Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sasktel 3G signal is poor!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    I've got a 3G T-Mobile USA phone (Nokia Nuron) that has 3G 850 and 1700 but not 1900. I get 3G with Rogers on it but no service with SaskTel in Regina. That implies that SaskTel is currently only using 1900 MHz in Regina for their HSPA coverage and would explain the poorer in-building coverage perfectly.

I assume 850 MHz HSPA is in the cards but it might be a matter of getting enough subscribers off CDMA/1x/EvDO devices first, or at a minimum getting analog shut down (which might free enough 850 MHz spectrum).
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I assume 850 MHz HSPA is in the cards but it might be a matter of getting enough subscribers off CDMA/1x/EvDO devices first, or at a minimum getting analog shut down (which might free enough 850 MHz spectrum).
    I think analog is using much less than 5MHz of spectrum, and analog shutdown isn't going to help UMTS at all, iirc. Regina and Saskatoon sites will have to see about half as much traffic before spectrum could be moved from CDMA to UMTS.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I've got a 3G T-Mobile USA phone (Nokia Nuron) that has 3G 850 and 1700 but not 1900.
    Well for that phone 850/900/1800/1900 is listed as GSM/EDGE which is not compatible with Sasktel's network. It does say it has 1700-2100 WCDMA, but I don't know whether WCDMA is supported by Sasktel.

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    WCDMA is what UMTS uses, so, yes, SaskTel supports WCDMA. But, not 1700 or 2100. Just 850 and 1900.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenseeker View Post
    Well for that phone 850/900/1800/1900 is listed as GSM/EDGE which is not compatible with Sasktel's network. It does say it has 1700-2100 WCDMA, but I don't know whether WCDMA is supported by Sasktel.
    It roams on Bell fine in Toronto. It has 3G 850 plus 3G 1700. I confirmed it in the T-Mobile forums.

Feedback Score

ERK pet peeve:

3G is not a single technology, its a buzz word meaning "3rd Generation" referring to the standards set out in "International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT—2000)". Not all "3G technologies" are compatible with each other. Could someone sticky this on the front page of every forum?

3G 850 has no meaning to me. GSM/EDGE 850 does have meaning, and GSM/EDGE 850 has absolutely no compatibility with Sasktel's CDMA2000 or UMTS(W-CDMA)/HSPA network.

GSM/EDGE 850 will not roam on UMTS(W-CDMA)/HSPA 850.

According to Wikipedia, Bell & Telus not only overlayed their networks with HSPA but have also committed to switching to GSM. So I would guess that the phone is roaming on the GSM/EDGE 850 network in Toronto.

What I don't understand, and jmasterfunk maybe you could enlighten me, is why that phone wouldn't roam on the Sasktel's UMTS(W-CDMA) 1900 network? Isn't the phone rated for 1700-2100 W-CDMA, or is that a cheater way to say 1700/2100? (range vs specific frequency)

Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenseeker View Post
    3G is not a single technology, its a buzz word meaning "3rd Generation" referring to the standards set out in "International Mobile Telecommunications-2000 (IMT—2000)". Not all "3G technologies" are compatible with each other. Could someone sticky this on the front page of every forum?

3G 850 has no meaning to me. GSM/EDGE 850 does have meaning, and GSM/EDGE 850 has absolutely no compatibility with Sasktel's CDMA2000 or UMTS(W-CDMA)/HSPA network.

GSM/EDGE 850 will not roam on UMTS(W-CDMA)/HSPA 850.

According to Wikipedia, Bell & Telus not only overlayed their networks with HSPA but have also committed to switching to GSM. So I would guess that the phone is roaming on the GSM/EDGE 850 network in Toronto.

What I don't understand, and jmasterfunk maybe you could enlighten me, is why that phone wouldn't roam on the Sasktel's UMTS(W-CDMA) 1900 network? Isn't the phone rated for 1700-2100 W-CDMA, or is that a cheater way to say 1700/2100? (range vs specific frequency)
    Very good first point. SaskTel has technically had a 3G network since 2005 with EV-DO

You'll want to reference something like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

You'll see that 1700 and 2100 are two separate frequency bands that this device in question will support. (if it does indeed do 850, you get three bands). So, it's not saying 1700 to 2100. It's 1700 and 2100. Is that where the confusion is coming from?

Feedback Score
    Yes I think I'm used to seeing the supported bands separated by the slash, using a dash would logically mean a range. (1700-2100 would equal 1700/1800/1900/2100)

Thus my confusion.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    Alright, to deal with the pedantics, my phone supports 2.5G GSM/EDGE on the 850/900/1800/1900 bands, and 3G HSDPA/HSUPA/UMTS on the 850 (cellular) and 1700 (AWS) bands.

Feedback Score
    actually having an older nokia C6 that has had good recieving capacities. some of it is not the towers but the terrible phones that recieve so poorly. having played with several older and newer phones. the older ones are definatly recieving better. having played with Sony, Samsung, HTC. all three of these were really terrible and dismal for phone reception. I had to go back to the C6 for functionality and good reception. Sasktel right now is bringing in some really crappy phones ignoring the nokias.

i really dont have any solution what to try. i am really not impressed with the programming of android, apple programming or blackberry. i need a simple to get into address and text messaging system like that old nokia. i dont want 3 or 4 steps to get to an idiotic button hidden some place that i have to go looking for when i want to do something. its like they have forgotten functionality and the need for simplicity and i wonder how much this has even contributed to car accidents due to peoples frustration with a phone trying to opperate it. regular phone keys and even a good set of letter keys for todays phones are almost a needed must. but these newer opperating systems truely lack in usefulness and function. on top of it people are installing every brain dead ap that makes you want someone to coat check phones at the door when you go for a coffee with people.

with that being said. i am finding it totally impossible to find a new phone today with functionality and a good recieving antenae. and after trying several phones i keep going back to my reliable nokia and cell companies here refuse to bring them in. fact is for reception they work where as htc, samsung, sony, blackberry are all seriously missing the mark on issues with function and reception. when do cell providers start putting pressure on cell phone companies to sell them a better more reliable product and they tell me 3 out of 4 phones are being returned. hello doesnt this tell anyone something. Loose these garbage phones Please! they are giving me headaches as i cant get function and reliability out of them. i just want something that works well and really cant give two rips about having internet on a phone. sure its nice looking up a phone number or buisness info when needed but i really dont have need of data nor use it but a fraction the amount. just give me an opperator that we once never had to be charged for when i wanted info. anyway thats my cell rant. and one sony that got bought at bell that nearly got thrown against a wall in frustration. both bell for its bad service at the stores and sony phones suck. maybe we all should be leaving these brain dead Data phones in the store where did this crap technology come from. i am tired of being bombarded with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2