Thread: AT&T coverage and speed in St. Louis

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T coverage and speed in St. Louis

I'm a native of the stl area and travelled there this past weekend. I ran a multitude of speedtest.net app tests and was lucky to hit 1.0 Mbps down in any area (Clayton, UCity, and downtown itself) but did hit 1.5 to 1.6 Mbps up consistently. I assume the metro area is a HSPA+ area so I was hoping to see downloads in the 4-5 range at least. Any St Louis folks have any similar or differing results? Also, my reception hovered around 1-2 bars in large portions of West County.......any thoughts?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    That's very curious because I usually get 4-5 mbps down and 1-2 up, with 4-5 bars all the way through the city including the area you mention. Nearly all of St. Louis is fiber backhauled and there are very few issues with dropped calls there.

Your problem might be more with the 3GS than the St. Louis network which should be upgraded to HSPA+ very soon.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have an iphone4.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Don't use speedtest.net, use Extremelabs speedtest.

Also some areas are cell overlapping areas with high channel noise which results in speeds that aren't the best, you could have been in one of those.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That may have been the case. I'll be in town there around the middle of December so I'll run some more tests; the 24 hour period I was there last may have been some weird network issue.

Why use Extreme Labs as opposed to Speedtest? Just curious.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've seen seen speedtest.net deliver subpar results too many times compared to xtremelabs app.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    IMHO, Speedtest.net is more 'Ad filled', and runs a very short test. While speeds are still 'ramping up', the test ends
    I suspect that this was to keep traffic lower, and promote more Ads (same reason for all the time consuming eye candy on the app).
    Extremelabs test consumes more data by running longer, and shows 'peak' and 'average' vs. just the last result.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Use the FCC App or Xtremelabs. Speedtest.net seems to be more or less an iAd app now, which is great for most apps, but has a tendency to eat bits at the same time as the speed test.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As much as I use the Speedtest.net app, I wouldn't recommend it for St. Louis at all. For some reason, it always tends to connect me to the server in Springfield even though the desktop version of Speedtest.net has a St. Louis server.

Generally, St. Louis seems to be a strong area for AT&T. When I lived there for 2 years (2007-2009), coverage was fantastic, but 3G congestion was abysmal right after the iPhone 3G came out. I can't tell you how hard it was to try and make a call on 5 bars of 3G at the St. Louis Galleria! However, I was last there this April and coverage and speeds are even better than before. I was easily hitting 2.8Mbps on my old iPhone 3G.
    AT&T HSPA+_____________________________________________ ____________AT&T LTE

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 - 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I think it was a hardware issue with my iPhone 4 as even where I live it was giving very sporadic speed tests and reception so I exchanged it and the new model seems to be more stable. I look forward to trying it out in StL next month.