Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [2011-1-24] Michael Geist: Rogers' Scare Tactics and "Unsafe Public Wifi"

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Post [2011-1-24] Michael Geist: Rogers' Scare Tactics and "Unsafe Public Wifi"

Folks,

Looks like Prof. Geist is ticked off by the FUD marketing scheme again...

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5592/125

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Geist
    Rogers' Scare Tactics and "Unsafe Public Wifi"

Monday January 24, 2011

As I tweeted yesterday, I had a surprising experience with Rogers customer service yesterday. I was calling to add a text plan to my wife's cellphone account (the fact that her current plan - which includes hundreds of voice minutes, 1 GB of data, and an assortment of additional services - still charges 15 cents (soon 20 cents) per text is fodder for different post). After I agreed to pay a few more dollars each month to cover texts, the agent asked if used my laptop to access public wifi networks. When I said that I did, he asked if I knew the dangers of using public wifi, which I was told included the possibility of hackers accessing my data or inserting viruses onto my computer. Given the risks, the agent continued, might I be interested in the Rogers' Rocket Stick?

In my view, these scare tactics are shameful. Mobile internet services are good products that can and should be sold on the basis of the convenience they provide, not by scaring consumers into thinking that alternative access services are unsafe. Yet the Rogers agent went for the FUD approach despite the facts that:

* Rogers operates hundreds of public wifi hotspots across the country. When promoting its hotspots, it describes them as providing "high-speed, secure access to the Internet."

* Rogers permits Internet tethering from many smartphones. Many users may find that tethering provides a more cost effective solution than purchasing yet another mobile Internet device. The agent did not mention this alternative.

* There are risks with public wifi, but those can be mitigated through a variety of steps on users' computers. Advice on what do include Microsoft's advice on public wifi networks, Lifehacker on how to stay safe on public wifi networks, and Ars Technica on staying safe at public hotspots.

Bad or inappropriate customer service can happen in any company, but when taken with the Competition Bureau $10 million fine for Rogers' misleading wireless claims and the CRTC's concern with its non-compliance with Internet traffic management disclosure requirements, it does not paint a pretty picture of one of Canada's dominant communications companies.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    SocialMedia, RogersChris, RogersElise..heck, RogersMary? Any response to this on behalf of Rogers?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Re Social Media Response - I'm torn between wagering a dollar they just turtle-up on this and say nothing, or they disgorge something that includes either "coaching" or "constantly improving" in the mumblecheese.

To me it's just another shining example of the shoddy QA that Rog imposes upon its reps, and the predictable FUD/malarkey/ignorance that results.

A corporation has no conscience - it is as a sociopath (to indulge the anthropomorphism).

Device(s)
    iPhone4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    once i called to confirm a late payment,After everything was said the rep goe.Do you need a rocket stick, I kindly decline. And then the rep goes you need one to connect to your labtop. I said no thats what my iphone is for.This is whne i had 6gb data.

And then she goes well the rocket stick runs 21 mb/ps. Then this got me mad cus they dont even run 5 mb/ps usually. Then i said you want me to pay 30 bucks for 500 mb to get the same speed. Her answer was yes. I laughed and just ended the conversation.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers, of course!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    SocialMedia, RogersChris, RogersElise..heck, RogersMary? Any response to this on behalf of Rogers?
    Hey All. Nice to "see" you all again I'm actually not sure about this one but I'll check with a few resources and get back to you as soon as I can.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Heh. BV discreetly puts down their hand, the one that was waving around a loonie a moment ago, slides it into a pocket and cocks an ear...

Though since Mary used the phrase "check with a few resources" I think I have an idea of what to expect.

Anyone want to predict what Mary will say?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ^Yup

I bet you Mary will come back and say something along the lines of "no matter what internet connection you use, ultimately, nothing is 100% secure. However, when you subscribe to ANY Rogers services, we try our best to ensure maximum level of protection for our users".

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Although I've defended Rogers alot in the past, I have to say that the competition is really getting to them. I know they're not admitting it, but seriously if thngs don't change they will lose customers in no time.

The other day I called the Ret department to put back my SAF credit, and dude had the balls to tell me that he will send my account to the Revenue because I already have enough credits. So why is it that when I resigned the contract, the Rep told me that I cud always call back to have it put back after a year.

Who the hell pays for the SAF in this day and age. I understand that I've got a grandfathered plan, but why not just removed it as a good gesture. Instead the dude is telling me to change my plan and end up paying $2 more than I already do with the SAF charge...................On top of that he starts telling me that I have the cheapest plan in the world................

Well I took an opportunity by telling him about what Wind and Mobilicity are offering. Yeah I know that Rogers has a superior network and better coverage, but I think us defending Rogers in here has gotten to their head, because even the Rep started giving me the same BS.................even though its true( for now), but seriously how long will they be claiming this.

I know I've been on their side all along, but I think Rogers deserves critism for acting like thugs from high school for the convicts..............

Common Rogers, show some real metal, and welcome competition. Change for the better than leaving everything the way it is. Instead of treating ur customers like fools and idiots, treat them with respect and offer some real plans that align more with the competition.

My plans are still reasonable but limited. Its all I need, but having the Rep offer me to move me to a plan that has no SAF and costs more is utterly disgusting, and then also threathen me that he will send my account to the Revenue department because I have too many credits.

Seriously....Next time I call in, if the rep tells me he will have to send my account to the revenue, I will gladly tell him..........." please do go ahead and make my day ".................

Whats funny is at the end, the guy was offering me a family plan when I don't have a family..........

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    ^Yup

I bet you Mary will come back and say something along the lines of "no matter what internet connection you use, ultimately, nothing is 100% secure. However, when you subscribe to ANY Rogers services, we try our best to ensure maximum level of protection for our users".
    U shud know.....................

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, PostPaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theplayground View Post
    I know I've been on their side all along,
    I guess I'm inclined to ask you why.

(I try to favour the 'good guys' ... whoever they may be. In case of 'Rog v cx' it's the cx.)

Carrier(s)
    Rogers PAYG
    Feedback Score
    Rogers must be handing out some pretty serious commissions for these things. Last week I walked by a Rogers kiosk in the mall, and the rep jumped out of nowhere asking me if I wanted to buy a laptop for $100. I guess I paused a little too long instead of just walking away and he goes into this big speech about a netbook and a rocket stick for $100 that made absolutely no sense, assuming you know you can go buy the same netbook at the Source for $200, but Rogers wants a 3 year contract.

That's what you get when you incentivise sales without regard for customer service; the reps just make up bullsh|t to sell you something, and they couldn't care less afterwards because you're locked into a contract.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I think it's funny how the rogers social media group has sort of given up on HoFo when they realized their ******** didn't work here. At the same time, I'm disappointed that their turnover hasn't been higher. I'd rather work at McDonalds than in a ****** ~$40k/year job where I had to lie and try to scam others around the clock. The fact that HoFo users take their time to show them the real facts pretty much on a day-to-day basis and yet they still keep this stuff up is even more disappointing.

I wish they would just stop posting here, to be honest. When you think about it, they're paid to interrupt factual debate with lies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dd' View Post
    I think it's funny how the rogers social media group has sort of given up on HoFo when they realized their ******** didn't work here. At the same time, I'm disappointed that their turnover hasn't been higher. I'd rather work at McDonalds than in a ****** ~$40k/year job where I had to lie and try to scam others around the clock. The fact that HoFo users take their time to show them the real facts pretty much on a day-to-day basis and yet they still keep this stuff up is even more disappointing.

I wish they would just stop posting here, to be honest. When you think about it, they're paid to interrupt factual debate with lies.
    Disagree with you there. They are here to represent the official 'Company Line', yes, but I've seen quite a few people helped as a result of their presence here and in other places on the internet (including Twitter, etc.)

(As an aside, I find it rather ironic that you're saying that you'd rather work at McDonalds, considering their constant protestations that their food is 'healthy'.)

Device(s)
    Nokia E72, N8, L920
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dd' View Post

That's pretty black and white (we're completely right, they're completely wrong). It could be said there are two sides to every story and to their credit RogersMary did offer to investigate these practices. I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing wrong with Rogers trying to push some of their other services - every company does it. The use of scare tactics is a bit weak, but once again some companies will use fears to motivate people to purchase services. Just look at your average home security comercial with the bad guy busting down the door while Molly Homemaker is spending time with her innocent children.

I used to see a lot of people being grateful for the RSM team dropping in to offer help and thoughts, but it seems more and more like people have turned against them because of the perception they are towing the company line. It's a fine line, what would you expect them to say? "Yeah the company really screwed that one up, I struggle every day working for an organization that has absolutely no moral compass."

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    When the iPhone launched, and people were "debating data plans", you should have seen the tactics that reps were instructed to use...mind you, that was before the iPhone let you toggle data, and that was during the time data blocks weren't guaranteed to function properly, but still.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast