Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: should i buy the evo now or wait?

Feedback Score

should i buy the evo now or wait?

the evo has been out for what... 6-7 months now? won't there be a replacement for it coming out soon(evo shift is not a replacement)? im curious because i am looking to switch over to sprint from at&t and don't want to get it and have the replacement come out a few weeks later. thanks

Device(s)
    HTC Evo 4G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The Shift is not a replacement, it's smaller and has fewer features, although it has a better processor. Most people are expecting an Evo 2 to be released in June, a year after the release of the original Evo, even though nothing has been announced or even leaked yet.

Sprint hasn't announced any new Android phones besides the Shift, but they probably will in March at CTIA. If there's gonna be an Evo 2, it will probably be announced then. They will also be announcing what is supposedly an "industry first" next month, so you might want to wait for at least that.

Feedback Score
    i see. thanks for the reply

does sprint have an early upgrade available(for a fee)?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Never heard of an upgrade for a fee. If you can afford it, purchase your EVO cash, activate the line and you will automatically qualify for $150.00 phone upgrade with the new line of service which you can save until another device is launched.

You will still have your EVO which you can sell and use those $$$ towards the purchase of new phone.

Feedback Score
    oh really? i can do that? i did not know that... thank you

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You're welcome! I have the same situation. I have 3 lines which qualify for the full $150 and all three have EVO's which I purchased outright. If anything really cool launches I will sell something and use $$$ towards purchase of new device.

Bestbuy offers a price match and they apply rebate immediately so they are a good place to look. Only problem with them is the prices are as bit higher so you pay more taxes.....

Sent via the HowardForums Android app using my Samsung Galaxy Tab

Feedback Score
    i was able to get a new evo w/o contract from craigslist for $325 back in oct, should be about $300 right now.

when you resell it 6 months from now, or even 8 months from now, it should prob we worth at the very very least $200, which would mean your paying about $100...give or take, to rent a phone for $6 months.

i did it because i was 4 months away from being able to renew my contract, and my phone broke. but it worked out i really enjoy having this phone.

Feedback Score
    with a new contract (but with old phone) can i still cancel contract within 30 days if i am not satisfied with the service? AT&T service at my home is very poor and i am not sure how much better Sprint will be.

btw, Thank you for replies

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Device(s)
    HTC EVO 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    The Shift is not a replacement, it's smaller and has fewer features, although it has a better processor. Most people are expecting an Evo 2 to be released in June, a year after the release of the original Evo, even though nothing has been announced or even leaked yet.

Sprint hasn't announced any new Android phones besides the Shift, but they probably will in March at CTIA. If there's gonna be an Evo 2, it will probably be announced then. They will also be announcing what is supposedly an "industry first" next month, so you might want to wait for at least that.
    Sprint has that new dual screen android phone coming. Both screens combine to become 4.5in square. Kind of sweet.
    Desmond,
    Wilmington, NC

Motorola I60c---> Motorola I860---> Blackberry 7100i---> Palm Treo 700wx---> Samsung Instinct---> HTC Touch Pro---> HTC Touch Pro 2---> HTC EVO 4G (present)

Device(s)
    HTC EVO 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by con5tant View Post
    the evo has been out for what... 6-7 months now? won't there be a replacement for it coming out soon(evo shift is not a replacement)? im curious because i am looking to switch over to sprint from at&t and don't want to get it and have the replacement come out a few weeks later. thanks
    I just got the EVO a month ago and after see'g what other 4g phones HTC has come out with. Other than memory being 8gb (I can use SD card np) the processor is th same 1ghz snapdragon processor so I jumped on the EVO which i got through Sprint for 139.99 after rebate so I jumped. I also got my Moms LG Optimus S Android phone for free after rebate with this deal. I love the HTC EVO. Can't wait to root it and over clock processor to 1.2ghz some of you other EVO owners have. So I'd say go for it as you won't look back.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo 4G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anfbro25 View Post
    Sprint has that new dual screen android phone coming. Both screens combine to become 4.5in square. Kind of sweet.
    That was the "industry first" I mentioned in my post, the month before their announcement. Personally, I'm not impressed--It's using an old CPU, which will not help in running those dual screens. The one line going down the middle in tablet mode isn't gonna be fun, either.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennW View Post
    That was the "industry first" I mentioned in my post, the month before their announcement. Personally, I'm not impressed--It's using an old CPU, which will not help in running those dual screens. The one line going down the middle in tablet mode isn't gonna be fun, either.
    The video I don't see any lagging at all.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

I was able to get a very clean used EVO for 250 off craigslist local to me

I was able to get a very clean used EVO for 250 off craigslist local to me so we could meet at a Sprint store to confirm a clean ESN and activate on my account...

Add in the aftermarket case and Silicone Gel skin included by the seller, plus no tax and the price was not bad...

Add in I did not need to renew my contract or use or wait for my upgrade due in July ...so I can jump on that EVO 2 if and went it comes out...

For me this was the way to go

Also I'm on SERO... so to go to the EVO I had bump up to the SERO Premium as required . I did that a day before by calling customer support because they cannot do that in the store.

Then at the store they were able to add the EVO and data plan extra with no problem.

FYI I came from a Touch Pro 2 and the power of the EVO is a major leap...it is a small tablet computer...I'm very impressed

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy 3 Samsung Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Be patient and wait for sales at WireFly, TigerDirect etc. I got one a couple months ago for $119 shipped.
    I was at the end of my contract. It took me a few months of monitoring different sites to get this deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast