Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fully flash motorola droid x and get apps, mms, internet, talk, tex working

Feedback Score
    Remember that you still need to get the MEID into the MetroPCS database to put on your line. It will be easier to test the phone if you do that first.
    Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than trolls in the deep subforums.

Feedback Score
    I'm having trouble finding the diagnostic drivers for 64-bit windows 7... the link in the guide is for 32-bit and it isn't working.

will i be able to update to froyo and 2.3 after i do this?

I ran the one-click rooter and it said it was successful, shows Superuser Permissions so I guess it worked. However, I still don't have internal drive access via Terminal Emulator. I read in another thread that after rooting I could access the internal 8GB on the droid x for things like copying apps to pc, saving on sdcard space, etc.

For example when I try to use 'cd data' and 'ls' to view files it says 'opendir failed, Permission denied'
    'ls' will list files in the root directory, but I was going to put the logmein ignition app on the internal drive instead of the SDcard and 'md logmein' failed to create a directory.
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-18-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    If you want Froyo, you should update before you do the guide. Some of your provisioning will get wiped out and will have to be redone if you do the update afterwords. I think I remember someone posting the 64bit diagnostics drivers in the Motorola Droid guide thread, I believe they will also work for the Motorola Droid X.

If you see Superuser Permissions app, then you've rooted successfully. Some of your commands are failing because you haven't yet given terminal superuser permissions and/or you haven't mounted correctly. First make sure Debugging mode is enabled. Do an su command in a terminal emulator or an adb shell. Check your phone for an su request (if you don't see the request, you may have to give the Superuser Permissions focus FIRST before the su command is issued). Next, issue the command:
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Finally, you would be able to execute the other commands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenmojo View Post
    Some of your provisioning will get wiped out and will have to be redone if you do the update afterwords.
    Last night it updated to 2.3 without my permission while charging. What "provisions"? I need to re-root? Cause I still see Superuser Permissions app but when I load it just a black screen with 'superuser permissions' at the top and doesn't seem to respond to keyboard commands.

Also, the USB debugging says it only happens when you plug USB to PC. Does this mean any time I want to issue terminal commands I have to be plugged into a PC? I've tried both with no luck, su just yields 'permission denied' and the mount command says 'operation not permitted'

All this was done with USB-to-PC hooked up and USB debugging mode on.

edit: I have no idea what you mean by giving SU permissions "Focus"
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-19-2010 at 12:23 AM.

Feedback Score
    Since you haven't really done anything yet but root, nothing has really been wiped out. Provisioning is the correct term for what you are doing to get the Droid X on Metro (since the process doesn't involve flashing anything to the Droid X, only change settings).

How it normally works is that when an app request SU permissions the superuser permissions app displays a popup asking you for confirmation. If you haven't confirmed in a couple seconds, it times out and automatically denies that app SU permissions. What I mean by giving SU permissions "Focus" is to have it as the active app you are running (i.e. the one currently being displayed on your phone's screen) before you issue the su command. For some reason, the SU request in shell (either ADB or terminal) does not seem to trigger the SU popup (it may be poping under instead) unless the superuser permissions app has focus. I almost always do shells through ADB because it's easier for me to type with a physical, full-sized keyboard.

Feedback Score
    How can I issue the SU command in terminal if the Superuser Permissions app has focus??

Feedback Score
    You would need to do it through an ADB shell instead of a terminal emulator.

Feedback Score
    god that sucks, i briefly tried adb shell decided too much work.

this guide sure makes this seem easier than it really is and leaves out ****....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenmojo View Post
    I think I remember someone posting the 64bit diagnostics drivers in the Motorola Droid guide thread, I believe they will also work for the Motorola Droid X.

I couldn't find this thread you referenced. Meh.. I guess I could use a 2nd computer with 32-bit OS to do this... I should have paid the damned guy $75 and been done already though.
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-21-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by david_enoh View Post
    1. GO TO http://www.whiterabbit.org/android/

2. ENTER YOUR 10 [email protected] AS THE LOGIN STRING, THE CLICK 2.7 OR 3.5 DEPENDING ON WHICH
    CDMA WORKSHOP YOUR USING AND THEN HIT GENERATE. IT SHOULD DOWNLOAD A TEXT FILE. THESE ARE YOUR NV ITEMS.
    Says Droid 1 only, 'will brick any other phone' .. Is this true?

Feedback Score
    No. It will also work on the Droid X. I have done it myself and, obviously, so has the OP. Just be sure to select the radio button corresponding to your version of CDMA Workshop.

Device(s)
    blackberry
    Carrier(s)
    cricket
    Feedback Score
    Wow i cannot believe the amount of people that cannot follow direct detailed instructions, if you do exactly what i said it would have worked 100 percent, also try using google for drivers or other stuff cause its reall helpfull

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by david_enoh View Post
    Wow i cannot believe the amount of people that cannot follow direct detailed instructions, if you do exactly what i said it would have worked 100 percent, also try using google for drivers or other stuff cause its reall helpfull
    Most of our posts are about things not listed in your guide, like backup, linux commands, "will brick any other phone than droid 1", 64-bit drivers (not easily found on google).

You should try reading, its "reall helpfull"

edit: see first page for my review and rating of your "guide"
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-27-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Feedback Score
    I have been working on this for about 8-10 hours today, and got over several snags and hurdles but this last thing has held me up for 3 hours now and I'm probably done for the day.

Somehow it seems I lost the ability to boot into Diagnostic Mode. The first few times were no problem so its definitely not my camera button mashing technique or timing. It used to pop up 4 items in Device Manager with "?" next to them, one of which is says "Diag" something. Now however even after trying 10 times or so I can't get these to pop up any more.

I've tried both Windows 7 64-bit and a dedicated XP 32-bit computer and neither of them can pop up all these unknown/uninstalled devices in Device Manager any more.

With the 32-bit computer I'm able to connect on COM1 but when I hit read it says "failed: phone does not answer"

On the 64-bit it won't even connect. I have tried every single COM port from 1 to 25 and same thing for each one: COMX does not exist (X being the number of com port)

On the 32-bit computer I was only able to get connected on COM1 after following another, better guide that suggested PDAnet if driver issues arose. PDAnet installed well and got me over several driver issues, as well as let me connect to my phone on port 5723 and view its serial number using the ADB.exe command line "adb devices" from the Android SDK. However, I still have the "phone does not answer" error in CDMA Workshop 2.7 so I don't know what to do at this point.

I tried a battery pull just before Diag mode attempts to see if maybe that would help, but no change.

The only other thing I can think to do is reset my phone to factory defaults but I really don't want to do that... so I'll wait to hear a reply from someone.

edit: screw it, resetting to defaults now

edit2: Nope, not even after nuking it does it let me go into Diag mode anymore. Fu[King Wonderful!!!!!!!

edit3: unrooting, and re-rooting doesn't help either.

edit4: OK got into Diag mode again, button presses have to be DEEP ONLY. (2 depth switch) What this means is you can't use full up and down pressed (thru both switch levels), and you can't use shallow presses (from level 0 to level 1 depth). You gotta start at the first level and press down to the 2nd switch without letting off the button completely in between presses.
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-27-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    OK found another strange thing. After completing parts 1-3 I tried to make a call, and was directed to Verizon Activation. The way this guide is written it implies that Parts 4 and 5 are just for MMS & Apps. I'll go ahead and finish the guide to see if the implication and labeling of parts was just an oversight, but that definitely seems odd. Having the ESN added to Metro's inventory shouldn't have an affect on the phone defaulting to Verizon service, just the ability to make a call on Metro's network. It's possible that last week's forced Android update to 2.3 broke this method of flashing, but I sure hope not!

Part 4, step 2 has a difference for my phone. It was not "blank" it says Verizon, and under that: Internet.

edit: well I'm on part 5 step 2 now, and having issues because Superuser Permissions isn't popping up to give RootExplorer access. Wasted the last hour or so trying to get ADB over Wifi app to work, and now I'm attempting to connect over USB but its not working either. Learned a neat trick though, command prompt can have its screen buffers resized to allow more on the screen. This lets you view more info spat out by "adb bugreport" without using a /p or |more parameter. I noticed in the bug report its still showing my network as Verizon Wireless so I have my doubts if parts 1-3 even worked... but we'll see soon I guess. I just need to figure out how to control it over USB with ADB.exe from the AndroidSDK, so I can put SU in focus like drunkenmojo suggested on a related issue.
    Last edited by Joe7dust; 10-28-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast