Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: An appeal begins Wednesday of the Harper cabinetís 2009 decision to give the green

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

An appeal begins Wednesday of the Harper cabinetís 2009 decision to give the green

An appeal begins Wednesday of the Harper cabinet’s 2009 decision to give the green light to Globalive – a cellular company with strong Egyptian ties – even though Ottawa’s telecom regulator had already ruled it wasn’t Canadian enough.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1875168/

This may pose serious problems for wind. If the courts find against wind the debt would have to be sold off to where Orescom in not a majority shareholder.

Vimpelcom will bail out now or give 5 cents on the dollar for wind and with Orescom being in legal battles overseas in does not look good.
    All my comments are my views and opinions only.

Feedback Score
    Hey Jimmy,

you missed the TELUS forum, go back and click a little higher.

Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by callmejim View Post

This may pose serious problems for wind. If the courts find against wind the debt would have to be sold off to where Orescom in not a majority shareholder.

Vimpelcom will bail out now or give 5 cents on the dollar for wind and with Orescom being in legal battles overseas in does not look good.
    VimpelCom does not own Orascom or have a stake in Wind Mobile. And when/if the merger happens VimpelCom will only have a 20% stake in Orascom. Wind is controlled by Globalive and it's debt by Orascom.

Device(s)
    Google Galaxy Nexus, BlackBerry Torch 9810
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Telus HSPA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by callmejim View Post
    An appeal begins Wednesday of the Harper cabinet’s 2009 decision to give the green light to Globalive – a cellular company with strong Egyptian ties – even though Ottawa’s telecom regulator had already ruled it wasn’t Canadian enough.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1875168/

Vimpelcom wouldn't make the situation any different.

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You do know that since the cat is out of the bag, there is absolutely no way in hell that Wind is being shut down right?
    What, you trust what I say? I'm just some random guy/gal on the intertubes.
    I am not a lawyer, nor does anything I say constitute legal advice.
    Learn how to use Google.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This has been beaten to death here, do we really need to go through it again?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by v3inew View Post
    VimpelCom does not own Orascom or have a stake in Wind Mobile. And when/if the merger happens VimpelCom will only have a 20% stake in Orascom. Wind is controlled by Globalive and it's debt by Orascom.
    The courts will decide that.
    Last edited by callmejim; 01-21-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Even if the court decides against Globalive, the Industry Minister can enact legislation to allow them to operate. Wireless competition is something all parties will support, so it really is no big deal. Not to mention this is something the people will get behind since this seems like an election year.

Do you really think the government will allow competition to cease at this point?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by knowitalljerk View Post
    You do know that since the cat is out of the bag, there is absolutely no way in hell that Wind is being shut down right?
    I do not see any comment about wind being shut down. I think I clearly stated that I think Orescom's shares would have to be sold off to another party so that orescom would not be majority holder. Nothing about shutting down.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Or the government could simply guarantee a loan for Wind or another party to buy out the shares. Again, not a big deal so why did you come in here trying to make one?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    No big deal? I think that all the other carriers are chomping at the bit on this one. It will be a big deal to Tony if wind loses and the debt purchaser takes over head office. How much will the present shareholders give up in value to a new buyer.

What foreign company would invest in Canada with the laws we have about foreign ownership.

This is big business and it is dirty.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I think it's a good point. These foreign ownership restrictions are stupid. It's not like telecom is cultural. Just let the big players in. Let AT&T and Verizon buy Bell and Telus and Rogers.
    Formerly FidoFan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prevailing Wind View Post
    I think it's a good point. These foreign ownership restrictions are stupid. It's not like telecom is cultural. Just let the big players in. Let AT&T and Verizon buy Bell and Telus and Rogers.
    Oh gosh please no! Have you the seen the pricing of at&t and Verizon plans?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Oh gosh please no! Have you the seen the pricing of at&t and Verizon plans?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    So true! American plans are generally more expensive in every way. I love how everyone here has that false idea that the grass is somehow greener on the other side...lol.

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prevailing Wind View Post
    And then watch how fast the jobs are outsourced to the US because the dollar is at parity. A lot of US companies that used to outsource their jobs here have stopped doing so because of how much they are paying.

Not to mention there's no way I trust huge companies that already have more subscribers than all of Canada combined to actually do what's best when we would be considered such small potatoes for them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast