Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Verizon iPhone 4 coming out next tuesday... what about T-mobile!!!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    What's funny though is that it really has to be some kind of exclusivity or something in the US because at least T-Mobile has 2G/EDGE to fall back on if it loses connection.

Look at us in Canada, Bell and Telus both got the iPhone but there is no backbone to their 3G+ setup. I have a friend with Telus and when he looses his connection, that's it, there's nothing to fall back on. I was very surprised Apple would let that happen. So I don't see why they wouldn't even make a 1700/AWS capable iPhone..... it just defies all logic really.

1. Does Apple want more units sold? Check!
    2. Does T-Mobile want more subscribers? Check!
    3. ?????
    4. Profit!
    Phone History

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Plazmic Flame View Post
    What's funny though is that it really has to be some kind of exclusivity or something in the US because at least T-Mobile has 2G/EDGE to fall back on if it loses connection.

Look at us in Canada, Bell and Telus both got the iPhone but there is no backbone to their 3G+ setup. I have a friend with Telus and when he looses his connection, that's it, there's nothing to fall back on. I was very surprised Apple would let that happen. So I don't see why they wouldn't even make a 1700/AWS capable iPhone..... it just defies all logic really.

1. Does Apple want more units sold? Check!
    2. Does T-Mobile want more subscribers? Check!
    3. ?????
    4. Profit!
    I think not including AWS was a concession to AT&T to prevent even more iPhones ending up on the TMob network as part of their exclusivity contract. Now that they will be on Verizon, that exclusivity is obviously over, but I wonder if both AT&T and V would ask that AWS still not be included or if Apple would still omit it as a favour to both of them, especially as a gesture to Verizon so as not to steal their launch thunder. I think it already has 5 GSM bands and only utilizes 4, so AWS could conceivably happen anytime.
    Unlocked iPhone XS Max 256GB, Unlocked JetBlack 128GB iPhone 7Plus, Unlocked 64GB iPhone 6, unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked 16GB iPhone 4
    $60/10GB Unlimited Canada-wide anytime minutes, Unlimited international messaging (SMS/MMS) CD, VM

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    I think not including AWS was a concession to AT&T to prevent even more iPhones ending up on the TMob network as part of their exclusivity contract. Now that they will be on Verizon, that exclusivity is obviously over, but I wonder if both AT&T and V would ask that AWS still not be included or if Apple would still omit it as a favour to both of them, especially as a gesture to Verizon so as not to steal their launch thunder. I think it already has 5 GSM bands and only utilizes 4, so AWS could conceivably happen anytime.
    That's true, I like the way you put it. I guess we could see something like Verizon launching the device and then Steve Jobs announcing a T-Mobile version 6 months down the line. I really hope it happens....

Device(s)
    HTC Maple
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

T-mobile was the first carrier with a Android phone, and the Nexus One was designed for them. Apple will release a tmobile-USA compatible phone when he'll freezes over.
    Most Canadians with wireless service don't know about the Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Service

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

T-mobile was the first carrier with a Android phone, and the Nexus One was designed for them. Apple will release a tmobile-USA compatible phone when he'll freezes over.
    People said the same thing when Verizon did the "There's a map for that" and the "Droid does" ads. I think the reason being to spite them they wouldn't ever do it. We'll see.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only way the iPhone will be on T-Mobile is if for some reason they're legally obliged to.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpieFiend View Post
    The only way the iPhone will be on T-Mobile is if for some reason they're legally obliged to.
    Definitely disagree with this. Apple wants it all and the only way to get it is to offer you're product on ALL carriers worldwide.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    What about when AT&T, Rogers, etc start to use their 1700Mhz spectrum? Also, with the 700Mhz auction in Canada (and possibly the US), it's possible this band could get added to it for a 2012 model.

As for it actually coming to Verizon, I still have my doubts.
    1) Why hasn't anyone found the FCC page for it if it's coming out so soon?
    2) When has anything like this slipped out of Cupertino? If someone found an iPhone at a bar in California and it has some new chip inside then I'd believe it.

Time will tell though.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How many years of rumours for the "Verizon iPhone" have there been?

Oh, ever since BEFORE THE iPHONE CAME OUT.

I'll believe it when I see it, though if I do see it, I will not eat my shorts. Or shirt. Or hat. Maybe the stub I have with my bookie, but that's it.
    What, you trust what I say? I'm just some random guy/gal on the intertubes.
    I am not a lawyer, nor does anything I say constitute legal advice.
    Learn how to use Google.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure Apple wants to increase its install base. No exclusivity contract will last forever as far as Apple goes. I don't believe Apple is the type of company to let itself become chained down to a company/carrier that would restrict its ability to acquire new customers. An AWS compatible iPhone will probably come about soon enough - just the CDMA Verizon model will be released sooner. Tuesday's Verizon event should be interesting.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by knowitalljerk View Post
    How many years of rumours for the "Verizon iPhone" have there been?

Oh, ever since BEFORE THE iPHONE CAME OUT.

I'll believe it when I see it, though if I do see it, I will not eat my shorts. Or shirt. Or hat. Maybe the stub I have with my bookie, but that's it.
    Did you miss the news today?

Here are the facts

1. Apple black out vacation dates for the week of Feb 3rd (expected launch date)
    2. Verizon sent out invites to press event for 1/11/11. The most interesting part about the invite is who's invited and who's not. Exclusive Apple bloggers, invited; Gizmodo, who normally is invited to all Verizon event, is not (assume it's because they are blacklisted from all Apple events).
    3. Wall Street Journal confirmed it from their sources

Also a phone parts video was released yesterday for the next iPhone and it was pulled after Apple cited copyright violations.

So this is guarrantee to be an Verizon/Apple event to announce the iPhone on Jan 11, and it goes on sale in the first week of February. This phone will just be the iPhone 4 with CDMA. There will not be any upgrades, so that's why Apple isn't announcing it themselves.

And for those wanting a AWS version of the iPhone... Watch all those T-Mobile myTouch 4G commercials (not just because the girl isn't, that's just a bonus). You will noticed that in every one of those, they are making fun of AT&T and painting the iPhone guy as a poor chap who deserves better. I would not be surprised if in future commercials the iPhone guy decides to hook up with the T-Mobile girl.

Also AT&T has also started marketing their HSPA+ network as "4G" like T-Mobile. It's not out of the question to see the next iPhone in June/July to be an update iPhone 4 with HSPA and AWS; and it will called the iPhone 4G or 4GS.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonavin View Post
    1. Apple black out vacation dates for the week of Feb 3rd (expected launch date)
    2. Verizon sent out invites to press event for 1/11/11. The most interesting part about the invite is who's invited and who's not. Exclusive Apple bloggers, invited; Gizmodo, who normally is invited to all Verizon event, is not (assume it's because they are blacklisted from all Apple events).
    3. Wall Street Journal confirmed it from their sources

So this is guarrantee to be an Verizon/Apple event to announce the iPhone on Jan 11, and it goes on sale in the first week of February. This phone will just be the iPhone 4 with CDMA. There will not be any upgrades, so that's why Apple isn't announcing it themselves.
    How do you know it would be a launch for a Verizon iPhone? It's more plausible that Apple will be revealing their new iPad. Apple usually holds these events specific times a year for specific product lines. For example new iPods are always announced every September, new iPhones around June. Apple held the first iPad event in January last year, so it's possible that next weeks event is for the new iPad.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by v3inew View Post
    How do you know it would be a launch for a Verizon iPhone? It's more plausible that Apple will be revealing their new iPad. Apple usually holds these events specific times a year for specific product lines. For example new iPods are always announced every September, new iPhones around June. Apple held the first iPad event in January last year, so it's possible that next weeks event is for the new iPad.
    You think Apple will let somebody else announce a new product like an iPad 2? The fact that Verizon is announcing it seems to suggest that it's just the same product but with CDMA compatibility. So there won't be any upgrades compared to the iPhone 4. IPad 2, is rumored to have significant changes.... The kind of changes that Apple would want to announce themselves. Besides, iPad 2 announcement is still rumored to be in late January, same time as last year.

WSJ did confirmed with their sources that it is indeed a Verizon iPhone announcement. I don't know if that means anything to you since they are just a small nobody blog site.

Device(s)
    Nokia 7 Plus (UAE), Moto G6 Play (Canada)
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My take on this: While I personally don't like the iPhone--well designed, pretty, but overpriced and IMO now matched/beaten this year with the continued Android invasion--it is a very popular device. Apple, logically wanting to make the most $$$, will most likely release a CDMA iPhone 4 soon.

However, even IF an AWS version was released, would that help Wind? Consider: Apple gets a cut of monthly contract revenue, right? Meaning Wind's small network, tiny subscriber base, and *no-contract* approach make it Extremely unlikely we will see the device.

This means the only option is to go grab one from T-Mo--would many people be willing to drop $600+ on it? <--Genuine question, as much as I love Android, I would *never* spend so much for a phone lol. Additionally, supposing a huge percentage of Wind subscribers do opt to go this route, I could foresee major data issues down the road, as the iPhone users slow the 1-year old network to a crawl.

I think it's going to be a moot point anyway, as there's little chance of Verizon wanting to share the spotlight. Perhaps 6-12 months down the road T-Mo may get it.
    Come for the savings. Stay for the unlimited.

Device(s)
    Android Dev Phone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brownk2j View Post
    However, even IF an AWS version was released, would that help Wind? Consider: Apple gets a cut of monthly contract revenue, right? Meaning Wind's small network, tiny subscriber base, and *no-contract* approach make it Extremely unlikely we will see the device.
    Apple already sells the iPhone off-contract directly to consumers. I doubt they get a cut of monthly revenue when people buy their iPhone like that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast