Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mobilicity - Wind competition

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score

Mobilicity - Wind competition

It looks like the competition is heating up. Mobi has revamped their plans so that their $25 is unlimited but without VM/CID/province LD, their $35 matches Wind's, and their $45 tops it with global texting added to the mix. But more importantly they've slashed data to $10/month unlimited, and they're about to launch in Edmonton, Ottawa and Vancouver.

Right now I have the one-year student rate ($25 for the $45 plan), plus $35 data, so that's $60 total, and $80 after the rate expires next fall. Mobi's new rates would offer the "same" (within the limits of coverage of course) for $55, no expiry date, and many of the dealers who launch this month in Vancouver are pricing the unlimited-everything-plus-data at a staggering $40.

I wonder, is WIND going to respond to this in any way?

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Probably by raising the prices of SIM cards to $25.

It's sad that Wind's track record makes me as cynical about them as I am about the incumbents.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, as shown back when Wind/Mobilicity/Public launched, it takes a lot more than having the lowest price to get customers to switch.

I think the WindTab will do a better job at attracting clients than Mobilicity's lower monthly fees.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    For me the sweet spot on price is $35 to $45. I do not mind paying that.
    Now the question is who will provide the most value for that price point.

Each carrier has their issues:

Wind = Swiss Cheese network
    Mobilicity = AWS 1700 phones which do not work on the network

Who will fix their problems first?

I really want to be able to use my Nokia N8 phone which works perfect on Wind but does not on Mobilicity.

If Wind could match the $35 F&F plan I have with Mobilicity I would probably come back to Wind (after the 50 new towers come back online and improve network stability)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    It looks like the competition is heating up. Mobi has revamped their plans so that their $25 is unlimited but without VM/CID/province LD, their $35 matches Wind's, and their $45 tops it with global texting added to the mix. But more importantly they've slashed data to $10/month unlimited, and they're about to launch in Edmonton, Ottawa and Vancouver.
    Actually the the $25 does include CID and the $35 goes beyond matching Wind's $35 since it includes voicemail and unlimited text/picture messaging. Also, don't forget the US long distance in Mobi's $45.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    Probably by raising the prices of SIM cards to $25.

It's sad that Wind's track record makes me as cynical about them as I am about the incumbents.
    Yeah, Wind needs to step it up a few notches simply because of what the owner said... something about "We will make pain, and they will suffer"

WHEN?

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Let's hope WIND follows Mobilicity's lead. Mobilicity's launch plans weren't very good, but they've adjusted quickly. The new plans are very good. They juts have to work on expanding coverage.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedZidaric View Post
    For me the sweet spot on price is $35 to $45. I do not mind paying that.
    Now the question is who will provide the most value for that price point.

Each carrier has their issues:

Wind = Swiss Cheese network
    Mobilicity = AWS 1700 phones which do not work on the network

Who will fix their problems first?

I really want to be able to use my Nokia N8 phone which works perfect on Wind but does not on Mobilicity.

If Wind could match the $35 F&F plan I have with Mobilicity I would probably come back to Wind (after the 50 new towers come back online and improve network stability)
    What is the issue there? Some AWS phones are not working on Mobi?

Quote Originally Posted by mGeek View Post
    Let's hope WIND follows Mobilicity's lead. Mobilicity's launch plans weren't very good, but they've adjusted quickly. The new plans are very good. They juts have to work on expanding coverage.
    Yeah, these are great sounding plans.. and $10 for data add on sounds too good.. Just wish the network was bigger.

Device(s)
    iPh 4, iPh 6+, Nexus S, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 :-)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido,... Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ckl_88 View Post
    Yeah, Wind needs to step it up a few notches simply because of what the owner said... something about "We will make pain, and they will suffer"

WHEN?
    Oh, he was talking about them (the good guys) twisting parts of the big bad three. Not each other. Besides I think he is going to buy them anyway so we will be left with four at some point in time.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I guess what it comes down to is, WIND is starting to make a tiny dent in the base of the Big 3, but Mobi is still minuscule. They need more people on board and at this point they're prepared to let them in the gate at a basement bargain discount.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by profets View Post
    What is the issue there? Some AWS phones are not working on Mobi?
    See this - Vibrant having reconnect issues and myTouch 3G and N8 not connecting
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ith-Mobilicity

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedZidaric View Post
    See this - Vibrant having reconnect issues and myTouch 3G and N8 not connecting
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ith-Mobilicity
    thanks... and geez does that suck.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I also noticed that. My wife has HTC snap, I have Samsung Galaxy I7500 and Nexus One. Only HTC Snap can see Mobi network however all 3 phones work on Wind. I have no idea why.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alxlabs View Post
    I also noticed that. My wife has HTC snap, I have Samsung Galaxy I7500 and Nexus One. Only HTC Snap can see Mobi network however all 3 phones work on Wind. I have no idea why.
    This has me thinking it's gotta be that the APN settings for Mobilicity or something similar aren't inputted into the phone. Mobilicity sells the Nexus One (I'm assuming yours is from elsewhere), so it can't be the hardware.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_melgin View Post
    This has me thinking it's gotta be that the APN settings for Mobilicity or something similar aren't inputted into the phone. Mobilicity sells the Nexus One (I'm assuming yours is from elsewhere), so it can't be the hardware.
    APN's only handle data/internet connections. They are not needed and do not need to be programmed in for a phone to connect to the network, to make voice calls, or to send text messages. The problem people are having with Mobilicity makes it so that they can't even make voice calls using some unlocked AWS compatible phones.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast