Thread: Help! 2nd hand galaxy s partial brick

Device(s)
    Samsung E840
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Help! 2nd hand galaxy s partial brick

Hey everyone, first of all, i been to xda forums and i couldnt get any help. Now im back here haha

I was downloading a file when my i9000m froze and it shut off. I tried to power it on and it loads to the famous `S` screen and shuts off.
    I have flashed with Odin 10 times already with all types of firmwares and still same thing.
    I can access recovery and download mode. My problem now is i dont have a PROOF of purchase...BUT the imei is in BELL`s system! they just wont give me a receipt for it as it is SECOND hand.

I have read that their is a samsung service center in missausaga ontario. Or i heard that Bell goes through a company called FutureTel Service center. I dont know what to do, i dont have the $$ yet to but a new phone and i want to be honoured for the 1 year manufacturer warranty.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Either water damage, moisture damage or a bad flash. You need to enter the bootloader and reflash.

Moisture damage could cause the phone to think that certain buttons are being pressed, causing the phone to hang at startup. Usually, you can wipe away rust or residue with cleaning alcohol. Electrical grade contact cleaner works much better.

Since it was working and then suddenly broke, I'd say it's moisture damage finally starting to cause problems. Wash the phone off with alcohol and scrub any corroded or rusted contacts with a q-tip.

Device(s)
    Samsung E840
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by switch998 View Post
    Either water damage, moisture damage or a bad flash. You need to enter the bootloader and reflash.

Moisture damage could cause the phone to think that certain buttons are being pressed, causing the phone to hang at startup. Usually, you can wipe away rust or residue with cleaning alcohol. Electrical grade contact cleaner works much better.

Since it was working and then suddenly broke, I'd say it's moisture damage finally starting to cause problems. Wash the phone off with alcohol and scrub any corroded or rusted contacts with a q-tip.
    i am going to try this...but i highly doubht this will fix it as i dont believe moisture damage was a issue. If i cant fix it, what are my options since it is 2nd hand? im thinking about going to Bell and saying i was using this phone as PDA and see if they can do something for me.

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Could be a dead internal SD. There's quite a bit of problems with the Bell Vibrants...
    Fido Lines

$25 Standard Plan
    $30 6GB Data
    --------
    $39 Smart Plan with 600MB Data
    --------
    $19 Standard Plan

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n1ghtgnom3 View Post
    i am going to try this...but i highly doubht this will fix it as i dont believe moisture damage was a issue. If i cant fix it, what are my options since it is 2nd hand? im thinking about going to Bell and saying i was using this phone as PDA and see if they can do something for me.

Bell wont do anything for you without it being active or without the original receipt. You'd get a bit of money selling it on ebay, if you cant fix it there's a lot of refurbishers that source stuff from ebay (like myself).

If the phone has been dropped, it could also be an intermittent solder joint. If that's the problem, the phone should work only when hot, try leaving it next to a heating vent for a while then powering it up. If that's the problem I wouldn't recommend fixing it yourself, since there's a lot that can happen when reflowing without the proper equipment.

Device(s)
    Samsung E840
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by switch998 View Post
    Bell wont do anything for you without it being active or without the original receipt. You'd get a bit of money selling it on ebay, if you cant fix it there's a lot of refurbishers that source stuff from ebay (like myself).

If the phone has been dropped, it could also be an intermittent solder joint. If that's the problem, the phone should work only when hot, try leaving it next to a heating vent for a while then powering it up. If that's the problem I wouldn't recommend fixing it yourself, since there's a lot that can happen when reflowing without the proper equipment.
    anyone know where i can find a samsung repair center, i mean come on, HONESTLY...samsung canada doesnt know if you had a receipt or not BELL has to know. there MUST be a loophole

Device(s)
    Samsung E840
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    anyone know where to buy i9000m motherboards in Ontario?? ive searched everywhereee!!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Not sure if it's cost effective to buy a new motherboard, but I can't see anybody selling just the motherboard since there is little demand for them. If you didn't invest much into this phone, buy a parts phone from ebay w/ a working board.