Thread: New Handset Unlocking Policy for Fido

Device(s)
    SE Xperia X10
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

New Handset Unlocking Policy for Fido

Handset Unlocking Policy
    Effective December 14, we’ll be changing our policy on device unlocking to allow customers the opportunity to unlock their devices for a $50 fee.

This new policy applies to phones, smartphones, and rocket sticks depending on the manufacturer’s restrictions. Customers purchasing a new device or qualifying for a HUP are also eligible to have their previous phone unlocked.

To have a device unlocked a customer must:

Have an account in good standing.
    Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period
    Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history
    Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)
    How can a customer have their phone unlocked?

The unlock service is available through the Customer Care team (1-888-481-3436)

What are the risks for unlocking devices?

Some features on the phone/device might be compromised by the unlocking and could affect its performance on our network. Our devices are optimized to work on the network for which they were purchased. Not all settings will work outside the carrier that certified the device.
    Warranty may become void by some manufacturers if unlocked outside the Rogers/Fido policy or software has been tampered with.
    In regard to our wireless handsets, customers have the added benefit of our Fido Repair and Loaner service which will help cover the cost if their device is defective.
    If a customer brings in a phone for service, please:

Ask the customer if their phone has been unlocked; if yes, was it unlocked within the Rogers/Fido policy?
    If unlocked within the Rogers/Fido policy and the software has not been tampered with then there is no impact on the warranty. Note that if unlocked outside the Rogers/Fidopolicy or the software has been tampered with then the warranty may be void.
    Advise the customer the phone can potentially be re-locked as part of the repair process and if they wish to have it unlocked again, the policy and charge applies.
    In order for a customer to take advantage of either the Fido Repair and Loaner service, the customer’s device brand must correspond to the currently active CTN (i.e. Fido CTN cannot be sent for repair with Rogers branded hardware and vice versa).
    All Hardware service transactions where the CTN brand does not correspond to the hardware brand will have to be processed manually. Customer will have to provide proof of purchase in order to proceed with manual In Warranty Repair.
    Fee Breakdown

Province
    Fee
    Tax
    Total

Alberta
    $50.00
    $2.50
    $52.50

British Columbia
    $50.00
    $6.00
    $56.00

Manitoba
    $50.00
    $6.00
    $56.00

New Brunswick
    $50.00
    $6.50
    $56.50

Newfoundland and Labrador
    $50.00
    $6.50
    $56.50

Nova Scotia
    $50.00
    $7.50
    $57.50

Ontario
    $50.00
    $6.50
    $56.50

Prince Edward Island
    $50.00
    $7.75
    $57.75

Québec
    $50.00
    $6.44
    $56.44

Saskatchewan
    $50.00
    $5.00
    $55.00

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    would the Iphone count to be unlocked

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Although I think the price is on the high side (since third party companies can unlock most phones for <= $20), this is a step in the right direction.

Personally, I think that given the conditions outlined by Fido, it should be free considering that you've purchased the phone/device either unsubsidized or you've already finished your commitment period. In fact, once a consumer pays the ECF/DECF, they too should be able to get the phone/device unlocked for free.

The only time I think that the carrier shouldn't be obligated to unlock the phone for free is if the consumer has still not paid back the phone/device subsidy. That's my personal opinion.

The part about some features on the phone/device might be compromised by the unlocking and could affect its performance on our network is laughable. We aren't talking about unbranding the phone (which contains the "optimization" and carrier branding) that comes with the phone. We are simply talking about removing the SIM carrier lock.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    Unlocked iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO for Canada
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dil_king View Post
    would the Iphone count to be unlocked
    Very very good question.
    Not that I would jump carriers but am going to the us quite a bit next yr and usually had to jailbreak then unlock or use an old phone.
    My Plans (Rogers): Biz Share Flex $80 (unlim stuff w 4gig) + $35 second line.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I wonder who they'll be buying their codes from LOL

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Advise the customer the phone can potentially be re-locked as part of the repair process and if they wish to have it unlocked again, the policy and charge applies.
    That is BS. Though for the iPhone, with the way the unlocking is done and recorded, it shouldn't be a problem (assuming this adds it to Apple's whitelist properly).

And I can see no reason that this would not apply to the iPhone. Apple locks iPhones only based on the conditions of their contract with the carriers. They are many carriers that either sell iPhones unlocked or provide an unlocking service, so if Rogers or Fido try to claim that Apple is not allowing it, it is clearly a lie. We will see how honest they are, I guess.

Overall, this is good news, though $50 seems steep for them to unlock an unsubsidized phone. So now, if you want an unlocked iPhone 4, you can buy it from Fido for $649 + $25 gouge fee + $50 unlock fee = $724 or buy it straight from Apple for $659.

I notice the policy has no provisions for customer that cancel their accounts and pay the ECF/DECF. They too would have then paid off their subsidy but would be leaving Fido with a locked phone.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    The only time I think that the carrier shouldn't be obligated to unlock the phone for free is if the consumer has still not paid back the phone/device subsidy. That's my personal opinion.
    Totally agree with that. Imagine if banks were allowed to prevent you from getting renewing your mortgage with another bank simply because you had originally held a mortgage with them. Once you have paid for the phone fully and it is yours, they shouldn't even be allowed to maintain the lock. Locking is simply a why to force to you to continue to use their service even though you own the phone outright and owe them nothing. I actually don't think they should be allowed to lock them in the first place. We are already bound to their service through our contracts. The subsidy will be repaid through the term or through the ECF, so locking them is unnecessary and simply causes inconvenience to the consumer. Taking an extra $50 to remove the lock is then pretty close to extortion.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    That is BS. Though for the iPhone, with the way the unlocking is done and recorded, it shouldn't be a problem (assuming this adds it to Apple's whitelist properly).

And I can see no reason that this would not apply to the iPhone. Apple locks iPhones only based on the conditions of their contract with the carriers. They are many carriers that either sell iPhones unlocked or provide an unlocking service, so if Rogers or Fido try to claim that Apple is not allowing it, it is clearly a lie. We will see how honest they are, I guess.

Overall, this is good news, though $50 seems steep for them to unlock an unsubsidized phone. So now, if you want an unlocked iPhone 4, you can buy it from Fido for $649 + $25 gouge fee + $50 unlock fee = $724 or buy it straight from Apple for $659.

I notice the policy has no provisions for customer that cancel their accounts and pay the ECF/DECF. They too would have then paid off their subsidy but would be leaving Fido with a locked phone.
    If Apple and Rogers choose to allow the unlocking of iPhones, and yes, it is a two way agreement and would be the first Apple unlocking policy for providers in North America, then it may be worthwhile for some to buy from Fido as they may have enough Fido dollars to discount the retail price. I know several people with $300-$500 in Fido Dollars. Great price for an unlocked iPhone 4.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    If Apple and Rogers choose to allow the unlocking of iPhones, and yes, it is a two way agreement and would be the first Apple unlocking policy for providers in North America, then it may be worthwhile for some to buy from Fido as they may have enough Fido dollars to discount the retail price. I know several people with $300-$500 in Fido Dollars. Great price for an unlocked iPhone 4.
    True enough. I don't think most people have that many Fido dollars, however. I guess if you have at least $65 in FD it is worthwhile. I can't remember, does using Fido Dollars mandate that you renew your contract?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ^Data contract yes, voice contract remains untouched.

And let me reiterate, Apple does not unlock the iPhone for any North American provider. It would be great if someone with library access can confirm if iPhone has been excluded internally or not, like on the Bell documentation regarding unlocking.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ^Data contract yes, voice contract remains untouched.
    So, you can buy it, get it unlocked and use your Fido Dollars to make up for the higher prices Fido charges, but end up contractually locked anyway.

And let me reiterate, Apple does not unlock the iPhone for any North American provider. It would be great if someone with library access can confirm if iPhone has been excluded internally or not, like on the Bell documentation regarding unlocking.
    Apple doesn't unlock locked iPhones for any carrier in the world. That is entirely up to the carriers to allow and provide.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ^Many carriers around the world unlock the iPhone for their customers by submitting the IMEI to Apple to be added to the whitelist. This is done via an agreement that those carriers have with Apple, perhaps because of laws in those countries. It is Apple that performs the unlocking process though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    Not even then. By purchasing at the subsidized price you've locked yourself into a contractual commitment with a requirement to pay penalties should you break the contract, which are often in far excess of the subsidy granted. Given that contracts do not come with lower service fees (except maybe through retention, but this doesn't apply to new customers) the phone subsidy is the sole incentive to sign a contract. It also "justifies" the ECF/DECF penalties. Any restrictions on use of the phone which is now your property is not, in my opinion, reasonable.

I can't think of many good reasons why phones should be locked at all. I suspect it's to stifle the market for 2nd hand phones in order to use exclusive phone models as an incentive to choose/switch specific carriers and to encourage use of roaming, which is likely marked up for profit by both roaming partners.

I personally think we should have legislation, if not to force carriers to offer free unlocking, to at least make it illegal to void warranties simply for unlocking a phone through a 3rd party. Even unbranding should not void a warranty unless there is specific evidence it was the cause of a hardware failure (such as through overclocking). But unlocking through subsidy codes cannot conceivably damage phone hardware and therefore should have no impact on warranty.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ^Many carriers around the world unlock the iPhone for their customers by submitting the IMEI to Apple to be added to the whitelist. This is done via an agreement that those carriers have with Apple, perhaps because of laws in those countries. It is Apple that performs the unlocking process though.
    OK, rephrased, Apple doesn't prevent any carrier in North America from offering unlocking services for the iPhone. That is entirely up to the carrier to allow and provide. In some countries it is because of local laws, in others it is simply the choice of the carriers to provide the service or not. Apple will process the requests from any carrier that allows it. Allowing unlocking by the carrier is a carrier decision not an Apple decision and Apple won't do it unless the carrier allows it.

Up to this point, one could say that Apple doesn't unlock iphones for any carrier in North America simply because no carriers in North America have allowed them to do so, yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tinaa View Post
    Not even then. By purchasing at the subsidized price you've locked yourself into a contractual commitment with a requirement to pay penalties should you break the contract, which are often in far excess of the subsidy granted. Given that contracts do not come with lower service fees (except maybe through retention, but this doesn't apply to new customers) the phone subsidy is the sole incentive to sign a contract. It also "justifies" the ECF/DECF penalties. Any restrictions on use of the phone which is now your property is not, in my opinion, reasonable.

I can't think of many good reasons why phones should be locked at all. I suspect it's to stifle the market for 2nd hand phones in order to use exclusive phone models as an incentive to choose/switch specific carriers and to encourage use of roaming, which is likely marked up for profit by both roaming partners.

I personally think we should have legislation, if not to force carriers to offer free unlocking, to at least make it illegal to void warranties simply for unlocking a phone through a 3rd party. Even unbranding should not void a warranty unless there is specific evidence it was the cause of a hardware failure (such as through overclocking). But unlocking through subsidy codes cannot conceivably damage phone hardware and therefore should have no impact on warranty.
    I would agree. I think the main reason is to ensure that any revenue ever generated from using the device only be paid to them. While the ECF/DECF or completion of your contract would more than allow them to recoup the subsidy, they want a way to force you to continue to use their services even if you are not contractually obligated to do so, if you choose to continue to use what is now completely your property. Seems to be a restriction of trade, in that they prevent you from using your own property with a competitor. Also seems it might fall under illegal tying/bundling to force consumers to use their services with their own personal property simply because it was purchased from them (and paid for in full). And adding a functional lock and then charging a fee to unlock it seems like it should fall under anti-racketeering laws. How is this different than when certain people tell a business they will allow them to operate freely in their neighbourhood for a 'small' fee? You can use your property (or run your business) as long as you pay them for the right to do so.

There was a bill submitted that would mandate unlocking once subsidies were repaid or contracts expired, but I think it died in favour of a much more carrier friendly bill.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast