Feedback Score

Lightbulb Heated iPhone 4, fast battery drain, mail related

I have had some weird stuff going on since I've owned the iPhone 4. Sometimes, it starts to drain fast, like 15% per hour fast. I also gets hot during said draining. I also found out that I sometimes stop getting work Exchange (Push) email messages. Regular mail like yahoo and POP keep working fine.

I finally tied all three together. About once every week, my exchange email for work stops responding and hangs at "connecting.." but never actually connects or gets any email. Now, not sure if this is something with the phone, iOS specific, jailbreak specific, or work exchange email specific, but it is the actual cause of the major battery drain. I can easily get it to work again after a reboot.

I have to let you know I'm jailbroken at 4.0.1, but don't have many apps on there (SBS settings, cydia, mail notifier, and that's pretty much it.) I suppose I could try to respring or kill the mail app via SBS, but since I'm in a hurry to get my email after not getting it for half the day I usually just reboot. Once that's done, it works fine for another week.

Now, there are some other reasons I SUSPECT are causing a minor accelerated battery drain and also warming up. This drain is less, but still high enough to annoy me (like 7-10% per hour.) It seems like if I don't completely kill the youtube, weather channel, yellow pages, or huffpost apps those will also start up trouble. Again, this could just be MY phone or JB or iOS related thing, but I thought I would let the world know just in case this kind of crap is driving them crazy.

Please post your experiences so we can compare. I was able to get rid of all these things by reboot or by app-killing via SBS. Not sure if you can really app-kill using a not JB phone, but I suppose you can use the app switcher to give that a try.

Phone
    iPhone 5C
    Feedback Score
    Has your office been having issues with exchange? If your office exchange system is overloaded or having connectivity issues it will cause the iPhone to waste a lot of power trying to reconnect to the PUSH session which is supposed to stay open and idle to conserve power.

Feedback Score
    No office issues out of the ordinary. It's like clockwork. Every week, Tues-thurs time frame - exchange hangs on the phone, after a reboot all is well and battery is back to normal.

There wouldn't happen to be any patches for this sort of stuff, would there?

Phone
    iPhone 6S (JB) with int'l unlimited plan
    Carrier
    AT&T since 1993
    Feedback Score
    I have also seen this on my 3GS running 4.0.1. It seems that the connection to the Exchange server gets "stuck," and the only ways to un-stick it is are to disable data or to kill the mail process. As soon as I am confident in a stable jb/unlock for 4.2, I will be making that move. Hopefully the problem will go away.

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I didn't have this problem specifically with exchange connection, though they would have been involved. When 4.0 came out, my carrier also did a carrier update at the same time. Around that time my phone started to lose it's data connection, but in an usual manner. It would still show as being on the 3G network and would usually show full bars, but no apps or processes were able to access the network. It turned out to be a problem with the APN. But prior to the cause being found and resolved, my battery was dying within a few hours. It seemed to be caused by the fact that as far as the OS was concerned, the phone had a solid network connection. So, any processes that needed network access would just keep trying and trying and trying. They would time out and try again. There would never be a 'network unavailable' error which might have prevented from processes from attempting to access the network. As soon as I updated the APN, my battery was good again.

I mention this, not because it is the same cause that you are having, but the problem with high battery drain when a process like Mail gets stuck in some loop trying and waiting for a connection to the mail server might have the same effect of sucking your battery down. I think your suspicion that a big part of you battery drain is caused by your problem with your Exchange server is dead on. Is it happening on 3G or wifi or both?
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T since 1993
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    I think your suspicion that a big part of you battery drain is caused by your problem with your Exchange server is dead on. Is it happening on 3G or wifi or both?
    Happens more often when moving in and out of WiFi connections. Disabling WiFi helps a lot...

Phone
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goestoeleven View Post
    Happens more often when moving in and out of WiFi connections. Disabling WiFi helps a lot...
    What carrier are you on? The problem I had that was caused by the Fido APN was trigger whenever moving from wifi to 3G. The phone would appear to be on 3G but it wasn't actually able to access the network. The only way to correct it at the time, was a network reset, reloading the carrier list or rebooting the phone. Changing to another Fido APN eliminated the problem.

I wonder if it is a similar problem you are seeing and that by disabling wifi, you are preventing hoping on and off of wifi and triggering the problem. When mail is stuck 'connecting' have you tried to access data through the browser?

Phone
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Are you using NotifiedPro?

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T since 1993
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    What carrier are you on?
    AT&T...

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog5145 View Post
    Are you using NotifiedPro?
    Nope, never heard of it...

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    Sweden Telia -
    Feedback Score
    had the same problem with my 3GS, but it seems to be working fine with iPhone 4!

Funny Pictures Blog - Funny pics, crazy videos and fun