Thread: T-Mobile follows AT&T, Verizon with new data plan

Device(s)
    LG G8, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile follows AT&T, Verizon with new data plan

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/...gebusinessnews

T-Mobile says it's adding a cheaper data plan with a limit on monthly traffic, much the way AT&T and Verizon Wireless have already done.

T-Mobile USA said Monday the new plan will be introduced before the end of the year. It will cost $10 per month with a two-year contract or $15 per month without one. It will provide 200 megabytes of data use per month.

The U.S. unit of Germany's Deutsche Telekom AG is keeping its existing unlimited data plan, which costs $20 or $30 depending on the voice plan it's added to.

AT&T eliminated its unlimited data plans for new customers this summer. One of the new options is $15 per month for 200 megabytes. Verizon Wireless is trying out a similar plan this holiday season.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    From this forum on Oct. 17:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...-T-Mobile-soon

The thing that's not immediately evident about this is that, unlike AT&T, who let's the user choose the plan based on their own estimated usage (regardless of phone model), and if the data amount falls short you can supplement with pay-per-use data, T-Mobile has decided that you get a plan based on your phone model. You can't have a whiz-bang smartphone and a cheapie data plan, even if you're not big into it.

There's is some word however, that there might be changes to this even before release date (Nov. 3). The new data plans are being postponed, if what I've read here is true.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6086
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Yesterday I was forced to upgrade my EM+ $10 data add-on to work with either my Blackberry 8320 or my Android G1, neither of which are likely to be sucking much data. I complained, and was give the "Premium Android Internet" plan for $20, which does also work with Blackberry and my Huwai express-card modem.

Not sure what they will do when tethering comes along.

Before upgrading, I did tether my Android G1 to my computer and set my Firefox browser user agent to mimic my Blackberry 8320. The message saying I need to upgrade was offering me only Blackberry plans, not Android plans. So they do seem to be sniffing user-agents. Probably they are packet-sniffing even deeper than this. There are hard times ahead for the tech-savvy T-Mobile user, I am afraid...
    Last edited by trevmar; 11-02-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typo

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    It's not about tethering, it's about your phone's IMEI.
    When you turn the phone on, the phone submits SIM info to associate with your account as well as IMEI.
    If the phone falls into specific category, the situation you stated happened.

Quote Originally Posted by trevmar View Post
    Yesterday I was forced to upgrade my EM+ $10 data add-on to work with either my Blackberry 8320 or my Android G1, neither of which are likely to be sucking much data. I complained, and was give the "Premium Android Internet" plan for $20, which does also work with Blackberry and my Huwai express-card modem.

Not sure what they will do when tethering comes along.

Before upgrading, I did tether my Android G1 to my computer and set my Firefox browser user agent to mimic my Blackberry 8320. The message saying I need to upgrade was offering me only Blackberry plans, not Android plans. So they do seem to be sniffing user-agents. Probably they are packet-sniffing even deeper than this. There are hard times ahead for the tech-savvy T-Mobile user, I am afraid...

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    Nokia 6086
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    The point of my post was to offer that it is not just the IMEI which is being looked at, as then I would have been offered an Android plan. In this case I was offered Blackberry plans, which was the user-agent ID of the browser I was using

Device(s)
    LG G5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    A store rep told me that the $10 or $15 200 mb data can be used on the high end smartphones now. Any truth to this, or is the rep just misinformed?

Feedback Score
    The store rep is right. A quick trip to tmobile.com could've told you that!