Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is Wind being sold? Is Orascom out? Who are the new owners? What's happening?

Feedback Score

Exclamation Is Wind being sold? Is Orascom out? Who are the new owners? What's happening?

Does anyone have some reputable sources where it says that wind's canada branch is being sold? There are talks of some deal going down.

I thought Naguib Sawiris was going to make Wind truly successful, but now it looks like he's selling it. He gave an interview to the globe and mail just a couple of months ago, heres the link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1690690/

By the way, this interview has nothing to do with the Present (DECEMBER 2010) talks about the Russian deal with Orascom. I'm just citing it to show how enthusiastic he was about making wind successful but now releasing some stake in the shares.

Here are some hightlights from his interview:

“We go where people don’t dare to go,” the executive chairman of Orascom Telecom Holding SAE and Weather Investments SpA told The Globe and Mail in an exclusive interview. “We’re crazy, adventurous.”
    Mr. Sawiris said the Big Three Canadian telecom players are “a joke,” and that he would never invest in them because they are “too big, too slow.”
    “I have been offered by two of them to buy me out at a very significant profit,” Mr. Sawiris said. “But that means I’m a broker, not an industrialist. It’s against my saga, against my history. I’m not the kind of guy who goes out for the money. It’s about success. And this, I would consider it as a bribe.”
    The Egyptian billionaire said it’s inevitable that Wind will acquire Canada’s two other fledgling wireless firms, Mobilicity and Public Mobile, which he says have no hope against the incumbents. “They will be dead on arrival,” Mr. Sawiris said. “Wind should be the consolidator of all the smaller players here. We are going to be open to that. We are not interested in smaller players that are only coming with cash, or the licenses they paid cash for. We want them to succeed and have some subscribers. Because we can’t do the job alone.”

I thought he was going to see wind become truly successful, so why is it being sold?
    Last edited by iamthelemonking; 12-27-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Pretty sure you have read the article incorrectly. If anything it says Wind will be the purchaser, not the purchased.
    W/ Accolc set to 15... i could get in some trouble ^_~

Feedback Score
    i'm sorry, but no where in that article does it indicate wind is being sold... it's the opposite in fact. Not sure where you are getting it's getting sold. Even your bolded quote said he was offered to be bought by the big 3 but rejected...

the guy wants to take over the world in telecom, not make a quick few million from rogers.

Device(s)
    Android Dev Phone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthelemonking View Post
    Haven't heard any news of wind being sold.
    Then why did you start this thread?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SnapsGQ View Post
    Pretty sure you have read the article incorrectly. If anything it says Wind will be the purchaser, not the purchased.
    Quote Originally Posted by J__ View Post
    i'm sorry, but no where in that article does it indicate wind is being sold... it's the opposite in fact. Not sure where you are getting it's getting sold. Even your bolded quote said he was offered to be bought by the big 3 but rejected...

the guy wants to take over the world in telecom, not make a quick few million from rogers.
    This interview is old. I'm referring to the present new deals being made from some russian company to control wind. I quoted the old interview to signify that the man wanted to be successful but now I think he's selling it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j0no View Post
    Then why did you start this thread?
    because I've heard rumors circulating these forums, but have not heard anything official.

Feedback Score
    Most of things you will read here are speculations and rants.

Unless something becomes official, all rumors should be treated as what there are: RUMORS

Device(s)
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    The transaction has not been fully approved yet. However board of directors voted in favor.
    http://www.vimpelcom.com/news/press.wbp

Device(s)
    OnePlus One
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo - $55 Unltd 5GB (2014-????)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mavago View Post
    Most of rockjock that you will read here are speculations and rants.

Unless something becomes official, all rockjock should be treated as what there are: ROCKJOCK
    Fixed.

Device(s)
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Name:  Picture 2.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  200.1 KB
    This is interesting, but a bit complicated.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In other words, VimpelCom is interested in merging with Orascom. Nothing is happening to WIND/Globalive.

Device(s)
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ~David View Post
    In other words, VimpelCom is interested in merging with Orascom. Nothing is happening to WIND/Globalive.
    Not really.

Device(s)
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Another interesting article about VimpelCom. Translated from Russian
    The company had previously reported that the closing of the transaction is expected in the 1 st quarter of 2011

As reported by Itar-Tass, in early October 2010, VimpelCom Ltd has concluded with the holding company Weather Investments / controlled by Egyptian billionaire Najib Sawiris / trade to acquire the Egyptian Orascom Telecom Holding and the Italian mobile operator Wind. As a result of the transaction, VimpelCom will own a 51.7 per cent Weather Orascom Telecom Holding and 100 percent of Wind. Owner of 74.6 pct Weather is a family N. Sawiris. At the same time of the transaction are excluded assets Orascom Telecom of Egypt and North Korea. At the time of the transaction Orascom Telecom managed network operators in Algeria / Djezzy /, Pakistan / Mobilink /, Egypt / Mobinil /, Tunisia / Tunisiana /, Bangladesh / Banglalink /, North Korea / Koryolink /. Also holding owns an indirect stake in Globalive Wireless / operator of the Canadian wireless service provider Wind Mobile /. In addition, the holding company has indirect interest in Telecel Zimbabwe / Zimbabwe / as well as through its subsidiary Telecel Globe operates in Burundi, Central African Republic and Namibia.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
    Another interesting article about VimpelCom.
    Thanks for the updates.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I bought Wind. HUGE changes coming soon!!!!!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast