Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Motorola Droid on Pageplus Guide - Getting the Most of Your Limited Data

Device(s)
    LG Lucid
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Well, I played with the data management and it looks like it will work to a degree. It gives you the option to "kill" an app that is trying to access data from the cell network, only allowing it to run if you are connected to wi-fi. But it does not allow you to stop everything. On my Droid classic the "Motorola Apps" ,"Google Services", "Andriod OS", and "Streaming apps" are the only items that I can't restrict to wi-fi. Everything else has that option. And there is a nice app interface that allows you to turn the access for thes apps on and off. So it looks like it may be a easy to use alternate to rooting and droidwalling.
    Timothy Barr

Device(s)
    Samsung smooth
    Carrier(s)
    pageplus
    Feedback Score
    that did not root my phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jswick View Post
    that did not root my phone
    What didn't?

Feedback Score
    Warning to Droid X users - If you download and install the 4.5.621 update ,you will lose rooting and rooting is blocked. Consequently, you lose ability to download apps for rooted phones including Droid Wall which is very important for limiting data usage on Page Plus Cellular . Don't let the update happen . One can prevent the update by using Titanium Backup . If you are already stuck with .621, there appears to be a work around but it is not a simple "one click" process. Search the web for - " droid x 4.5.621 root " , " droid x .621 root " etc.

see -

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/03/19...vice-trickery/

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gi...21-update.html

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/19318-imp...system-update/

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...-problems.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z5lKtBDek8
    Last edited by bamx2; 03-29-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bamx2 View Post
    Warning to Droid X users - If you download and install the 4.5.621 update ,you will lose rooting and rooting is blocked. Consequently, you lose ability to download apps for rooted phones including Droid Wall which is very important for limiting data usage on Page Plus Cellular . Don't let the update happen . One can prevent the update by using Titanium Backup . If you are already stuck with .621, there appears to be a work around but it is not a simple "one click" process. Search the web for - " droid x 4.5.621 root " , " droid x .621 root " etc.
    Note this will also happen (probably already HAS happened) with Droid 2 Globals and update .629. You will loose root and any attempt to SBF back to prior releases WILL brick the phone. The phone will still work fine (actually, better then before), you just will not and can not root.

BTW, I had Titanium Backup Pro running and the update still took. <shrug>

Feedback Score
    That's too bad . I wonder what happened ? Maybe the TiBu settings were not set exactly right ?

I wonder what programs like Droid Wall are out there that do not require a rooted phone.

"BTW, I had Titanium Backup Pro running and the update still took. <shrug>"

Feedback Score
    That's too bad . I wonder what happened ? Maybe the TiBu settings were not set exactly right ?

I wonder what programs like Droid Wall are out there that do not require a rooted phone.

"BTW, I had Titanium Backup Pro running and the update still took. <shrug>"
    Titanium backup by itself does not prevent the upgrade. Apparently you can use TiBu to freeze the updater package so that the phone doesn't update. I could not figure out what to freeze, so I used the method:
    Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.apk to BlurUpdater_VZW.apk.bak.
    Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.odex to BlurUpdater_VZW.odex.bak.

You need a file manager that can do root stuff. I used Shady File Manager (free).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxman1 View Post
    Titanium backup by itself does not prevent the upgrade.
    Yes
    I found out after the fact the files whose names needed to change to prevent auto update.

But, no worries, really. I am used to running the phone with 3G data disabled and only using the smart of the smartphone on WiFi. As a matter of fact, for some reason, data seems to have been disabled on my account. I do not intend to re-enable it

Device(s)
    Motorola X Pure (3rd Gen), Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Selectel Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_rm View Post
    The phone will still work fine (actually, better then before), you just will not and can not root.
    I lost my rooting with that update on my Droid 2 Global- Super User is still sitting there, Droid Wall etc. and can't be uninstalled or removed. Fortunately the data usage I have had since then has not increased dramatically and I do not think I will have any overages, but it definitely is still higher. I also have noticed that I have much worst battery performance (battery less than 9 months old according to the date.) I used to rarely go down to 60 percent even on heavy usage days. Now regularly I am seeing it switch to an orange battery status in the evening and plugging it in after dinner. Noticed also that I had maybe a few rare occasions with the phone running with Root under the old firmware, where I'd have to take the battery out because it locked up or was doing something strange. Now since I lost rooting- I am having to reset and pull the battery much more frequently.

Wish I would have also had loaded the OTA Rootkeeper to block updates until finding out that there is no return. So I would NOT agree that it is better than before for me.

Feedback Score
    1. I just installed droidwall 1.5.7 on my rooted droid x . For some reason there are no "select all" check boxes on at the top left of the app list . Not having the select all option makes setting it up verytime consuming . I wonder whats going on ?

2. Also installed Shady File Manger . How do I get to those files ?

Titanium backup by itself does not prevent the upgrade. Apparently you can use TiBu to freeze the updater package so that the phone doesn't update. I could not figure out what to freeze, so I used the method:
    Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.apk to BlurUpdater_VZW.apk.bak.
    Rename /system/app/BlurUpdater_VZW.odex to BlurUpdater_VZW.odex.bak.

You need a file manager that can do root stuff. I used Shady File Manager (free).
    Last edited by bamx2; 03-30-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    I lost my rooting with that update on my Droid 2 Global- Super User is still sitting there, Droid Wall etc. and can't be uninstalled or removed.
    I was able to remove SU and all the other apps that required root access through the applications housekeeping tool under settings.

Feedback Score
    1. I just installed droidwall 1.5.7 on my rooted droid x . For some reason there are no "select all" check boxes on at the top left of the app list . Not having the select all option makes setting it up verytime consuming . I wonder whats going on ?

2. Also installed Shady File Manger . How do I get to those files ?
    1. I don't have a check all box in droidwall either. Once you get it set up, though, you wouldn't really need one.

2. I did not find Shady File Manager all that intuituve to use, but the price is right. It doesn't normally start in the root directory. On the upper left is an icon with a left arrow next to it that pops you up a directory level. Hit that to get to root and then navigate to /system/app.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Hi, do I understand correctly that Onavo Count and even Onavo Extend will not be able to block the mobile data usage of Droid apps on CDMA and LTE networks like Verizon and Sprint? If so, I guess that means Onavo only works well on AT&T, T-Mobile, and other GSM networks?

So if Onavo Count and even Onavo Extend can't block mobile data on Verizon, I suppose that also means Onavo can't restrict apps to WIFI use only?

I just installed Onavo Count but when I clicked "App Watch," I couldn't find a way to restrict to WIFI the listing for "Android OS + others". This HTC Droid Incredible wants to download an 87 Megabyte Android Software update, so I don't dare turn on the phone's Mobile Data Network.

I thought Onavo would safely enable me to turn on Mobile Data by restricting the Software Update to WIFI, but I guess not...

You'd think Google would design Android better.
    Last edited by Built_Well; 04-20-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Feedback Score
    It would be great if Onavo would eventually be able to do all of that for CDMA phones, but when I tried it a month or so age, I found the same as you did.

The only way to fully restrict cellular data usage is to root and install DroidWall.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    The only way to fully restrict cellular data usage is to root and install DroidWall.
    Thanks very much. Not sure what to do. Some folks above wrote that upgrading to newer versions of the Android OS will disable rooting and root-run applications like Droidwall--at least on the Droid models they've been using (the Droid 2 Global phone and the Droid X).

So does this mean if I root the Droid Incredible and install Droidwall, I absolutely have to prevent the Droid Incredible from automatically updating its Android OS ?
    Last edited by Built_Well; 04-20-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast