Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A quick little comparison (Wind vs Mobilcity) most of you already know **PIC**

Device(s)
    Nexus S, Nokia N900, LG Optimus T, Nokia N95, Nokia 8801, Motorola V600, SE T616, Nokia 6100,
    Carrier(s)
    Wind, Speakout, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I guess you don't travel much. I can confirm that it is very difficult for a tourist to buy a sim card in Japan. Language is not an issue.

Renting a sim card in Japan is possible though.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEdge View Post
    For what reason? I find this hard to believe. Maybe you failed to speak the language, with a seller that only spoke the native language?

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alxlabs View Post
    I'm not that stupid. Changing apn did not help - it was misconfiguration on the provider's side.
    That doesnt mean that happened because you being a foreigner, the cellphone service in the UK was confusing for me because their systems are very confusing to me, same with the cellphone companies in Germany and Sri Lanka, very confusing to foreigners.

Device(s)
    Nexus S, Nokia N900, LG Optimus T, Nokia N95, Nokia 8801, Motorola V600, SE T616, Nokia 6100,
    Carrier(s)
    Wind, Speakout, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by knowitalljerk View Post
    Italy. Unless you have a national tax collection (or something) card/number, no sim for you!
    It's possible to get a sim card in Italy. I've done it. You need to generate a "Codice Fiscale" and have your passport information available and then you can get a sim card.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    In Japan in Korea it is illegal for foreigners with temporary visitor status to have local phone unless you rent it. I'm not sure why this is the case in Taiwan.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by v3inew View Post
    That doesnt mean that happened because you being a foreigner, the cellphone service in the UK was confusing for me because their systems are very confusing to me, same with the cellphone companies in Germany and Sri Lanka, very confusing to foreigners.
    I never said that in UK it was because I'm foreigner. I just said that in Japan/Korea/Taiwan I was refused because I was foreigner. In Iceland/UK/Singapore/China there was a need to go thru CSR to get all the features enabled and only in UK I was able to do so due to numerous reasons. My point was that this hassle is OK if you are not limited to several hrs in the country or you are not travelling on business.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    SO, this is a thread just about Toronto? lol

Here's a real comparison.

Mobilicity = Approx 311 cell sites in Canada
    Wind = Approx 687 cell sites in Canada

WIND has about double the towers, a whole extra city covered, and purchased double the spectrum.

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dope Man View Post
    It's possible to get a sim card in Italy. I've done it. You need to generate a "Codice Fiscale" and have your passport information available and then you can get a sim card.
    I second the "it's possible". Done it many times, never needed to generate a codice fiscale, gave them my passport and it was enough.

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Foreigner cannot buy sim card in many countries on top of that I don't have a time for this niether want to bother with call forwarding to keep my number
    News to me, I've purchase SIM in Hong Kong and China just by showing a passport, or sometimes no id at all. Purchased SIM in the US without id (yes, post-911).

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCredible View Post

WIND has about double the towers, a whole extra city covered, and purchased double the spectrum.
    thanks! finally a reply with on topic comments...

Feedback Score
    PS In some countries you can get a sim card but there are other troubles. n UK (with 3UK) I got voice working but spent in total 3-4hrs with CSR on the phone before got data to work.
    This is surprising, in the UK, O2 gave me the run around and never got data working, they actually suggested i go to 3UK, which I did and data worked instantly, no setup required.

Feedback Score
    I never said that in UK it was because I'm foreigner. I just said that in Japan/Korea/Taiwan I was refused because I was foreigner. In Iceland/UK/Singapore/China there was a need to go thru CSR to get all the features enabled and only in UK I was able to do so due to numerous reasons. My point was that this hassle is OK if you are not limited to several hrs in the country or you are not travelling on business.
    In countries where you don't speak the native language, have you tried asking hotel reception to help you. That often works for me.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G + BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCredible View Post

Yeah but that only means their coverage area is bigger, not denser.
    Profile Assist for BlackBerry - Free for a limited time.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    Yeah but that only means their coverage area is bigger, not denser.
    In the Vancouver downtown peninsula (west of Main) WIND has 11 towers and Mobilicity has 7.

Rogers alone has over 30 in the same area - so I am sure there will still be lots of improvement with more tower density.

Device(s)
    HTC Amaze 4G + BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbez View Post
    In the Vancouver downtown peninsula (west of Main) WIND has 11 towers and Mobilicity has 7.

Rogers alone has over 30 in the same area - so I am sure there will still be lots of improvement with more tower density.
    Mobilicity launched 1.5 months ago in Vancouver though, Im mainly talking about GTA.

Feedback Score
    This is the reason I went with wind first when I was gonna leave telus. I kept roaming and going to away and gettin sos. Gave it two days and dumped it. Picked up mobi yesterday and I get 2 to 3 bars in my house most of the time. What's even funnier is wind has a tower 8 blocks east of me right on my street lol. Go figure everything was pointing to wind being better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast