Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Drive kiosk advises iPhone customer to sign up and roam all the time

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/21.572; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I went to the kiosk at Commercial Drive station to ask about fees. They're willing to activate without a fee for the SIM or for porting. I tried their demo SIM in my Nexus One but it didn't have data activated.

Anyway, while I was rebooting my phone with the Wind SIM back in it, I witnessed a ridiculous scene. A guy approached with his unlocked iPhone 3GS and asked if it would work. (Of course not.) The vendor encouraged him to try the demo SIM. Sure enough, it found only the roaming networks.
    The vendor then claimed that as long as you're inside the geographical coverage area, Mobilicity won't apply any roaming charges, so if it's working, use it, even data! And he encouraged the iPhone dude to sign up, because it doesn't matter if it's always roaming. I left before he closed the sale.

All I know is, this situation will end with either an unhappy customer or an unhappy vendor...

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hahaha, that's awesome!

I hate getting involved when I see craziness, but it would have been tough for me not to tell the guy the truth about it.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/5.1.22460/21.572; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I was certainly voicing my concerns, but the vendor was quite persistent.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    Bell (2009 - ...?)
    Feedback Score
    Was it the one at Commercial and Broadway in the skytrain station? If so, god, they bug me. They told some woman that since her Blackberry 9700 (with Bell) was HSPA it would work on their "HSPA 3.5 network". Uggh
    PHONEMODO
    I swap phones cause I can!

Isn't Hipstamatic just awesome?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneModo
    Was it the one at Commercial and Broadway in the skytrain station? If so, god, they bug me. They told some woman that since her Blackberry 9700 (with Bell) was HSPA it would work on their "HSPA 3.5 network". Uggh
    Yeah that guy was spouting all sorts of things about HSPA that weren't quite right. I wonder where the accountability ultimately is, when a vendor like this is misleading customers, whether maliciously or not?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Wind - For now
    Feedback Score
    So either these guys are quite possibly the stupidest vendors EVER. Or they are purposefully misleading people which reflects REALLY bad on Mobilicity.
    Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Mobilicity head office needs to crack down hard on vendors that act like this. Crap like this kills a company's reputation.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Lol... that's insane. And then, in a month, We'll hear about the Mobilicity bill of more than $1000 in the newspapers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    Lol... that's insane. And then, in a month, We'll hear about the Mobilicity bill of more than $1000 in the newspapers.
    don't have to worry about that. If the customer doesn't put any money in their wallet then they won't bleed.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Correct about the My Wallet thing.

I was still surprised the customer was able to make a roaming call from deep within the coverage zone. I suspect that because the network launch is so recent here, the Rogers towers are still accepting roaming calls in the city. But just like they did in Toronto, and just like WIND has done in all of their home zones, I expect at some point calls will be blocked on roaming when inside the home coverage zone.

Oh, and I asked the vendor how it is they got a demo SIM when nobody else has one. They responded that when WIND gave them a few phones and SIMs to use for giveaways with 6 months' free service, they just kept one for themselves and activated it to use as a demo. Frankly I don't blame them, because all locations should have a demo SIM and I'm sure it would help make more sales than a few giveaways.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I noticed that it went to EDGE when I was in Pacific Centre, I imeediately switched to UMTS only and Manual operator selection once I saw that. Not that it matters without any money in my wallet, but still.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Feedback Score
    Can you confirm they're not charging $20 for SIM?
    Everywhere else is...

Thanks

Feedback Score

wow

head over to

1st and commercial, il mercato,

the platinum dealer there is very professional, and i recognized him as an old Fido rep, very experienced, and im sure theyll toss a free sim there for activations, demo line is working there also

Feedback Score
    out of all the dealers i went and asked.. they were def. the most professional and answered all my questions.. not like the broadway station.. OMG! that guy is FAIL lol...

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Mobidealer and sam755 you guys are the same person...or from the same store....don't gotta promote your own store like that....lol...join same date and same amount of post....not sure if I trust you guys now....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast