Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Could 2011 introduce "Publicity" ????

Device(s)
    LG Optimus Black (in White)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus - coporate plan
    Feedback Score

Could 2011 introduce "Publicity" ????

source: mobileSyrup
    I cracked & signed up with Telus. I couldnt resist the Free Phone, $300 airtime credit, and EPP ($20+tax : 350mins, unlimited early evngs /wknds, cd, vm, unlimited NA txts, NO SAFS or 911) With the $300 credit its like having a free year of phone service.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it would be very difficult to merge. None of the current Mobi phones support PM's band so that would kinda make it useless no?

Someone on Mobilesyrup said:
    "Still a guy I know in Montreal who works for Atlas T claims he heard a rumor that VT in Quebec are already discussing merging with Mobi in some way/sharing roaming and that maybe makes the most sense…"

If that happens, this would get very interesting and well played move by Mobilicity. For some reason, Mobilicity seems to be the most business savvy. I think their strategy is, don't worry about buying all the spectrum all over Canada which costs millions of dollars to buy and set up towers but use a portion of that cash to set up roaming agreements which is a lot smarter and a lot cheaper. Imagine Mobilicity setting up agreements with Videotron, Shaw,...., they could essentially have nationwide coverage without having to spend all the money to buy spectrum and towers.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G + BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    No one wants to merge with a company like Public Mobile, their business is worthless.

Mobilicity/Wind maybe.
    Profile Assist for BlackBerry - Free for a limited time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S/Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    No one wants to merge with a company like Public Mobile, their business is worthless.

Mobilicity/Wind maybe.
    I give PM another year before they go flop and their spectrum will just dangle there like a hangman's noose. The spectrum supports no decent handsets sporting a new OS' like Win 7, iOS or Android. The Death knell has been sounded for PM. RIP

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G + BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    I think they want to go big in the next auction supposedly.. If they are still around

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    WIND/Mobilicity and Videotron should just do a network sharing agreement. You can't sell in a market you don't have spectrum for, but you can mutual roam on each other's network like Bell and Telus. It would make all 3 more competitive.

University of British Columbia and Fort McMurray, AB
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They should be legislated in the same manner as the banks so they are not allowed to merge. Mergers are bad for competition, bad for the consumer and generally bad for jobs. They bought this spectrum to compete, not to buy it up and sell as soon as they possibly can. If they can't make it, let them go bankrupt and the federal government can sell the spectrum again to someone who really wants to run a business, not just a short-term investment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    I think they want to go big in the next auction supposedly.. If they are still around
    Unless they plan on paying for spectrum with their crappy chinese phones I don't think they'll make it. The big next auction is in 2012 i think and public is already dying.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TCom View Post
    Unless they plan on paying for spectrum with their crappy chinese phones I don't think they'll make it. The big next auction is in 2012 i think and public is already dying.
    They essentially already gave up. They have to. Mobilicity's pricing makes them redundant, and now with WIND matching them there's really no reason to go with PM.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icemasta View Post
    For some reason, Mobilicity seems to be the most business savvy.
    That's a very debatable position.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    I think that if Public can hold on long enough for LTE handsets to hit the market, they may yet have a fighting chance. PCS (*including* G block) is one of the bands being considered for LTE, as well as AWS and the to-be-opened 700 MHz band. If the hardware is out there which can make use of both AWS and G block, then suddenly the new carriers have a reason to be interested.

If they can't hold out that long, I'm sure one of the new carriers would be happy to buy up the dead scraps for cheap.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist View Post
    I think that if Public can hold on long enough for LTE handsets to hit the market, they may yet have a fighting chance. PCS (*including* G block) is one of the bands being considered for LTE, as well as AWS and the to-be-opened 700 MHz band. If the hardware is out there which can make use of both AWS and G block, then suddenly the new carriers have a reason to be interested.

If they can't hold out that long, I'm sure one of the new carriers would be happy to buy up the dead scraps for cheap.
    Can you post a source where the G band is included in any LTE specs?

I looked at Motorola's LTE Band list and G band falls outside of the covered bands. For ref, PCS G is 1910-1915 and 1990-1995 MHz

http://business.motorola.com/experie...-spectrum.html

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_melgin View Post
    That's a very debatable position.
    I think based on the revenue and backing they have and what there accomplishing now, I think they are in comparison to other entrants. Since they don't have millions to throw away on towers and spectrum, by reaching long-term agreements with other companies to roam on their networks to establish a "larger network", it can pay off until they get more revenue to expand themselves. I mean not everything is perfect, but their doing many things right.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The problem with PM is their CDMA technology. I don't understand that choice since even Bell and Telus went HSPA in order to get better handsets (which includes Data)

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    The problem with PM is their CDMA technology. I don't understand that choice since even Bell and Telus went HSPA in order to get better handsets (which includes Data)
    It's not a choice. If you pick G band, you only have CDMA equipment available to you. There are exactly ZERO GSM/HSPA handsets and transceivers that work on this spectrum. Not that you couldn't throw money at it and have custom made chips... but that's not exactly cheap. There goes any economy of scales.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast