carrying cases that can fit the double thickness.) so far, I'm using a "tamrac" utility pouch as my phone carrying case..... wish there is one with a decent cover and has a belt clip for the streak....

Device(s)
    Nokia N97- Finally!!
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e75user View Post
    continuing on with the ear piece issue:
    I tried out a high end stereo ear piece today. the quality was decent. assuming most of the high end quality ear pieces are decent, then I would guess it's the ear piece that came with the streak that's giving me all the issues on being unable to hear much during phone calls.

sluggishness:
    sometimes, the streak would respond a bit sluggish. This usually happens when I have the internet browser on for a while. I don't know if it's an OS issue or it's the hardware issue. my coworker thinks it's the OS issue...

camera:
    after using a nokia n97 for a while, the streak's 5 mp camera just wasn't good enough....

carrying cases:
    dell offers 2 carrying cases for the phone, but neither look any good. otterbox.com has one for sale, it looks nice, but it doesn't have a belt clip and it doesn't protect the screen in anyway or form. Some chinese guy from Hong Kong sells custom made case (tailored to your wants) on ebay, but it's $40.00 + shipping.

batteries:
    there is a 3rd party company that sells batteries for the dell. (mugen-power I think?) the streak uses a size 1530 battery, the company has 2 batteries for the streak, a size 1800 (this is the same size as the 1530, so it will fit in the battery bay just fine) and a size 4800 battery (this thing is huge, doubled the thickness of the streak, does come with it's own cover. other then the thickness, there are no know carrying cases that can fit the double thickness.) so far, I'm using a "tamrac" utility pouch as my phone carrying case..... wish there is one with a decent cover and has a belt clip for the streak....

Hey E75USER

Just was wondering i see that you are a big Nokia guy and i am too. I am using a Nokia N97 and i'm sure one of the reasons you switched to the Streak is because the Nokia OS is old and washed out. So I was considering getting the Streak, but then i heard that it is locked for ATT. is this true? Does this mean that the $549 on the dell site to buy it means that its locked too?

Device(s)
    dell streak
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    after 4 days of waiting, att finally provided the unlock code for the streak. and now, I have an unlocked streak to use.

Device(s)
    Nokia N97- Finally!!
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e75user View Post
    after 4 days of waiting, att finally provided the unlock code for the streak. and now, I have an unlocked streak to use.
    Did they make you get an smartphone data plan for the streak?

Device(s)
    dell streak
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have the unlimited data plan from 2 years ago.

and at since I paid Dell the full price for the phone, I don't have to extend my contract or sign up for another one.

seeing the streak is a smartphone, I do believe if you are going to get it, you'll have to have some kind of data plan from att.

also, even if you don't have to, and you use it just for phone/tablet, I don't think it's a good idea. I suspect the android os will try to go online for updates and what not without your approval. and if that's the case, and you don't have a data plan, it will be costly on your end.

of course, if you use it for the purpose of a mini tablet, then you don't have to worry about it, provided you didn't insert your sim card into the phone. just use the wi-fi for all your internet needs.

Device(s)
    dell streak
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    streaksmart.com today posted a news about someone successfully put android 2.2 onto the streak. but it's not 100% stable. also, they stated it's not an easy process to install the 2.2 onto the streak as well.

of course, by installing a 3rd party update onto your own phone will void the warranty. so the real question is can we wait and hope dell come up with android 2.2 in the next 2 months or put the 3rd party android 2.2 and hope everything is well.....