Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mobilicity - Wind competition

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcy View Post
    Could be locking out imei numbers that r not theirs on phones they carry. but this is just a guess.
    Interesting. How about a network scan with Wind sim card inserted... Can you see Mobi network? Where are you located? I tried N1 at Pearson airport, rutherford/dufferin, 7&woodbine. In all of the locations I can see only Wind home and Rogers wireless.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I just tried with foreign sim card (from China Telecom) - Network scan shows can-490 and Rogers wireless... hmmm... Can-490 is Wind... Why there is no Mobi?

Device(s)
    Honor Play 6GB 128GB version, Xiaomi mi A1, testing Meiigoo S8.
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alxlabs View Post
    Interesting. How about a network scan with Wind sim card inserted... Can you see Mobi network? Where are you located? I tried N1 at Pearson airport, rutherford/dufferin, 7&woodbine. In all of the locations I can see only Wind home and Rogers wireless.
    I am in promenade mall area but do not have the N1, it is actually my daughters line and she uses the htc snap, i also checked and on hers only see Wind and Rogers but hers is a Wind branded phone.
    Phones using: Honor Play 6GB 128GB,wife using LG G7 One, son using iPhone XR,daughter using iPhone XR, Youngest son using Xiaomi Redmi 5.

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised to see here that people are still saying that wind network is swiss cheese, although I must admit they were in the beginning, but then when I started getting less dropped calls and missed texts with my N1 (bought straight from google), it was obvious that they were improving over time. I switched out from wind and went to Chatr for a month solely aiming to reactivate my account with wind to get their new one-year promo :P Time flew and a month already passed. I have to admit Chatr's network during that month was rock solid, handsdown - but too bad I hated Rogers even more. Before switching back to wind though, I decided to try out mobilicity, obviously because their F&F promo was such an awful temptation.

Unfortunately I switched back out and returned into wind's arms after 2 days with Mobilicity. What a joke. Don't get me wrong though, Mobi's network was great, OUTDOORS. In my condo, I had to stay by the window just to get reception on my phone. Whenever I was on the line with someone and started walking into the (open) kitchen, which is 3 meters away from the window, my line will get cut. I was only halfway to the kitchen. Did I mention I live near yonge/college? That's downright downtown core. Wind, on the other hand, got me covered where ever I went inside my suite. I was actually touched over such a thing.

Nonetheless, this is only my tiny experience with Mobi over 2 days around yonge/college area. I never had the chance to take it further away to test the reception. So I can't speak for the service in other areas. What I can really tell is, my N1 works on both mobilicity and wind.
    2005 Jan - 2006 Sept: Rogers
    2006 Sept -2010 March: Fido
    2010 April - 2010 Sept: Wind
    2010 Oct: Chatr, Mobilicity
    2010 Nov - Present: Wind
    Current phone: Nexus One
    Next phone: Nexus S, or anything with a dual-core

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Yeah when I looked at Mobilicity's cell sites in Mississauga, they're even worse than Wind's, and Wind's aren't great either. I mean, they do the job, and I can hold a call usually, but it'll make noises, break up, etc. I might not call Wind's network swiss cheese, but they definitely need more towers.
    Formerly FidoFan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedZidaric View Post
    See this - Vibrant having reconnect issues and myTouch 3G and N8 not connecting
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ith-Mobilicity
    I dont have the reconnect issue on my vibrant.

I believe it's the settings. When I was on Wind, I had the reconnect issue too and times I wasnt able to pick up a wind signal at all. It wasn't until I went in and locked the phone on AWS 1700/2100 band that I was able to always get a lock on Wind signal even if I lost reception.

The original setting had the 1900 band selected as well along with the 1700/2100.

this is probably the issue thats causing the reconnect problems on mobilicity's network as well. Now I reconnect with no issue whatsoever.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    Bell (2009 - ...?)
    Feedback Score
    Getting back to the core question of this thread, about what will happen between WIND and Mobilicity, I personally think long term WIND will be the champion between these 2 brands for multiple reasons:

1) Coverage
    While Mobilicity launched in the GVA with coverage in Surrey/Langley/etc, they have large gaps (such as Delta/White Rock) where WIND is going to be adding coverage. I've also been told that their network is a lot more in and out (however over time I'm sure that their network will be much more stable over time). But big question: will they expand? (more, CAN they expand based off limited bandwidth in their spectrum allocation)

2) Data Woes
    Remember 2 things: WIND has 20MHz of AWS spectrum for BC (and I will continue to use BC cuz I live here) whereas Mobilicity has 10MHz (I actually think these numbers hold up throughout Canada). The limitation means that unless Mobilicity has half the subscribers, their data speeds will get throttled much more. And in HoFo, you'll notice members posting that on WIND they'd get 1mbps to 2mbps and on Mobi they get maybe 700kbps to 800. While some people will never ever use data, the users that do, and rely HEAVILY on it, will eventually get frustrated with EDGE like speeds on a "3.5G network". People always complain about little things like that.

3) Dealers
    I'm never usually one to rag on a dealership, but have you spoken to some of the idiots that work in their "Platinum Exclusive" dealerships? They're IDIOTS. Telling someone with a Bold 9700 from Bell, that their phone will work, you'll just always be in the national coverage area, is a bad plan. This will affect it a lot. The WIND associates I've dealt with are super pleasant, and usually knowledgeable.

Just my $0.02. But I really think that while Mobilicity will draw people in with their killer plans to start, issues will drive them away just as quickly to WIND. I do hope WIND comes out with a better competitor to the Mobilicity $25 plan, because the $15 is too little for me, and in BC, most people don't need province-wide calling, because most of us are in the 604/778 area code and not 250 or LD604
    PHONEMODO
    I swap phones cause I can!

Isn't Hipstamatic just awesome?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/22.381; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I think another big differentiator will be when Wind launches in more provinces in which Mobilicity doesn't own any spectrum. I'm going to try them out anyway, but what could bring me back to Wind is a larger network down the road.

Device(s)
    Huawei U8100-9
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/22.381; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I think another big differentiator will be when Wind launches in more provinces in which Mobilicity doesn't own any spectrum. I'm going to try them out anyway, but what could bring me back to Wind is a larger network down the road.
    +1

The great thing about having them both on AWS is that you can move back and forth almost without cost (you might need to buy a sim, but that's it). I'm sticking with mobilicity for now because $35 is amazing for text and data, but if I find that I'm spending too much on roaming in cities where Wind has coverage, I'll just buy a sim and switch over.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I switched to Wind only after a week with Mobilicity. I don't know what the reception/data is like for you guys in the GTA between Mobi and Wind but here in Edmonton, Wind absolutely blows Mobi out of the water in terms of reception and data connectivity. The speed on Wind is fast.. basically just as fast as the Big 3, this is huge for me. A problem I found with Mobi while trying out reception throughout the city is that even though you'd have full bars it would be possible that you get no data even though the 3g icon is lit on my phone (Android), not an issue with Wind. Also, on Mobi if you get disconnected from the network it takes a reboot (again, on Android) to get the data back. So yeah, the plan is/was amazing but Wind has far better reception/connectivity in my city.

Device(s)
    Samsung SIII
    Carrier(s)
    ChatR
    Feedback Score
    I am using 25$ Student + 5$ Unlimited world text plan. I am not 100% satisfied with the service. Unlimited data and north america and Blackberry services for 40 bucks is too tempting for Mobiliicity. Do you guys think its worthy ? Hows network coverage in ottawa ?

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pookguy88 View Post
    I switched to Wind only after a week with Mobilicity. I don't know what the reception/data is like for you guys in the GTA between Mobi and Wind but here in Edmonton, Wind absolutely blows Mobi out of the water in terms of reception and data connectivity. The speed on Wind is fast.. basically just as fast as the Big 3, this is huge for me. A problem I found with Mobi while trying out reception throughout the city is that even though you'd have full bars it would be possible that you get no data even though the 3g icon is lit on my phone (Android), not an issue with Wind. Also, on Mobi if you get disconnected from the network it takes a reboot (again, on Android) to get the data back. So yeah, the plan is/was amazing but Wind has far better reception/connectivity in my city.
    The data issue is the proxy, remove it and data works fine. No idea why Mobilicity screwed that up, but it's an easy fix.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    where do you remove the proxy on an android? All I entered was the APN for mobilicity: wap.davewireless.com

I didn't enter a proxy in the APN settings

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    That's really odd then. The problems you were describing I've only ever seen with a proxy in, but if you entered it manually then it shouldn't be in there automatically.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    That's really odd then. The problems you were describing I've only ever seen with a proxy in, but if you entered it manually then it shouldn't be in there automatically.
    I'm guessing there's a difference between the networks (Vancouver and Edmonton)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast