Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver, BC Wind Service Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneModo View Post
    What's service like in Richmond? I know they tower share with Bell, and Bell's HSPA is really mediocre in Richmond since they only have like 3 or 4 towers all running on 1900MHz.

I'm curious as to what their service is like
    I live in Richmond and the reception is generally good. But inside some buildings, I've no reception.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    Bell (2009 - ...?)
    Feedback Score
    which buildings usually? I'm thinking inside like Richmond Centre/Lansdowne/Aberdeen, whats it like in there?
    PHONEMODO
    I swap phones cause I can!

Isn't Hipstamatic just awesome?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneModo View Post
    which buildings usually? I'm thinking inside like Richmond Centre/Lansdowne/Aberdeen, whats it like in there?
    Didn't have problem with Richmond center and Aberdeen but no reception in one of the resturant in Lansdowne mall. My general observation is that the Wind reception is a little weak indoor.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, even with the best phones Windoor reception is weak.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Hey,

I live in Vancouver, and my wife uses Wind. So far next to no problems with call quality, reception, etc. Downtown has always had good reception whenever we used the phone. The Canada line doesn't have reception underground as someone noted, and I suppose that underground at the Canada line does count as part of downtown. Based on everything I've seen on these forums I believe that the Vancouver Wind network is far different and better deployed than the one out east.

I should also note that I have a work Blackberry Bold 9000, and it gets terrible reception, bad call quailty and dropped calls *all the time*. Everyone's horror stories about Wind out east are exactly what using this Blackberry is like. The thing drops calls if the skytrain goes too fast (ie, normal speed). Complete crap. I totally understand cancelling phone service that is like that. Sadly I can't cancel this Bell phone, but just wanted to note the contrast I've seen.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Downstairs in Pacific Centre reception is also useless with Wind. It's rather inconvenient to go shopping there with my girlfriend as a result, since if we go to a different store it's hard to coordinate after.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Migo what did you do before cell phones? Was your coordination any better when you were younger?

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Nowadays everyone in Vancouver assumes a cell phone, so it's not like you plan to meet at X place at Y hour, you just wing it and call if something changes. So every time something changes I need to leave Pacific Centre to call and ask where she went to next, and then hope she stays there by the time I get back in. It'd really suck if we were both on Wind.

Oh yeah, ICBC licensing centre in Royal Centre also has no coverage.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I live on the north shore but am often downtown, kitsilano, ubc, burnaby, richmond, etc... and have, by and large, been extremely impressed with the coverage. Everywhere wind says they have coverage I've had no problems of note, and even outside of those areas (especially in the south-eastern portions of vancouver) the coverage is much better than expected. Sure, I've gotten the odd dropped call - but my call quality has been excellent always and even inside I rarely have a problem. Here at home on the north shore (close to the edge of advertised coverage) I still get great signal in my basement.

My only real gripe is that I've had problems with upstream speeds and latency of my data connection, which was not initially an issue . Originally I got pings around 70-90ms with upstream of 1500kbps or so, now I get 150ms+ and 150kbps all the time... downstream speeds are still great though. considering Wind also uses Alcatel hardware, it sound suspiciously similar to the HSUPA issue that was capping AT&T iphone4 users at low upstreams and was apparently resolved by software updates to the tower hardware...
    Nexus One, Froyo, Wind mobile in North Vancouver (Lonsdale, on device):

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    Bell (2009 - ...?)
    Feedback Score
    lol are you one of those people who still runs around looking like a tourist with FRS radios?

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockjock View Post
    At York U I never had an issue there with Rogers.. that was with my V3 back in the day with less towers. When I was stationed at Downsview base I was in real shelters that could take a hit.. got a few bars there too.. Is it that bad.. just hit the forums and see.. all I was and am saying is.. for business I would not go cheap.. much like having a refurbished pacemaker put in.. sure it's cheaper.. but is it better?
    I am living in Richmond BC, so far there is no problem at all. Some times in the mall such like Lansdowne, the signal bar drop a little bit but the sounds still ok. No drop calls so far, but not yet test in other Vancouver areas.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I joined Wind September 11. I've never had a dropped call. I consistently get full bars in down town Vancouver (above ground, and in a concrete building's 11th floor), the BCIT area (in my apartment), and the Commercial drive area (in the shops).

I've never had a dropped call... HOWEVER, I must admit the voice quality seems ***poor or marginal at best***. Lots of... what i can only describe as syllables that are smoothed over/together (as if the codec being used constantly changes between a low quality to an even lower quality).

Possibly it's my phone (Nokia 5230 with and without earphone & mic) that's the source of the poor voice quality. But i doubt it since I've tested wind by using various combinations between my handset, voip phone, traditional land line, and various voicemail systems (wind vm, voip vm, work vm & parent's answering machine on a traditional land line)

You must also know that short codes are not supported, this means incoming sms from a non-cellphone is not supported: TWITTER IS NOT AVAILABLE; Translink's 33333 service is not available; MS Hotmail's sms alerts about incoming emails is not available; every company that offers sms alerts is not available (ie mycreditalert's sms credit file monitoring service).

The plan is nice (the $25 student plan) but when available I will check out if Moblicity has better voice quality and supports short codes.

Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    That's quite strange, as I find call quality to be crystal clear on my HTC Maple. It sounds like the SIM card issue some people have been experiencing...

Feedback Score
    In the outlying areas such as the tri-cities has the network been switched on ? As in wind zone ? I see on their map as future 2010 and live in poco. I have two lines to move from fido but would like to do it before their $25 promotion is over this weekend. Any feedback.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SD6 View Post
    I joined Wind September 11. I've never had a dropped call. I consistently get full bars in down town Vancouver (above ground, and in a concrete building's 11th floor), the BCIT area (in my apartment), and the Commercial drive area (in the shops).

I've never had a dropped call... HOWEVER, I must admit the voice quality seems ***poor or marginal at best***. Lots of... what i can only describe as syllables that are smoothed over/together (as if the codec being used constantly changes between a low quality to an even lower quality).

Possibly it's my phone (Nokia 5230 with and without earphone & mic) that's the source of the poor voice quality. But i doubt it since I've tested wind by using various combinations between my handset, voip phone, traditional land line, and various voicemail systems (wind vm, voip vm, work vm & parent's answering machine on a traditional land line)

You must also know that short codes are not supported, this means incoming sms from a non-cellphone is not supported: TWITTER IS NOT AVAILABLE; Translink's 33333 service is not available; MS Hotmail's sms alerts about incoming emails is not available; every company that offers sms alerts is not available (ie mycreditalert's sms credit file monitoring service).

The plan is nice (the $25 student plan) but when available I will check out if Moblicity has better voice quality and supports short codes.

Hope this helps.
    I had better Call Quality on my Huawei u7519, but better reception on my nokia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast