Thread: Dell Streak headed to Rogers in November

Device(s)
    HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    Robbers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Dell Streak headed to Rogers in November

Which means it will be available before the Captivate! ahahaha I kid, I kid.

http://phandroid.com/2010/10/14/dell...arly-november/

Feedback Score
    No they say November, in Rogers code you have to add six months to that.

Maybe by April 1, 2011

Device(s)
    Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    this device is an odd size for me, too small for a tablet, too big for a phone.
    Eddie

Device(s)
    Nokia E72, N8, L920
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieWinslow View Post
    this device is an odd size for me, too small for a tablet, too big for a phone.
    It's interesting to read comments around the inter-tubes about size (mostly related to Apple fans defending their beloved iPwned4 screen size). That aside, a somewhat common sentiment is that anything over 4.0" seems too big for a smartphone.

Dell will be in tough because many won't look at the Streak as a tablet, which would be the only excuse for such a large screen.

Personally I'm not inclined to buy the Streak due to Dell's lack of commitment to support products after the glow has worn off. I have a Dell Axim x51v which is a great but flawed device, but could have been even better if Dell hadn't decided that PDAs were no longer the next-hot-thing and dropped it like a sack of taters. That kind of track record doesn't bode well when it comes to things like Android version updates and firmware updates.

Device(s)
    Huawei Ascend Mate, Nokia Lumia 710, HTC HD2, HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech4fun View Post
    No they say November, in Rogers code you have to add six months to that.

Maybe by April 1, 2011
    Just in time for my Bell contract to end!

I am so down for this phone, it's size is just too ridiculous but not ridiculous enough to pass up

Feedback Score
    This phone is like an experiment, to see what sizes people will be willing to use. Honestly, it would look a bit silly being used as a phone, and it only has Android 1.6 when Froyo has been out for months and months. They might have some decent hardware, but where is the software support? That is often the problem, you depend on them for updates that might never come.

Device(s)
    Nokia E72, N8, L920
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skomes View Post
    This phone is like an experiment, to see what sizes people will be willing to use. Honestly, it would look a bit silly being used as a phone, and it only has Android 1.6 when Froyo has been out for months and months.
    What the deal with that anyway, why are companies (Dell, Sony, etc) releasing these brand new devices on old platforms? Do they not have the technical expertise to pull it off or are they just trying to get a deal from Google? To me it just looks bad. How would you feel if you rolled into Best Buy to look at a brand new high powered PC that was loaded with Windows XP? Nothing wrong with XP, but you'd still scratch your head.

Feedback Score
    Galaxy S, Dell Streak or any other phone I would not buy until I can buy it with Android 2.2

Device(s)
    Huawei Ascend Mate, Nokia Lumia 710, HTC HD2, HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Well there is a 2.2 available for it anyways, that's good enough for me

I'll flash custom roms on any phone if they're available, do that 24/7 with my Touch.

Device(s)
    Nexus, Streak, 3GS, BB 8800, BB 8310(x2), iPhone, BB 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a Streak for a while running 2.1 and liked it a lot. A little big for everyday use, but not too bad...if you are single and want to remain so (I jest). Actually a really nice device. Worked great on Rogers.

Switched to a Galaxy for size reasons and I wanted to keep the wife.

Feedback Score
    Anyone have any info on whether or not it will launch with 2.1 or 2.2? Or am i looking at having to take care of business myself...

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Short View Post
    Anyone have any info on whether or not it will launch with 2.1 or 2.2? Or am i looking at having to take care of business myself...
    All the leaked news so far points to releasing with 1.6.

Dell has stopped work on updates/fixes to the current OS versions and is supposedly working on 2.2. Latest news is that they have committed to releasing it in Japan for Softbank with 2.2 and "Stage UI". Softbank is already taking preorders starting November 12 with a December delivery, so the delivery of 2.2 should be fairly solid.

http://androidos.in/2010/11/softbank...-huawei-004hw/

This is driving the rumours that they will be releasing a 2.2 update for Europe and North America shortly. Given Rogers track record I would be incredibly surprised if they release the Streak with 2.2 or even provide the update in a timely matter. OTOH, it should be available, and given that the Streak is not locked down, it should be easy to load it yourself.
    bj - HTC Magic 32A - Rooted - CM6-Minimou [2.2]

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Available now, but it's 1.6 and may be SIM-Locked.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-Available-NOW!
    Phone History
    Nokia 6160 -> Nokia 8260 -> Siemens M46 -> Motorola V300 -> HP iPAQ 6955 -> HTC Touch -> iPhone 3G 16GB Black -> HTC Google Nexus One -> Samsung Galaxy S Captivate -> Samsung Galaxy Tab -> Dell Streak -> Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G -> HTC Sensation 4G -> Galaxy Nexus

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBagodah View Post
    Available now, but it's 1.6 and may be SIM-Locked.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-Available-NOW!
    Is definately SIM-Locked. Which is bizarre since Dell is selling unlocked versions in the US & UK. Makes you wonder what sort of deal they worked out with Rogers to go that route. I can see the models bought from Rogers directly being locked but from Dell as well????

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Mega LTE & Sennheiser Presence
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I did play around with a Streak from a friend who bought it from the states. It was nice but IMO I found it too big to be a primary phone. It looked gay to carry on a belt clip and it was big to carry in your pocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast