Thread: Svdo

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Svdo

I read a post in another forum asking about simultaneous voice/data. I then read up on it some and gathered this but would like the knowledgeable people to comment and elaborate:

1. SVDO is to roll out later this year. T or F.

2. It is not directly related to or a part of or dependent on LTE. T or F.

3. A phone must have a suitable chip. T or F.

4. None of the soon-to-be available phones qualify. T or F.

5. EVDO obviously has this disadvantage, but it must have advantages to have been selected or was it all that was available? Did it have anything to do with prioritizing voice quality? Anyone heard of dropped calls on GSM ? T or F.

6. So do we have dropped calls to look forward to on SVDO? T or F.

Just want to give everyone something else to worry about, lol and another reason to postpone upgrading, lol.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    I read a post in another forum asking about simultaneous voice/data. I then read up on it some and gathered this but would like the knowledgeable people to comment and elaborate:

1. SVDO is to roll out later this year. T or F.
    No idea.

2. It is not directly related to or a part of or dependent on LTE. T or F.
    No, it's not related to LTE whatsoever. It just means that a mobile handset has two RF transceiver paths, one for 1xRTT (voice) and one for 1xEV-DO (HSPD).

3. A phone must have a suitable chip. T or F.
    Yes, that is correct. In fact it's a handset-only technology. There's really nothing that needs to be done network-side.

4. None of the soon-to-be available phones qualify. T or F.
    No idea.

5. EVDO obviously has this disadvantage, but it must have advantages to have been selected or was it all that was available? Did it have anything to do with prioritizing voice quality? Anyone heard of dropped calls on GSM ? T or F.
    EV-DO was supposed to be a stepping stone to EV-DV, an integrated voice/data solution similar to UMTS. However, due to lack of interest from the carriers it never materialized. So VZW got stuck with 1xRTT and 1xEV-DO, which meant mutually exclusive voice or data connectivity. SVDO basically uses the "big hammer" approach to fix this by essentially duplicating much of the circuitry in the handset so you can have both simultaneously. It's still not an integrated solution the way UMTS is, or EV-DV would have been, it's just a band-aid.

6. So do we have dropped calls to look forward to on SVDO? T or F.
    There should be no more or less dropped calls with SVDO than there were before.

Just want to give everyone something else to worry about, lol and another reason to postpone upgrading, lol.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    thx, XFF. So you're the one who's got that signature! Thanks for the clarification. If you or others care to elaborate more...The article I read, CNET I believe, led one to believe it was network technology, thus the "roll out later this year". Surely we are only talking about one subject? SVDO, a handset technology, is Verizon's upcoming simultaneous voice/data solution? It's immaterial to me but I can see how it would be important in some communication to look up emails, etc. If it's handset only, has it been cost-prohibitive? Available long? Like you said, just a bandaid that was to be superseded later but wasn't? But now is the permanent solution until 3g is replaced?

Thanks again.

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    EV-DO was supposed to be a stepping stone to EV-DV, an integrated voice/data solution similar to UMTS. However, due to lack of interest from the carriers it never materialized. So VZW got stuck with 1xRTT and 1xEV-DO, which meant mutually exclusive voice or data connectivity.
    I wouldn't say that VZW got "stuck" with EV-DO. In fact, it seems like they're one of the main reasons why EV-DV died off.

http://goo.gl/nWmLa

[i]But Steve Searles, Nortel Networks vice president of marketing for CDMA, believes that the decisive point for EV-DO had come long before. The technology was already gaining momentum with Asian carriers, but it was when the world's largest CDMA carrier, Verizon Wireless, announced it would pursue EV-DO in 2003 that the true shift in momentum occurred. Verizon's size wasn't the only consideration. It was also the competitive peculiarities of the U.S. market. Verizon's decision set off a chain of events that caused all North American carriers to re-evaluate their technology plans.

“The day that Verizon announced it was doing DO, the rest of the industry knew it was doing DO,” Searles said. “Sprint needed to come up with a competitive response to Verizon. DO was the only technology available. It was a forgone conclusion.”

http://goo.gl/D77Hi

You don't hear all that much about it anymore, but once upon a time EV-DV, a 3G wireless standard with download speeds as fast as 3 Mbps and uploads as fast as 1.8 Mbps (which makes it easier to make video calls), was going to be Sprint's secret weapon to edge out Verizon in the wireless wars (Verizon having decided to go with EV-DO, which is slower and less efficient than EV-DV).

Had VZW supported EV-DV it seems likely that a lot of CDMA carriers would have followed. However, they didn't and the rest is history.
    Thrill me...

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    The MDM9600 baseband that is used in the Droid Bionic and the Thunderbolt will support SV-DO, IIRC. Whether the handsets themselves will remains to be seen.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    It is not directly related to or a part of or dependent on LTE. T or F.
    XFF's technical answers aside, in the context of your question you're waiting for LTE if you want SVDO on VZW.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well XFF, the way I read it off of Qualcomm's slides, there does need to be some modification to the network, because SVDO is a "complementary service" attached to 1X advanced which does require new channel cards. Fierce Wireless has said that Verizon will transition to SVDO this year, so perhaps they have already completed the switch and it will be announced with the iPhone tomorrow. Then all the other phones that have the right chip will benefit too.

SVDO to come to Verizon in 2011

Qualcomm Slides

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    Well XFF, the way I read it off of Qualcomm's slides, there does need to be some modification to the network, because SVDO is a "complementary service" attached to 1X advanced which does require new channel cards. Fierce Wireless has said that Verizon will transition to SVDO this year, so perhaps they have already completed the switch and it will be announced with the iPhone tomorrow. Then all the other phones that have the right chip will benefit too.

SVDO to come to Verizon in 2011

Qualcomm Slides
    Did you even read what you quoted?

Simultaneous active 1X voice and EV-DO data, sometimes referred to as SVDO, is a new standard-independent device feature that significantly enhances the user experience without impacting the infrastructure side.
    The SVDO feature will be supported in new devices, and will work with 1X or 1X Advanced with EV-DO Rev. A or Rev. B. Qualcomm is planning to support the SVDO feature in all of its new EV-DO MSM chipsets.
    In other words, there is no requirement to implement 1x Advanced along with SVDO. A carrier may opt to do so, but the two are completely independent and complementary to each other.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My mistake, geez.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 CDMA
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Can we assume then that the only infrastructure requirements are that VZW would ALLOW a phone to have both a voice and data channel open?

Those slides about 1XAdvanced suggested Qualcomm would be supporting EV-DO in all their "new" MSM chipsets and was published in May 2009. Is it safe to assume then that even though the chipset supports it, no manufacturer has seen fit to follow through on the brute force method and stuck two radios in a phone?

Sounds to me like being stuck between a rock and a hard place: Either the manufacturer stuffs two radios into increasingly smaller phones at extra cost, or you deal with packet-switched voice over EV-DO, for which there is no good standard yet.

Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    Why would they bother with SVDO anymore. I doubt it will happen with LTE covering the whole network relatively soon.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304 View Post
    Why would they bother with SVDO anymore. I doubt it will happen with LTE covering the whole network relatively soon.
    For some reason, not all LTE phones will be able to handle simultaneous voice/data. I believe the only phone that has been verified to do both so far is the Thunderbolt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Yes, that is correct. In fact it's a handset-only technology. There's really nothing that needs to be done network-side.
    Does this mean that there is no way that SVDO is coming to existing phones?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S 2/Moto Atrix 4g
    Carrier(s)
    1. Sprint /2.Straight Talk (Unlimited $45) GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by f2racer View Post
    Does this mean that there is no way that SVDO is coming to existing phones?

Thanks!
    Well it looks like the Thunderbolt will have it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/14/w...s-3g-voice-an/
    Fios Home Network

Evo 4g•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••GS2 4g