Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Could 2011 introduce "Publicity" ????

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    The way things are, there is no reason for anyone to buy or merge with Public Mobility. There are some companies in other parts of Canada that also bought some G-block spectrum, but they can do some roaming agreements whenever they get around to starting a business.

The only companies I can see buying Public would be one of the Big 3, and only to get rid of a competitor, like Rogers did with Fido years ago. But even that makes little sense. At least with Fido, Rogers got spectrum and towers they could use right away and created a monopoly for GSM service in Canada. Other than eliminating the smallest of the competition, the buyer would get their clients, but most of them would probably leave right away. Makes no sense.

That being said - why does everyone think that Public is going to merge/fold/be bought-out? First off, they spent WAY less in the spectrum auction and have far less debt than either Wind or Mobilicity. Second, they work in Montreal where the competition is less than in Toronto. Sure, I have no intention of being a Public client cause I need a smartphone, but there's a lot of people that are not like me and Public Mobile works for them.

The fact is that buying Public is of no use to any company, and even though Public has the least amount of subscribers it also has the least amount of debt. Wind spent just under $500 million on spectrum while Public spent $13 million (and Mobilicity was somewhere in between). It sounds like Public can have 1/10 as many clients as Wind or Mobilicity and still end up being in better shape.

Plus, why does everyone hate Public so much? So they only sell dumbphones made from no-name manufacturers - who cares? I'm probably never going to be their client, but I hope they do well because more competition in the marketplace can only help consumers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ang View Post
    Plus, why does everyone hate Public so much? So they only sell dumbphones made from no-name manufacturers - who cares? I'm probably never going to be their client, but I hope they do well because more competition in the marketplace can only help consumers.
    Fanboys on this forum have nothing better to do than to trash talk the competition. I can bet that none of them are active share holders of any of these companies, so it literally doesn't affect them at all if a company makes certain business decisions.

- Dave spent $243,159,000 on the auction
    - Public spent $52,385,077
    - Wind spent $442,099,000

- Wind spent almost as much on just southern ontario spectrum than public + mobi combined

Source and Totals for sources

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artbungler View Post

- Dave spent $243,159,000 on the auction
    - Public spent $52,385,077
    - Wind spent $442,099,000

- Wind spent almost as much on just southern ontario spectrum than public + mobi combined

Source and Totals for sources
    Not sure what your point is with those number. Gold costs more than silver. And 2 times as much gold is going to costs you twice as much. WIND got 20 Mhz in Southern ON for $279, Mobilicity got 10 Mhz for not much less than 1/2 of that price.

And what PM got isn't values by many companies, otherwise they would not have been able to get it for $50 million. What has changed since the 2008 spectrum auction that would make more companies interested. Certainly the companies that currently owns the G band in other areas in Canada would be, but beyond them, I'm not sure who else would.

I think the original intention of this thread was to speculate what would happen now since Public Mobile's CEO was the one that called for merger. It's all a game of chicken for these new carriers and it looks like PM is the first to flinch. I don't think anyone would disagree that, long term, all 3 can't exists.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    Not sure what your point is with those number. Gold costs more than silver. And 2 times as much gold is going to costs you twice as much. WIND got 20 Mhz in Southern ON for $279, Mobilicity got 10 Mhz for not much less than 1/2 of that price.

And what PM got isn't values by many companies, otherwise they would not have been able to get it for $50 million. What has changed since the 2008 spectrum auction that would make more companies interested. Certainly the companies that currently owns the G band in other areas in Canada would be, but beyond them, I'm not sure who else would.

I think the original intention of this thread was to speculate what would happen now since Public Mobile's CEO was the one that called for merger. It's all a game of chicken for these new carriers and it looks like PM is the first to flinch. I don't think anyone would disagree that, long term, all 3 can't exists.
    Read the post I quoted. That's why I put the numbers in.
    Last edited by artbungler; 12-26-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: clarity

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You know whats funny is that everyone keeps talking about Wind being 20Mhz vs. 10Mhz with Mobilicity but from what I can see on the link posted above is that Wind only bought 20Mhz in Southern Ontario and NWT and the rest is 10Mhz. What I'm trying to say is that in every other area, Mobi and Wind have the same amount of spectrum to use so the spectrum claim is only valid in Southern Ontario.
    Personal Plans:
    Plan 1: - Virgin Mobile 10GB BYOP - $54

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I stand corrected in regards to the amount Public spent on spectrum, I don't know why the $13 million figure was stuck in my head.

Can the Big 3 and the 'New 3' survive in the Toronto market? Maybe, but things have to change. Who knows what sort of financial position Public is in? I figured they would be doing ok, but if it was their CEO that was the first to mention merger, than maybe I'm wrong. It looks like both Wind and Mobilicity are teaming up with international partners eager to get a foothold into Canada - Wind Canada with Wind, and Mobilicity with T-Mobile (my guess). If Wind can keep getting international money, and if Mobilicity can team up with T-Mobile (since they have been raiding T-Mobile's surplus bin since Day 1), then we can have at least 5 players. And if Public can continue getting enough clients to survive, why not let them survive?

The more people that leave the Big 3 and go to ANY of the new entrants, the greater the possibility that at least some of the new entrants will survive. You figure that between Wind, Mobi, Public, and Videotron, they probably have around 400,000 clients, maybe by this time next year the new guys will have well over a million or even 1.5 million? Seeing that there are only around 24 million cellphones in Canada, that's not too bad for a bunch of startups.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by callmejim View Post
    So in your mind the things I mentioned above have nothing to do with being business savvy. You sure are a wind fanboy.
    I have nothing against Mobilicity, and I'm critical of Wind where they deserve criticism. That's not fanboyism, but thanks for playing. My preference currently is for Wind, and if my preference ever changes, I will gladly switch. That's the beauty of no contracts.

Meanwhile, you refer to Wind as windless, and you take every opportunity to take a swipe at them. All the while you promote Mobilicity to the extreme and get defensive whenever someone makes a critical comment about them, no matter how deserved. If that's not the very definition of being a fanboy, I don't know what is.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    You are just a wind troll. I am just questioning your comprehension of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by callmejim View Post
    So in your mind the things I mentioned above have nothing to do with being business savvy. You sure are a wind fanboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_melgin View Post
    I have nothing against Mobilicity, and I'm critical of Wind where they deserve criticism. That's not fanboyism, but thanks for playing. My preference currently is for Wind, and if my preference ever changes, I will gladly switch. That's the beauty of no contracts.

Meanwhile, you refer to Wind as windless, and you take every opportunity to take a swipe at them. All the while you promote Mobilicity to the extreme and get defensive whenever someone makes a critical comment about them, no matter how deserved. If that's not the very definition of being a fanboy, I don't know what is.
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_melgin View Post
    The quote was who is the most business savvy, not who is the "best", which I still think is open for debate. I think both Wind and Mobilicity are fairly business savvy. What you call imitation I call competition, and being quick to react in the face of competition shows, well, good buisness savvy.

You've discredited yourself with "windless." Their name is "Wind." You can offer criticism without name calling (kindergarten tactic, which I've accused you of before) and blind fanaticism.

As for the topic at hand, I think Public Mobile was sunk before they even began, and I think a lot of people thought as much. They have no where to grow with that spectrum in terms of features and handsets.
    All my comments are my views and opinions only.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Z30, Blackberry Q10, Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    The problem with PM is their CDMA technology. I don't understand that choice since even Bell and Telus went HSPA in order to get better handsets (which includes Data)
    It is mainly for cheaper handsets
    PM has never sold themselves as an HSPA alternative

And there are lots of Chinese brand CDMA phones out there (11 million is more subs than any Canadian brand)

There even is a CDMA iPhone being released Q3 2011
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    The problem with PM is their CDMA technology. I don't understand that choice since even Bell and Telus went HSPA in order to get better handsets (which includes Data)
    Public Mobile is the only network in the world that uses the PCS G-Band, all of their phones are specially made for them. And the only manufacturer of PCS G-Band chipsets for cellphones was Qualcomm, who only made them for CDMA devices.

Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    There even is a CDMA iPhone being released Q3 2011
    Rumours, Rumours, Rumours!!!!! There is absolutely no valid proof.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by v3inew View Post
    Rumours, Rumours, Rumours!!!!! There is absolutely no valid proof.
    there is a CDMA iPhone being released for Verizon. When I don't know. There were reports of CDMA engineers being hired by Apple. Why? To make a CDMA iPhone.
    Last edited by Gaunt911; 12-27-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: ad

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    If there is a CDMA iPhone, Public Mobile would still not be able to use it, just like all the other 1000s of CDMA phones that cannot work on the G band today.

They chose CDMA because that's the only technology that works with their spectrum. So it's a choice like most people would choose not to have 3 arms.

Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Just because Apple hired a bunch of CDMA engineers has little to do with Apple actually selling a CDMA iPhone. Hiring the engineers will allow them to make a CDMA iPhone prototype. SELLING it to Verizon has everything to do with money. Period. If it's more profitable for Apple to continue to only sell it through AT&T, then it doesn't matter how many CDMA engineers they have. Heck, they could make a CDMA prototype with the sole intention of threatening AT&T by saying they CAN sell it to Verizon.

Hiring CDMA engineers is good business sense, at the very least it can be used as a backup plan if things go sour with AT&T. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has made CDMA iPhone prototypes ever since the beginning. Remember, Apple made Intel-compatible versions of it's operating system for YEARS before actually switching to Intel processors, and if it made business sense to stay with the PowerPC chipset, those intel-compatible OSes would still never see the light of day.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaunt911 View Post
    there is a CDMA iPhone being released for Verizon. When I don't know. There were reports of CDMA engineers being hired by Apple. Why? To make a CDMA iPhone.
    CDMA iPad? How do you know it's for Verizon if your sure there is such thing as a CDMA iPhone?

Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    i don't think any of you are thinking properly.
    you have to look at PM the way rogers looked at fido back in the day.
    small carrier using a new network... old technology that can be converted.
    how many subs?.. nice.
    how much invested? nice.
    how much to reshape that? even nicer.

i mean ya they use g band. but people they have an entire spectrum for a ridiculous price. do you know what possibilities can come out of that with what they have saved over the others?
    let's not forget gband uses the EXACT same equipment as CDMA with modified firmware. that's it.
    other then that everything else is the same. this means if they merge with anyone all they gotta do is bring it together and drop in some new hardware and bam migrate to LTE and save the g spectrum for something bigger.
    public is using 1xrtt cdma and g band is a PCS band.
    let's take a look at what investors would be looking at.
    how much has PM spent over the others?
    how much have they made?
    how much financial backing do they have?
    how much spectrum do they control?
    the argument over g band is very nill at a business stand point.
    TMO ignored everyone with the whole AWS argument and so did SPRINT and NEXTEL.
    now look at those companies... still standing.
    if a merge were to happen networks would merge and/or convert...
    financial backing would strengthen... and given what PM has spent and saved...they got lots still.
    i mean if verizon can take the mediaflo spectrum and intend to use it for LTE why can't others do the same with gband?
    anyone in business knows that PM is still a player. as long as there is demand for affordable cell service PM can stay alive.
    and right now the Canadian market is very ripe.
    350 Weekday Minutes
    (200 + 100 Bonus Weekday Minutes + 50 Bonus Weekday Minutes)
    Unlimited Evenings & Weekends @ 5PM
    Unlimited Network Calling
    Unlimited Incoming Calls
    Voicemail
    Call Display
    WhoCalled Service
    Call Forward/Transfer
    Unlimited Picture or Video Msgs
    Unlimited Text Messages
    BlackBerry (BIS) Svc 500MB
    1000 Anytime CDN LD Mins
    Detailed Billing