Thread: advice solicited: Tour vs. Storm?

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

advice solicited: Tour vs. Storm?

What's the general consensus about Tour vs. Storm?

I've gotten pretty fed up with my Storm and the need to do a battery pull almost daily because of the infamous "Uncaught Java exception" -> hung BlackBerry. I am running the latest OS, and nothing particularly exceptional for apps.

I've already decided that I'll be replacing it with a Droid world phone once those are available, and am even tempted to pay full price rather than wait for NE2. But in the meantime...

...my boss lent me one of the company's Tours to try. It's his old phone, and I'll eventually have to give it back to our IT department (the account is my personal account FWIW). He claims that the Tour is less of a piece of crap than the Storm, having tried the Storm himself.

On the other hand, reading about the trackball and other Tour issues here makes me wonder if I'd be just as unhappy with the Tour. I know that I would rue the reduced screen space.

Furthermore, it isn't the text keyboard that bothers me about the Storm; it's the frequent crashes. If anything, the Tour's keyboard makes me worry since it looks like it'll be harder to dial phone numbers using it.

Does the Tour need frequent battery pulls? Is its browser a miserable piece of excrement like that on the Storm?

Given that it is trouble to move my data from one phone to another, and that in any case I'm saying bye-bye to BlackBerry in a few months and giving the Tour back, is it worth trying the Tour?

[And no, I'd rather be stuck with the Storm for another two years than even consider the as-yet mythical Verizon iPhone.]

Device(s)
    A lot of them
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I used a tour near exclusively on Sprint before going to a Curve 3g. I got it at launch and had no problems with the trackball until the very end, and even then, I would just shake it, and roll a bit of windex wetted cloth on it.
    BlackBerry Pin: 7be6f3d8 New BBM App on iPhone 5S YAY!

Device(s)
    A lot of them
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    And no, I didn't experience battery pull issues on my storm. My Tour on VZW performed well, but I ended up getting a Droid and had no need for two blackberries. I found the Tour to be better built software wise, with less bugs. Now I'm on AT&T instead of Verizon and because of the problems I had with the Storm, I won't touch the Torch.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The browser is the same on the Tour and the Storm. You would do well to install Opera Mini or Bolt. Each phone has its issues and the reduced screen real estate alone would keep me with the Storm over the Tour if it was my choice to make.

Feedback Score
    Tour 9630 is discontinued now. It has been replaced with the Blackberry 9650 Bold (aka Tour 2) this phone is exactly like the departed Tour except it adds a track pad, wifi and double the on board memory(which allows it to be upgraded to Blackberry 6)

The 9650 Bold looks almost like the tour except for the track pad replacing the trackball and the charging port is a bit further down on the side then the tour(I don't know why)

Both have quad band GSM capabilities and can be had with ether a camera or not (for those that work in a place that camera's are a no-no)

I had a Tour and I have a Bold 9650 now and the phones may look a like but are night and day. The trackpad makes life so much easier to use.

Look into getting the 9650

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Another vote for the 9650 Bold. Best BlackBerry I've ever owned and it absolutely buries the Tour. Double the memory, WiFi, and the trackpad instead of the trackball.

I replaced the trackball on my Tour three times. The device was solid outside of that design flaw. But the Bold's trackpad is MILES ahead of the ball. I was worried, given RIM's record with implementing new technologies (touch screen devices like the awful Storm, the re-designed trackball they put on Tour) that the trackpad would have issues. But it's been problem-free all along.

Get the Bold and forget the Tour.

Device(s)
    A lot of them
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Only trackpads I've had issues with have been the curve series of phones.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do consider the 9650.

I owned the Storm 2 which I was for the most part happy with for six months until I learned about the non-upgrade. I just got the Bold 9650 yesterday (CPO, price was right) and upgraded to OS 6 and I am wowed by this thing. This is my fourth different Blackberry model in three years, after the Bold 9000, Pearl Flip, and Storm 2. The optical trackpad is amazing. Of course you can't get around the fact of the smaller screen but it is very crisp and the new OS makes clever use of this seeming limitation. Appreciably lighter than the Storm too. As I said, I only got the 9650 yesterday so time will tell but I can say I am pretty infatuated right now!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have owned the tour for almost two years and its been a phone I actually dont complain to my parents about (with getting a different phone)... I have not tried the storm, but I kinda want it..... My friend had the storm and i dont know if she had problems at all i dont think she did.... My tour doesn't need battery pulls much, as I only pull the battery like once every month or three months.... My phone never crashes, I have never had trackball problems. However, I do have GPS problems commonly and that requires a re-boot or battery pull to fix the problem if you are in need of GPS a lot such as for Google Latitude, or other location applications. Another thing i dont like about the tour is (before i disabled it) i would always pocket-press the Voice Command button when im in school, but its not a problem since i changed the shortcut button to nothing.... this is pretty much all i have to say about my Tour 9630